• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Is the shell size printed on the plastic of the boot?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I thought my Scarpa Geas were 24.5, but I just noticed that the ripped-up sticker on the toe looks like a 25.0. I can't find the shell size (as opposed to the BSL) printed on the outside - these are barely-used, so none of the print is ground down at all, let alone worn off.

Is there a standard place to print the shell size? I don't want to mis-advertise when I sell them.

I should have the box at home, but a niggly part of my brain wonders if they weren't mislabeled or put in the wrong box, because they are *so* dang tight on me. I'd rather find a number on the shell.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thanks, @tam ! Further question. So the difference must be in the liner size. The liner has a number printed in the tongue that starts with "250-" ... that plus the torn-up sticker makes me think this boot has a 25.0 liner. Does that sound right?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @tam ! Further question. So the difference must be in the liner size. The liner has a number printed in the tongue that starts with "250-" ... that plus the torn-up sticker makes me think this boot has a 25.0 liner. Does that sound right?

Yeah, most boots break at the big number ie 24.0 and 24.5 are the same shell with different liners. (Or my inkling is sometimes not even different -- I think it's just the insole that's thicker on the smaller boot.) Scarpa breaks on the half size. They do the same thing with the liners, change the half size with the liner size.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, most boots break at the big number ie 24.0 and 24.5 are the same shell with different liners. (Or my inkling is sometimes not even different -- I think it's just the insole that's thicker on the smaller boot.) Scarpa breaks on the half size. They do the same thing with the liners, change the half size with the liner size.

Sorry, I am always lost with this "break" stuff for boots. Are you saying the liners are the same regardless of whether the boot is marked 24.5 or 25.0? So either would be accurate?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A Scarpa 24.5 and 25.0 are the same shell. The liner is "different." With other brands, the 24.0 and 24.5 are the same shell, with different liners. I put quotes around "different" because I think it's really the insole that is different, not the entire liner, but that should be left up to the experts.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A Scarpa 24.5 and 25.0 are the same shell. The liner is "different." With other brands, the 24.0 and 24.5 are the same shell, with different liners. I put quotes around "different" because I think it's really the insole that is different, not the entire liner, but that should be left up to the experts.

So it seems like since the sticker on the toe looks like it's plausibly a 25.0, and certainly not a 24.5, and the BSL lines up with that pairing, I shall advertise it as a 25.0.

If I had understood this better at the time - and I do remember the fitter trying to explain this to me - I might have chosen differently. Looking at the (lack of) space between my heel and the back of the shell, I have no idea what I was thinking!

Thank you!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So it seems like since the sticker on the toe looks like it's plausibly a 25.0, and certainly not a 24.5, and the BSL lines up with that pairing, I shall advertise it as a 25.0.

If I had understood this better at the time - and I do remember the fitter trying to explain this to me - I might have chosen differently. Looking at the (lack of) space between my heel and the back of the shell, I have no idea what I was thinking!

Thank you!

Well, yes, advertise it as a 25 but I would still put a disclaimer in there that it's a small 25 ...

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, yes, advertise it as a 25 but I would still put a disclaimer in there that it's a small 25 ...

Oh yes ma'am I will.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

i think most of the AT boots break that way as opposed to the Alpine Boots. I made the mistake of buying a 24.0 AT boot (I always run a 24 shell in Alpine) and it was too small, had to go to the 25

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
i think most of the AT boots break that way as opposed to the Alpine Boots. I made the mistake of buying a 24.0 AT boot (I always run a 24 shell in Alpine) and it was too small, had to go to the 25

I thought this was the case (or that at least more of them did it), but just in a little research it seems Scarpa is the main or only one now? Not sure.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
My boots have the shell size printed on the sole right behind the toe piece. The BSL is on the side of the heel piece.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
My boots have the shell size printed on the sole right behind the toe piece. The BSL is on the side of the heel piece.

Yup. Believe me, I looked at the sides of the sole pretty hard :)

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Yup. Believe me, I looked at the sides of the sole pretty hard :)
Figured you had.

Just got these boots Friday. Do your new boots have it on them? Curious if this is something new they started.

Full story is ... I noticed it because I'm sitting here fondling my new gear and removing those stickers from my boots. Those stickers felt too "Minnie Pearl" to me. (Geez, that really dates me. My mother used to love Minnie Pearl.)

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Figured you had.

Just got these boots Friday. Do your new boots have it on them? Curious if this is something new they started.

Full story is ... I noticed it because I'm sitting here fondling my new gear and removing those stickers from my boots. Those stickers felt too "Minnie Pearl" to me. (Geez, that really dates me. My mother used to love Minnie Pearl.)

The new boots have it on the bottom, but recessed so it wouldn't wear down by walking. However as per earlier in the thread, what's printed on the shell could be off by a half size due to the insole size (or whatever it is).

Sponsor

Staff online