• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

IKON PASS OFFERS THE GOOD STUFF FOR WINTER 23/24 ON MARCH 16....

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Last year the 5 day pass came in around $300 US.
Right now it appears to be $463 CAD, or $343 USD, unrestricted... or $426/$316 restricted. Looks like it's good for all Canadians too, not just BC. And early season inclusion runs through Dec. 8th.

Neat program/alternative to Epic. I wonder how long it will take Vail to force it out of existence? :P

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Right now it appears to be $463 CAD, or $343 USD, unrestricted... or $426/$316 restricted. Looks like it's good for all Canadians too, not just BC. And early season inclusion runs through Dec. 8th.

Neat program/alternative to Epic. I wonder how long it will take Vail to force it out of existence? :P
They now run it through the Epic program, but believe maintaining it was a term of the deal to acquire Whilstler, so likely never going away

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the full Ikon for next year as well as a Epic Northeast Value pass. It certainly nice that I no longer have to buy passes for myself and Noah as well. I'm planning to hit Stowe more often next season. Hopefully it actually snows and stays cold here next year.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any resort on the Ikon pass is going to turn into a zoo during spring break.

Reservation systems need to come back. Preference for locals with proof of residence.

This turned out not to be true. We skied both Presidents Day week (in Big Octtonwood Canyon, Utah) and Spring break week, which happened to also be Easter this year, at Mammoth, CA) and neither were very busy.
never waited more than 15 minutes for a lift, except waiting for opening lift on powder day, skied straight on to many of them.

Reservation systems need to come back. Preference for locals.

Why should locals get preference? Most of the big resorts are private, for profit businesses, why should they prefer locals? And morally, wouldn’t it be easier for locals to go on off-peak times? So giving preference to visitors would seem more fair?
In fact, even though my local hill is a city owned, non profit, it’s the opposite, my taxes subsidize it, because it is an economic driver for our city.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you sure? They use affirm for the payment company. I looked into it but it would have cost $100 more per pass so I just paid the whole thing. They advertise super low interest but then affirm decides how much the interest will be. We have excellent credit so I was surprised..
I did affirm for 6 months at 0% for the discounted price.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anything anywhere near 15 minutes is a zoo for some of us that avoid crowds pretty studiously.
Hmm, I do not think that is the accepted definition of “a zoo”.

Second, that was only 3 or so lifts loads of all the days we skied. Most of them we skied straight on, or waited one chair. Monday, late morning, we walked straight onto the summit gondola at Mammoth. And that was a warm day, where the top was the best skiing.

That’s not to say that it’s not even better to avoid busy days/resorts completely, but my point was that Ikon pass was NOT turning resorts into a zoo during spring break. I am sure it was just as busy at Mammoth before Ikon during that week.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm, I do not think that is the accepted definition of “a zoo”.

Second, that was only 3 or so lifts loads of all the days we skied. Most of them we skied straight on, or waited one chair. Monday, late morning, we walked straight onto the summit gondola at Mammoth. And that was a warm day, where the top was the best skiing.

That’s not to say that it’s not even better to avoid busy days/resorts completely, but my point was that Ikon pass was NOT turning resorts into a zoo during spring break. I am sure it was just as busy at Mammoth before Ikon during that week.
You weren’t there during the “big” SoCal spring break week. Los Angeles Unified had spring break the week before Easter. That’s the district that makes it crowded. San Diego Unified had theirs in March. Last week was all small districts.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's strange. We did Affirm last year and it was 0% and $0. I haven't renewed ours yet. Leaning toward the base (we had full this year).
I ran the numbers- multiplied the monthly payment by the number of months and it was $100 more each pass.

Bozzenhagen

Getting off the lift
Skier
never waited more than 15 minutes for a lift, except waiting for opening lift on powder day, skied straight on to many of them.

Why should locals get preference? Most of the big resorts are private, for profit businesses, why should they prefer locals? And morally, wouldn’t it be easier for locals to go on off-peak times? So giving preference to visitors would seem more fair?
To be frank, I consider a 5 min wait crowded. So our definitions of crowded are quite different. I'm pretty much used to <1min or rolling right up to the lift chair.

As for local preference on reservations, I was assuming reservations for every day of the season.

I have this suspicion that the shitshow at Copper this year will trend more people to Epic, how many? I do not know. I'm buying all the passes that pertain to me as a hedge bet yet again (2 mega passes, 2 local passes).

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
With regard to Mammoth being less crowded this spring ... local conjecture is that all of LA was sick of driving up to only be skunked during all the AR events. No fun to ski only two chairs or sit in your condo cave when the mt closed due to weather. The occupancy numbers for the past weeks were pretty low. IKON has made the mountain more crowded its just been a weird year.....

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You weren’t there during the “big” SoCal spring break week. Los Angeles Unified had spring break the week before Easter. That’s the district that makes it crowded. San Diego Unified had theirs in March. Last week was all small districts.
That’s why I never thought spring break was as much of a crowded time as other peak times.
Christmas-New Year, and Presidents’ Day are much more set in their dates, so concentrate crowds on those exact dates. As you write, spring break dates tend to be more varied.
Also, my suspicion is that ‘casual‘ skiers go in December-February, and that the people who ski in spring have also gone earlier in the season.
Do other ski talkers think the same or do you think it’s the other way around? More once-a-year-skiers go in spring?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We were at Steamboat March 11-17 which coincided with Texas Spring break (I think most Texas schools are off then) and it was fairly crowded.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trust me … Mammoth can be very crowded during LA Unified Spring break - 550,000 students approximately. It’s probably higher now. It’s the second largest school district in the country. Look up their schedule and avoid at all costs. But yes - without a doubt- Christmas and Presidents’ Weekend is worse!

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this is a bummer discovery. Copper and A-basin passes no longer have three free days at Taos as they have for years.

I wonder who forced that? Taos, IKON, Copper, A-basin?

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I knew eventually you'd see it my way and buy today.
The reality is they were getting his money for next season one way or another - even if he had to sell a kidney.

But if he thinks waiting a few extra days or a week before handing over the money makes him feel like he's sticking it to the man, let him have his fun.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, this is a bummer discovery. Copper and A-basin passes no longer have three free days at Taos as they have for years.

I wonder who forced that? Taos, IKON, Copper, A-basin?

Taos.

Sponsor

Staff online