• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hookless Rim Concerns

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see it as similar to the press fit bb. They are, in my opinion, a superior design failed by poor mfg and implementation. Hookless is nice but there is a risk of incorrect application and failure. I do find it interesting that perhaps some mfgs have reverted. Maybe too much risk vs reward. Similar to press fit bb, maybe they just don't have the ability to manage the outfall.

What is so nice about hookless? How do hookless rims benefit me as a consumer? How is it a superior design?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sorry, not buying the logic.

If I only know of very specific niche burps, that is what I am going to report on. It is not my burden to prove that other burps do not occur.

I don't trust the Internet for much.

We've seen marketing-driven and public opinion driven reversions before; reversion didn't prove that road disc was deadly and reversion doesn't prove that hookless is a faulty concept. Even if it is, reversion doesn't prove it.

And don't get me started on patent applications. The overwhelming majority of applications has nothing to do with real life. The ones that do mostly don't get allowed and just sit there as defensive pubs against someone else getting a patent. The ones that issue may or not stay in force depending on ... marketing and public opinion and legal slush fund availability. Technically a patent proves nothing.

That’s arguing for the sake of argument and I won’t be a part of it… :nono:
You know full well hookless is useless and pointless.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I know, right?

In an arguably glutted market that's undergoing price collapse, the last thing you need is a product with dubious reputation.
I've looked at the compatibility charts and it's pretty tricky. Given cycling's horrendous standards and long term parts availability, just seems like a problem waiting to happen. Hubs are nearly throwaway if you damage a race or cone.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
What is so nice about hookless? How do hookless rims benefit me as a consumer? How is it a superior design?
They are stronger because they have two straight sidewalls instead of one straight and one shaped sidewall. Is this significant on a road bike? I'm not sure..maybe it's academic. They are certainly cheaper to manufacture but there has likely been no corresponding price decrease to the consumer.

Is the difficulty in determining tire compatibility worth the probably very marginal gain in performance? Some tires are not even approved between two widths or even on different rim widths. And who is maintaining the compatibility lists?

i don't want to sound like Luddite dude but this is one of those times where I have to ask what's the real benefit?

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are stronger because they have two straight sidewalls instead of one straight and one shaped sidewall. Is this significant on a road bike? I'm not sure..maybe it's academic. They are certainly cheaper to manufacture but there has likely been no corresponding price decrease to the consumer.

Is the difficulty in determining tire compatibility worth the probably very marginal gain in performance? Some tires are not even approved between two widths or even on different rim widths. And who is maintaining the compatibility lists?

i don't want to sound like Luddite dude but this is one of those times where I have to ask what's the real benefit?

Exactly. There is none.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From a different viewpoint, when 35-38 widths become common for road, pressures will drop to 50psi ish and eliminate the problem.

If they told me years ago 28-30 would become a norm, I’d laugh, so I am not gonna laugh now at the idea of 35-38.
35 are very nice for everyday riding if you are not in a hurry btw. Pigs compared to 28 but comfy.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Standards in the bike industry? Are these people dinosaurs?
I had high hopes after years of searching through French, Italian, English BBs and BB spindles that ran out of alphabet letters for sizing... :roflmao: I thought 68mm BSA with Hollowtech 24mm spline and pinch couldn't get better! Then Campy made a 25mm diameter spindle... Because 1mm obviously... Don't get me started on press fit..

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
And I wouldn't mind so much if we had proper parts availability. The number is sealed bearings for wheels is staggering. Thankfully many are available from third party bearing mfgs who actually stock parts for many years.

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If they told me years ago 28-30 would become a norm, I’d laugh, so I am not gonna laugh now at the idea of 35-38.
35 are very nice for everyday riding if you are not in a hurry btw. Pigs compared to 28 but comfy.
Jack Browns have been in the Rivendell catalog for I don't know how long. Also don't know how many I've worn out. Lots.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Talking of Panaracer I heard the Gravelkings are getting a redo, what's the story on plain ol' Paselas?

They should be right behind.

Funny how gravel is now top priority.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Panaracer -- the best tire brand going that is not easy to purchase.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I love the complete nonsense review... And where is the tire compatibility chart!!

Sponsor

Staff online