• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON PASS OFFERS THE GOOD STUFF FOR WINTER 23/24 ON MARCH 16....

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
true but WFH is slowing and many companies are slowly pulling folks back into office.

It'd be interesting over the next few years to see how things evolve.
I am also interested. I do expect when the economy cools down that employers will get a lot tougher about requiring more office time. At the same time, I'm not sure if things will ever quite to back completely like before.

One thing I am amazed at is how parents think nothing of pulling their kids out of school to go skiing. I can't imagine when I was growing up even skipping school to ski and then also have my parents blessing to do so. It's a different world, which I don't entirely fit in anymore.

afadeev

Getting off the lift
Skier
Pass Pulled
One thing I am amazed at is how parents think nothing of pulling their kids out of school to go skiing. I can't imagine when I was growing up even skipping school to ski and then also have my parents blessing to do so. It's a different world, which I don't entirely fit in anymore.
Hey - I resemble that remark!

a

P.S.: My kids skip way more schooling for BS "organized" school trips and sporting events.
P.P.S.: Officially, never for skiing. Because, you see, there keep having those impromptu Dr. appointments on powder days...

salvatore

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get a nasty-gram every year for taking my son out of school. Whether we are traveling in Italy or skiing out West, I do not hesitate to pull him out of school for a few days here and there. He's in 7th grade. He learns more from traveling with me than he does in school.

Plus, I'm a teacher/student. A few days of home-schooling with me and he's ready to go back to school!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While WFH may decrease the number of baby boomers retiring will increase and many are retiring younger with more money.
hahahahahah, you haven't seen my 'portfolio'. I'm practicing my next career in fast food. I used to night porter in my youth, good honest work to stave off dept. :roflmao:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I get a nasty-gram every year for taking my son out of school. Whether we are traveling in Italy or skiing out West, I do not hesitate to pull him out of school for a few days here and there. He's in 7th grade. He learns more from traveling with me than he does in school.

Plus, I'm a teacher/student. A few days of home-schooling with me and he's ready to go back to school!
been lucky with our kids, most their teachers were supportive. My BIL and SIL's kid went to a school where he'd get 0 for any assignments/tests while out ... brutal.

Best thing for kids is that they'd typically get a few days ahead being out as their schools would end up having snow days while we were out west skiing.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
On WFH... CEO of the company my wife works for thinks that people who work remotely represent positions that can be offshored.
They're entitled to think that. Some will even have the balls to try it.

There're differences between different working cultures. I've been in several jobs that tried that, only ended up moving the off-shore staff "on shore".

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
I do expect when the economy cools down that employers will get a lot tougher about requiring more office time.
"Cool down"? With the boomers retiring in droves, who's going to do the work?

"Get a lot tougher"? You mean after they finally found someone half-way qualified to fill the position in the first place?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
While WFH may decrease the number of baby boomers retiring will increase and many are retiring younger with more money.
I don't think the "with more money" part holds. Nevertheless, the boomers are aging out of the workforce. It's just pure number, demographic thing that you can't hide from. Economists had been warning about the boomers exiting the workforce for years. But just like climate change, no one wants to do anything about it. So now the reality is upon us.

Even the last batch, which I'm part of, is approaching retirement age. Let us work remotely, you may, just may, have us for a few more years. Want to "get tough"? You'd better plan on doing my share of the work yourself!

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I don't think the "with more money" part holds. Nevertheless, the boomers are aging out of the workforce. It's just pure number, demographic thing that you can't hide from. Economists had been warning about the boomers exiting the workforce for years. But just like climate change, no one wants to do anything about it. So now the reality is upon us.

Even the last batch, which I'm part of, is approaching retirement age. Let us work remotely, you may, just may, have us for a few more years. Want to "get tough"? You'd better plan on doing my share of the work yourself!
Inflation might keep people working longer. Just went to the store and couldn't believe that a case of Coke was $7.99 on sale. Ooof.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're entitled to think that. Some will even have the balls to try it.

There're differences between different working cultures. I've been in several jobs that tried that, only ended up moving the off-shore staff "on shore".
An increasing number of companies I contract with (healthcare) require all work to be performed on shore out of data security concerns. Would not be surprised to see that trend continue to grow.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
Picked up the Base pass the other day. Hope to get more days skiing next year than I did this year. Would love to match what I did in 2022.
This nice thing is that my company reimburses up to $800 for exercise equipment, gym memberships, etc., and starting this year they've included lift tickets!!! So total cost outta pocket for me was $4. I'll take it!

As for boomers and retirement- I'm planning on retiring in the next year or so (but will hate losing the free lift tickets :D ), and have seen a decline in the knowledge in my industry over the years. The WFH thing greatly impacts this and the younger people suffer, as does the company. The thing is, the young people think that it's a right to WFH and don't understand the impact on learning from not going into the office. Right now I'm mentoring my replacement for when I leave. Young kid, very driven, wants to learn and succeed in his career and understands to advantage of face to face interactions. Not a normal 25 year old in today's workforce. He is the exception. But businesses will suffer from all of this imho if they don't get a balance of in office workers vs WFH. I understand that each business is different and WFH is fine for some and not for others, but it needs to be figured out soon.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Inflation might keep people working longer.
They keep saying that. Sure, some will "work longer" to pay for extra, or supplement their savings.

But reality being, as the boomers get older, their health deteriorate and they simply can't work that much longer. Not full time anyway. Even if they want/need, or even wish.

That's where a more flexible work arrangement comes in, at least for the smart businesses. Remote work when possible is just one of the carrots. Businesses that insist on "get tough" on their workers will see increase turnover as their older workers choose to go to more flexible outfits or outright retire. They're not in position to hire older workers due to inflexibility. Their only choice is to pay extra to attract those who can still meet their "tough" standard. i.e. increase operating cost.

It's a "seller's market" when it comes to labor market for the coming few years. The workers can DEMAND what they deserve when there's a shortage. AI will eventually catches up to do those jobs satisfactorily. But that'll take a while.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
This nice thing is that my company reimburses up to $800 for exercise equipment, gym memberships, etc., and starting this year they've included lift tickets!!! So total cost outta pocket for me was $4. I'll take it!
Nice!

I understand that each business is different and WFH is fine for some and not for others, but it needs to be figured out soon.
"Business" isn't very good at "figuring" this out. Workers, on the other hand, are.

I'm one of the older worker in my profession of mostly young kids. I didn't exactly "like" all this endless email and IM thing when I was sitting next to my co-workers and can simply just ask (voice) before the pandemic. But that's how they all prefer, so I adapted.

Lo-and-behold, the pandemic happened. I'm glad I was in a position to work from home as effectively as in the office!

Now, the "business" will just have to put up with me NOT wanting to go back into the office. Or they'll see the back of me, only because I had it all figured out how, thanks to my younger mentors.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't..... from. Economists had been warning about the boomers exiting the workforce for years. But just like climate change, no one wants to do anything about it. So now the reality is upon us.

Even the last batch, which I'm part of, .......g my share of the work yourself!
I've considered trying to do my part, but no women (even spouse) seems interested in helping. :roflmao:

Most folks are smarter than me.

Hey, there's the hot topic, AI .. it'll off load many things we do and make us all more efficient. I'll be able to take up painting, or singing .. oh wait, AI will do that for me too.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Hey, there's the hot topic, AI .. it'll off load many things we do and make us all more efficient.
We ARE more efficient, in doing "things".

But we're no smarter in figuring out what "things" need to be done in the first place. So we waste our more efficient days doing useless things! Like... commuting to the office! :roflmao:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hurry!!!

got my reminder to save $100 bucks on booking travel by May 5th :roflmao:

Sponsor

Staff online