• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is it too early to talk about New Year Eve menus?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
We had snacky dinner..meatballs, cheese, crackers, pizza... I haven't eaten take-out food since March..I'd kill someone to crush a quarter pounder and fries.... Sigh..:roflmao:

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You just reminded me that, this past January 1, I neglected to have my New Years Day bleak-eyed peas for good luck.

I'm never doing that again!

I was just looking through past photos wondering if I ate those (as I usually do, but...). Also, I like "bleak-eyed" peas; Freudian slip?

Looks like I had lobster bisque for NYE dinner, though? Not sure, but someone had leftovers.

52C29EC7-5A99-4573-AF6C-62A128BB61DB_1_105_c.jpeg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Tonight was sliced ham, baked au gratin taters, and corn on the cob. Tomorrow's all day feast is on track.. Salsa and black eye'd peas go in the crock pot tonight to simmer all night. Ham chunks added tomorrow morning.
1609464389826.png

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
6FB27CA0-03B5-4169-A4DF-079C3F71FE32.jpeg
chickpea and celery salad, roasted veggies and homemade aioli for keep jigsaw puzzle stamina up. Chenin blanc—killer lemon on this one. Cuts the aioli.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I debated lobster tails v. grilling a burger. If it's warm enough to grill, it's warm enough to wash my car. So, lobster tails won.

Tomorrow may start a New Year's Day tradition for this location ... Rosenberg's bagels. People say they're just like New York bagels. I'm not 100% convinced, but they are the best I've had since I left the east coast. Had one today -- in case they are not good enough and I needed to make alternate plans for tomorrow, y'know. It has some good texture ... a true outer shell that is chewy and a soft, dense middle.

I've heard that the difference with NY bagels is in the water. Rosenberg's uses "New York water". They have a separate source for water and treat it to match the mineral content of NY water.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was just looking through past photos wondering if I ate those (as I usually do, but...). Also, I like "bleak-eyed" peas; Freudian slip?

Looks like I had lobster bisque for NYE dinner, though? Not sure, but someone had leftovers.

View attachment 119660
I love black eyed peas.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, I like "bleak-eyed" peas; Freudian slip?
Hadn't noticed I did that, but it works.

Ended up having a ribeye, baked potato and broccoli. Cheesecake and homemade english toffee.

Tomorrow will include bleak-eyes and cornbread. Maybe I'll break out some of the pastrami I put up a few months ago.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You don't think they are just pig food? Perhaps you have some latent Southerner in you I don't know about ... :ogbiggrin:
Black-eyed Pea Salad

1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed thoroughly
1 cup very finely sliced celery (with leaves, if possible)
freshly ground black pepper
coarse sea salt
1/4 cup minced shallot or onion
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup best olive oil

Mix ingredients. Adjust seasoning. Allow to rest one hour, stirring gently every fifteen minutes. Adjust seasoning again. Serve. (Looks and tastes nice with blue corn chips.)

scott43

Skier
You don't think they are just pig food? Perhaps you have some latent Southerner in you I don't know about ... :ogbiggrin:
Funny story, my sister in law, German farm girl, first trip to Canada and we had corn on the cob for dinner. She was mortified and was very reluctant to eat it. So my mom says "everything ok??". And she says "but..ziss is cow food..." :roflmao:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Had the peas for luck and health. Getting ready for some collard greens for money and wealth. Nothing special.. can of Glory greens..

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Black-eyed Pea Salad

1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed thoroughly
1 cup very finely sliced celery (with leaves, if possible)
freshly ground black pepper
coarse sea salt
1/4 cup minced shallot or onion
juice of one lemon
1/4 cup best olive oil

Mix ingredients. Adjust seasoning. Allow to rest one hour, stirring gently every fifteen minutes. Adjust seasoning again. Serve. (Looks and tastes nice with blue corn chips.)

Trust me, I love black-eyed peas and have been eating them since, well, I had teeth, I guess.

But canned? Really? ogwink I use canned for dip, Texas caviar, etc. But dried otherwise.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Trust me, I love black-eyed peas and have been eating them since, well, I had teeth, I guess.

But canned? Really? ogwink I use canned for dip, Texas caviar, etc. But dried otherwise.
The secret to dried is to soak them for a full day or two before cooking.. otherwise frozen. Even frozen takes a good 10 hours in a crock pot to be al dente enough for most. I'm good with a little snappy, not totally mush.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Black eye peas breakdown fairly quick after an overnight soaking. No more than 1-1/2 hours start to finish.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January