• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you like your boots buckled?

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Four pages and no arguments about power strap going over or under the plastic?
Since im not skiing this weekend I opted to go down this rabbit hole lmao
20230319_163955.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yesterday was bottoms snapped in 2nd of 4 slots. Snug but not "tight". Tops were first (loosest) and strap loosey goosey. I snapped the two middle buckles tighter when I went in to the park and catch some air during the last two runs of the day. My skiing was sound and my feet were very happy all day.

sitzmark

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Like my boots snug - a relative term obviously. Almost no toe wiggle might describe it best. I'm a ski boot curmudgeon for sure - still skiing Tech XT17 for day-to-day. Bought a pair way way back because shell fit was about as perfect as I could want. 11.5 foot, 28.5 shell, 27.5 Gara LV liner. Proceeded to purchase every sale and closeout shell after that and ended up with 6 pair. For years it is pull another shell of the shelf and it's an instant old friend. New liner is a tear jerker until the fur in the Zip liner mats down. Thankfully Zip liners last a long time. Pulled out XT pair #5 this season, so have one more set of shells to go. The lower cuff strap on XT bottoms out on lower shell when buckled, so I have that radiused slightly to allow some flex. No extra flow in liner, but cuff is still a bear to close first thing in the AM (boots warmed), but catch the lower cuff buckle on #1 and crank over, then top buckle is a palm close. Booster to snug up. Often will move lower cuff buckle to #2. Lower buckles are just tight enough that unbuckle end of run makes for a more comfortable lift ride.

... dreading boot shopping when last pair gone.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
I like the booster under. And always only buckle my lower cuff buckle on the walk into the lodge to get my coffee. For some reason it helps my heel work itself back in the pocket and gets them ready to buckle.

CHTAHOE

Booting up
Skier
[On soapbox here.] I get a kick out of instructors who say "Lets ski a run with your boots unbuckle for a run or two" to their students. In most cases, these instructors are in a high flex, low volume STIFF boot that is a performance fit and many times the students are in ill fitting boots that are too big. Let the instructors ski in these boots and lets see how they do in those drills. [/On soapbox here.]
As a former instructor in Cal (Tahoe) and Aspen, I would never ask clients to ski in boots not buckled. There are better exercises to work on balance and pressure, IMHO.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I’m curious about how people buckle their boots. More specifically, how much pressure do you apply to each buckle? I like the toe buckle very loose. If fact, I don’t really use it. I like the next buckle up to be very tight. It helps me transfer foot/ankle pressure. The third buckle up is the second tightest; to keep my heel locked in. The fourth buckle and booster strap are relatively loose unless I’m skiing hard snow. I obviously realize that everyone’s feet (and boots) are different but I’m wondering if there’s a general consensus on buckle pressure preferences?

If your second buckle needs to be buckled tightly as you say, its very likely your boot has excessive forefoot volume.

James

Out There
Instructor
I feel a significant difference from unbuckled to buckled at a light first notch. Boa would actually work pretty well on plugs other than the large orb.

TS

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
If your second buckle needs to be buckled tightly as you say, its very likely your boot has excessive forefoot volume.
Negative sir, my second buckle, when it is tight like I prefer, only requires the second notch. Unbuckled, most would consider the fit already tight. I just prefer proportionally more pressure around my ankles. It’s just a personal preference like some prefer to de-tune tip and tail edges while I prefer to leave them sharp. Now someone will say I like my second and third buckles the tightest because my edges are too sharp.

Sponsor

Staff online