• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inflation rate in skiing

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not just the PRICE that is inflating in skiing:

1. Skier Responsibility Code inflated from 7 items to 10 items this season.

Didn’t know that. Thanks for the heads-up.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having lived through the Great Inflation of the last century, this go round is extremely tame.
This inflation is tame for many of us, fortunately. But not for the many folks for whom food, gas, and utilities comprise a large percentage of their wages.

Our favorite activity greatly relies on these folks as they are becoming more challenging to hire each season, so it seems like it's just a matter of time until inflation has a greater impact on the cost of skiing.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sure I’ve stated this before, but in case I haven’t, whatever costs associated with skiing are subject to inflation, it impacts the most the people who need to travel to ski. The greater the distance to travel, more likely the impact of inflationary pressures.

I’m fortunate, I have ski areas within a couple hours driving distance, and I can drive to most resorts in BC, WA, OR, ID and UT in a day or so. I can drive or fly at reasonable costs to SLC or CO. I can be flexible with accommodations when I travel. I’m not as impacted by “skiflation.” Also I don’t need lessons/clinics when I travel because I can take them locally or regionally. Actually I travel to take clinics sometimes.

Someone from New England or mid-Atlantic states, or Florida, have more planning and expense for trips to these same areas, and are going to want to stay close to the resorts, so there is more expense involved and the expenses may be more inflation-sensitive.

I’m hearing the about the most impact from people traveling from even farther away like the UK, NZ and Aussie.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
consumer side algorithm

There isn't one AFAIK.

Maybe an opportunity for compare-the-market Meekrats?

I believe you're talking about cars and drivers?

Seconds are an enormous amount of time to take necessary action. It's the things that happen in the split seconds that generally get us.

Delighted to hear that you don't have these moments.

It's not just the PRICE that is inflating in skiing:

1. Skier Responsibility Code inflated from 7 items to 10 items this season.
  2. Average chair capacity inflating (used to be double chairs, now quads, six, eight per chair).
  3. Average ski waist width is inflating. I'm guessing the average ski width is now over 80mm wide.
  4. Anything else?

Good news! Over the last while CSIA has deflated "5 skills" to "4 Tech References" and more recently down to "3 skills". (Much easier to remember.)

Hell, my first mortgage was over 9%. Might even have been 10%.

Luxury! We had 17% in the late 1980's.

Geepers' thoughts run through my head constantly. Can't purge them.

Wouldn't say it's a constant thought for me. Just know that stuff happens.

Re your knee meets armpit turns (posted elsewhere)... get those same thoughts occasionally on the lift back up for another run. Little voice in the head says perhaps we shouldn't do that. But next run...yep, back we go. :rolleyes: Bet it's the same for you!

That's only if you have a floating interest mortgage. (or buying property)

Most residential property bought in Australia is floating interest mortgage. (Have to be a moron to lose money running a bank down under.)

Better not ski. Just use the simulator.

You are mistaking awareness for timidity.

The one skiing move I try my best to suppress is the temptation to get air. Have that (mostly) under control. It's just a risk reward thing although exuberance can be a challenge after a couple of weeks back on snow. Then again I'm 67 - how old are you?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Most residential property bought in Australia is floating interest mortgage. (Have to be a moron to lose money running a bank down under.)
It's the opposite in the US. Majority mortgage are fixed rate.

Then again I'm 67 - how old are you?
Younger. :)

But I don't take air much. So there's none of that related "fraction of second" risk. :)

However, driving on the road? That's a different story. Unlike taking air on skis, it's not possible to NOT drive...

Last edited:

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Not for real estate.
Real estate varies quite a bit by market. Not every area is seeing what we're seeing in the mountain West. And the current runup is already turning. In 1979, the house we bought cost us 50% more than the sellers had paid for it two years before. They didn't "flip" it, they bought it new. Yes, the Zestimate on my house now is double what it was pre-COVID, but it took a worldwide pandemic to do it. It's on the way down and I expect it to continue to drop for another 6-9 months, by which point it'll have normalized.

I got a 21% salary increase back around 79 or 80 and believe me it wasn't that I was a superstar or had been promoted. It was a cost of living increase.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
That never stop them from driving though.
Hence I reference to "fraction of seconds" while driving, which eclipse the risk of skiing by a large margin.

I got a 21% salary increase back around 79 or 80 and believe me it wasn't that I was a superstar or had been promoted. It was a cost of living increase.
Reminds some of todays "youngsters" what inflation really means

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hence I reference to "fraction of seconds" while driving, which eclipse the risk of skiing by a large margin.

Nah, NYC driving is safe. My son called it close quarter combat. It's more about vehicular placement and attitude. Nt much mayhem when compared to the clueless scud missile CA drivers.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Nah, NYC driving is safe. My son called it close quarter combat. It's more about vehicular placement and attitude. Nt much mayhem when compared to the clueless scud missile CA drivers.
Obviously, you don't drive much outside the city proper. We who live outside the city can spot the city drivers, from their "vehicular placement" move! ;)

Only that suburban drivers don't respect such "placement"! Or, they respond with tailgating. And they typically have bigger cars than their space conscious city brothers.

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Obviously, you don't drive much outside the city proper. We who live outside the city can spot the city drivers, from their "vehicular placement" move! ;)

Only that suburban drivers don't respect such "placement"! Or, they respond with tailgating. And they typically have bigger cars than their space conscious city brothers.

Got to love the newbies. No sense of histories and what came before.

I am on the road (read west of the continental divide) at least 5 months out of the year. This year, more like 7 months.
We are fully acclimated to life and driving outside NYC.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Got to love the newbies. No sense of histories and what came before.

I am on the road (read west of the continental divide) at least 5 months out of the year. This year, more like 7 months.
We are fully acclimated to life and driving outside NYC.
"We"?

You're one of those driving without a driver's license? :huh:

You haven't met the New Yorkers who never had a driver's license.
That never stop them from driving though.
I'm not good with history, even though I have a decent memory...

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"We"?

You're one of those driving without a driver's license? :huh:

I'm not good with history, even though I have a decent memory...

My wife and I. There is more to the forum than the keyboard portion. There is a real life world out there. The red pill.

Do I have a driver license. Does it matter?

Decent memory is of no use if you weren't here. Nothing to remember. Blank slate. Don't know what you don't know.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
But I don't take air much. So there's none of that related "fraction of second" risk. :)

Getting way off the OP here....

Even without the air seems to me a good bump run, an advanced speed carving run or shorts on some steeps are fraction of a second stuff. As in one instant everything is going along just nicely and the next it's not.

There are activities where things tend to go wrong quite slowly - scuba diving for example. But that's not a sport - it's underwater tourism.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
As in one instant everything is going along just nicely and the next it's not.
I know quite a few cases of people playing tennis when, "one instant everything is going along just nicely and the next it's not" (the "not" part had the player(s) under the knife of orthopedic surgeons)

There are activities where things tend to go wrong quite slowly - scuba diving for example. But that's not a sport - it's underwater tourism.
Some may view skiing as tourism on ski.

Sponsor

Staff online