• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Injuries in sit ski?

amybd

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm watching reports of snowfall and dreaming about getting back on the mountain. The last few years have not been friendly to my body and I have general muscle weakness that limits me to using a walker or a wheelchair in normal activity. Last year I got out on the mountain with a bi-ski and had a blast. The night I was leaving I got a message from my doctor about severe bone weakness in my hips (avascular necrosis) and I've been scared to go back. Basically I'm just waiting for my hips to break (and hoping they don't). It seems like the hips would be relatively protected by the seat in a sit ski, but I'm wondering what kind of injuries people tend to get in a sit ski? Does anyone know?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
As a patroller having responded to only two adaptive skier incidents, my take is that the sit ski chassis does a good job of supporting and protecting the torso and lower body /legs.

Both calls needed upper extremity care as well as treatment for facial abrasions. (both were "trivial" on a scale of severity.)

Check with the adaptive program at your local area, or search out stats from some of the bigger operations. (Breck? https://boec.org/who-we-are/ )

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I was a Adaptive instructor for 15 yrs and saw very few injuries with sit skiers. The lower body is strapped in the seat surrounded by the frame.

Sponsor

Staff online