• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How long are your poles?

James

Out There
Instructor
Racers use long poles for the start. They continue doing so because they’re a stubborn, traditional lot. Even Deb Armstrong laughs at her use of too long poles “from the 80’s”.

We ski with much more angles and compact then the elbow square, hold basket upside fown. That works great poling to the lift because you stand very upright. Most don’t ski that way.

With kids, better to err short, almost unheard of, than the usual too long to much too long. Most young kids don’t use them anyway and they just get in the way.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Racers use long poles for the start. They continue doing so because they’re a stubborn, traditional lot. Even Deb Armstrong laughs at her use of too long poles “from the 80’s”.

We ski with much more angles and compact then the elbow square, hold basket upside fown. That works great poling to the lift because you stand very upright. Most don’t ski that way.

With kids, better to err short, almost unheard of, than the usual too long to much too long. Most young kids don’t use them anyway and they just get in the way.
In speed it is a real and appropriate thing to have long poles. We only use them at the start; you shouldn't be poling at 50+ mph. Longer poles make starts and skating to the first gate (or beyond) more effective. I have tried longer poles at one venue but they are too long for the relatively flat start so I shortened up and my starts improved. Like most things: it depends.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
177cm tall, 120cm poles.

waaaaaay back a Vail instructor suggested I get 125cm poles to get me standing more upright, which was maybe fine at the time but were too long. 120 feels right

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The main value of poles is to give clueless ski instructors something to bring up with students when they don’t really have any idea how to improve their skiing. Just kidding....maybe

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
5'10" 120cm. I used 125's for a while figuring they'd be better out of the start, but went back to 120s for everyday and cut my race poles down.At this point I like 'em shorter..............

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
5'6" or 167.6cm with 46" or 117cm poles

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Changed from bending way over at the waist—which instructors have been pointing out but I haven't been able to figure out mechanically how to stop doing it—to reaching the whole body down the hill at an angle more aligned with the legs (VERY crude sketch attached). Weirdly, this was during a bump clinic. Opening the hip angle (idk what you call this in skiing so forgive terminology) feels like it helped with being less stiff/more range of motion over bumps and legs moving more independently of pelvis on groomers.
View attachment 96324
It's easy to raise your arms an inch or two higher if need be, but poles that are too short can adversely affect the stance and balance.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I decided to put saber grips on my properly sized (but at the short end of recommended) Goode poles. In the process of removing the old grips, I destroyed the pole under the grip. The grinder was needed to cut the mess off the top. Saber grip installed on what was left. They ended up at least 15cm shorter. Net 100cm? (I didn't measure them but they are shorter than my 5' 0" wife's.)

Skied on them and loved them! Awesome in bumps and powder as they encourage me to soften my knees.

Took a lesson and the instructor ragged on me about not using my poles. We were on groomers. Once we hit the bumps, he said my poles were fine as well as my pole plant technique.

Short poles rock!

Eric

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
6' 1" and I use 47" poles, I no longer ski bumps but when I did I used 46" poles. Now I only ski groomers so 47" it is.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have been skiing 115's for groomers, when it gets soft and deep I take the adjustables which I set at 120.

I am 5'11

Aquila

Getting on the lift
Skier
5'3 and 110cm poles. When I bought them the guy in the shop told me I could go with 105 and 110 and then gave me the 110cm ones. I feel like there are quite a few people much taller than me skiing with poles not much longer, so maybe they're on the long side, who knows...! I'm not good enough to tell ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Back in the day I skied with 48 inch poles but I dropped to 46 on the advice of an instructor and later found that 44 was better for my liking... 110cm.
I'm 5'5"

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
6'2" and skiing 51" poles.

Sponsor

Staff online