• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Help with my 2 ski quiver - east coast skier :)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
my revolts are 177cm . corbetts only have 170cm in the e-speed which is 68mm maybe too narrow for me.
Okay. Edited my post above belatedly. Anyway, a 177 carving ski will feel long compared with a 177 Revolt. My two cents would be to go shorter with the carver.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
would 177cm in the Head Supershapes be okay for me ? I was considering E-Magnum as well from Corbetts they have 163cm or 177cm in stock.
As others have mentioned, a carver with a much further back mount and a much more traditional mount point(about -13cm from Center) will make a 170cm Supershape feel longer than your 177cm Center mount twin.

Ski choice within the Supershape is not only Center width or length as some models have more sidecut, so not every 170cm has the same turning radius. Picked the E-Speed as it’s super quick edge to edge and should be nicer at speed than the 170cm E-Magnum.

@ARL67 brought up a point of some rare snowfall at Blue but would also consider afternoon crud there to be an issue when it’s not cold all day.
Your Revolt 87 aren’t great in soft snow/new snow or afternoon crud with their lack of rocker, taper and tips that bulldoze snow. Most modern 90’s mm and up twin tips will do much better in those conditions. I would swap to my 92mm plus twins in those conditions as they are much easier then.

I’d get the hard snow carver now for your “daily driver” but I’d also consider swapping out the Revolts in the future for a more modern and slightly wider twin. The new twin would still work great in the park but do much better when things are soft.
Then you’d have a great 2 ski quiver for almost all conditions in Ontario.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would stay with the 170 but it's your choice. If you want the 177 my question would be are you going to ski any bumps? The 177 will not be as much fun in the bumps.

TS
C

Chuy

Booting up
Skier
As others have mentioned, a carver with a much further back mount and a much more traditional mount point(about -13cm from Center) will make a 170cm Supershape feel longer than your 177cm Center mount twin.

Ski choice within the Supershape is not only Center width or length as some models have more sidecut, so not every 170cm has the same turning radius. Picked the E-Speed as it’s super quick edge to edge and should be nicer at speed than the 170cm E-Magnum.

@ARL67 brought up a point of some rare snowfall at Blue but would also consider afternoon crud there to be an issue when it’s not cold all day.
Your Revolt 87 aren’t great in soft snow/new snow or afternoon crud with their lack of rocker, taper and tips that bulldoze snow. Most modern 90’s mm and up twin tips will do much better in those conditions. I would swap to my 92mm plus twins in those conditions as they are much easier then.

I’d get the hard snow carver now for your “daily driver” but I’d also consider swapping out the Revolts in the future for a more modern and slightly wider twin. The new twin would still work great in the park but do much better when things are soft.
Then you’d have a great 2 ski quiver for almost all conditions in Ontario.
ARV 96 :p

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
For Glen Eden carving 165 cm long, would be better than 177, also 68 mm waist width is fine. Heck, even shorter would be better for Glen Eden, but only for Glen Eden, Chicopee, and the like, not for Blue or Mt. St. Louis.
I've skied all but Chicopee,(and I bet it isn't much different than Batawa) and there isn't that much difference. You're still falling off the Niagara escarpment. I ski a 68mm at Tremblant. 161 cm because of the tip rocker.

But I'm getting old and don't like the pain in my knees the wider skis give me trying to get the suckers on edge. I can only use them in soft snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
ARV 96 :p
The Faction Prodigy 2.0 would be similar weight and flex but the Prodigy has even better tip shape for passing over crud and much faster bases. ARV bases are built for low maintenance and rail abuse but are super slow.

End of the year Deals too on Prodigy 2.0 or 1.0 if you wanted a narrower version that would still outperform the Revolt in soft snow. Either would be great in moguls if they still had that little section on Sidewinder?
Been a few times to Glen Eden as it’s perfect for beginner friends to learn.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I've skied all but Chicopee,(and I bet it isn't much different than Batawa) and there isn't that much difference. You're still falling off the Niagara escarpment. I ski a 68mm at Tremblant. 161 cm because of the tip rocker.

But I'm getting old and don't like the pain in my knees the wider skis give me trying to get the suckers on edge. I can only use them in soft snow.
Snow conditions are pretty similar, with perhaps a little nicer snow at Mt. St. Louis - 68 mm is all good at any of them.

Blue Mountain, with three times the vertical drop of Glen EDEN and a little room to open it up and make faster longer turns is the place where you might be better off with a longer and longer turn radius than a 165 cm long 13-m radius carving ski - not that you can't have lots of fun and ski the 13 m 165 cm ski at blue and never reach it's limits, just that you might, if you like skiing fast, be better served by the longer option.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For Glen Eden carving 165 cm long, would be better than 177, also 68 mm waist width is fine. Heck, even shorter would be better for Glen Eden, but only for Glen Eden, Chicopee, and the like, not for Blue or Mt. St. Louis.

Snow conditions are pretty similar, with perhaps a little nicer snow at Mt. St. Louis - 68 mm is all good at any of them.

Blue Mountain, with three times the vertical drop of Glen EDEN and a little room to open it up and make faster longer turns is the place where you might be better off with a longer and longer turn radius than a 165 cm long 13-m radius carving ski - not that you can't have lots of fun and ski the 13 m 165 cm ski at blue and never reach it's limits, just that you might, if you like skiing fast, be better served by the longer option.
OMG. You guys. You're splitting hairs over an amout of vertical that is about 1/3 the bunny slope at Snowbird. It's all very short groomer runs on hard snow. Face it.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Okay, how much is Faction paying you? Spill it.
They SHOULD BE paying me!!! :golfclap:

I’d be getting them to remake 21 CT versions if I did work there, not these light Mana skis nobody wants……:doh:

The latest Prodigy line is a huge success and a very popular recommendation on Newschoolers and other sites.

TS
C

Chuy

Booting up
Skier
The Faction Prodigy 2.0 would be similar weight and flex but the Prodigy has even better tip shape for passing over crud and much faster bases. ARV bases are built for low maintenance and rail abuse but are super slow.

End of the year Deals too on Prodigy 2.0 or 1.0 if you wanted a narrower version that would still outperform the Revolt in soft snow. Either would be great in moguls if they still had that little section on Sidewinder?
Been a few times to Glen Eden as it’s perfect for beginner friends to learn.

Yes thats a sweet deal ! How often do you go to Blue Mountain btw ? I'm thinking about ditching my local hill too . I'm curious how you commute that much and make the most out of your season pass . whats your secret?

Sponsor

Staff online