• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it too early to talk about New Year Eve menus?

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
2020 was such an annus horribilis that 2021 deserves the warmest of welcomes.
What culinary plans do we have to celebrate the New Year?
Let's hear some ideas!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Usually have ham NYE and leftovers go in to a crock pot full of black eye'd peas and salsa. I call it southwestern soul chili. Add some collard greens on the side, chips, and finger food for watching bowl games all day..

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We are going to a restaurant for NYE dinner, not sure if there is a special menu.

But for sure, we will partake on the German (by way of Pennsylvania) tradition of pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I usually fix lobster tails for NYE. If it is warm enough, I might grill a burger instead. Still trying to decide if a high of 45 is warm enough.

I have no traditions for New Year's Day.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We'll be camping. Either antelope chili, spaghetti, or ???

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually fix lobster tails for NYE. If it is warm enough, I might grill a burger instead. Still trying to decide if a high of 45 is warm enough.

I have no traditions for New Year's Day.
It's never too cold to grill.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Looking like roast beef. We are not allow to gather indoors this year. But we'll probably do a deck get together with some bubbly in the evening with the neighbours.

One good thing is that the resort cannot do fireworks like they usually would. Would cause a "gathering". So no being woke up at midnight if I'm going to bed early, or getting dressed in ski clothing to go and watch it.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I haven’t figured out food—but we’re certainly drinking this from our local brewery—
0849007C-7B02-4DB4-A20C-FE88BE2126D9.jpeg 89C4727E-701D-4A8F-AF9E-95E5BAC60E47.jpeg

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
@jmeb: Crooked Stave is probably the only local brewery that brews more beers I don't like than I do like, and that's saying something!
Just can't get into sour ales.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@jmeb: Crooked Stave is probably the only local brewery that brews more beers I don't like than I do like, and that's saying something!
Just can't get into sour ales.

I mean--yeah--if you don't like sour and spontaneous fermented ales, Crooked Stave ain't your place. If you do, it's world class.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Porter
Dark Lager
Lord Rumbottoms Chilli

1609424309517.png

Last edited:

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Never too early to discuss food!!! Waygu gold steaks, fondant potatoes, savory popovers, green beans w/ almonds .....some benefits of food service slow down is a ton of great beef in the retail counter. Calling @Uncle-A.....he always has quite the spread!!!

1609361971196.png

Last edited:

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There is a really good catering company here that is doing fully prepped multi course meals dropped off to your house with all the heating instructions, and since I’m working all day on the 31 (and Jan 1) I am letting them do the cooking! Shrimp cocktails, soup, kale salad, and prime rib with whipped potatoes and asparagus. Truffled popcorn to nibble while everything gets prepped as well.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Grilled 1 1/4" pork chops and home made apple sauce. There will be salad too but that is just window dressing. Might do some cocoanut prawns with it for a balanced diet.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ham has been procured. We usually do the brown sugar in crock pot method but I'm going old school Coco Cola baste with this one tomorrow. Crock pot will be full of black eye'd peas and salsa dip concoction.. ham (chunks leftover from Thanksgiving ham) to be added later when they're just past al dente'. Coke ham will be sliced and available for kids who don't like the peas and ham in salsa.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm working something up right now. Not totally sure of the final details, but it's going to be pan-cooked chicken thighs with caramelized fennel and two kinds of olives. Bubbly is a sparkling Rhone - pink. Which I'm ignoring right now for the kind of low brow Piemontese blend that speaks to me. @jmeb

20201231_192247-01.jpeg 20201231_194347-01.jpeg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Love fennel and olives in meat dishes—even as a decade plus vegetarian.

Currently knocking back an Anjou blanc with some blue cheese, homemade sourdough and apricots. Rioja is breathing for some faux meatballs in a bit.

Sponsor

Staff online