• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KAPPA JOINS U.S. SKI & SNOWBOARD AS OFFICIAL TECHNICAL APPAREL

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately in the US I'm afraid the more than passing resemblance to trucker mudflaps others have observed will be a showstopper, no matter how nice the garment.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Wait, no more spider webs? Yea!
Right!? I mean c’mon Spyder (with the notable exception of the coaches bibs) was not really making themselves relevant anymore to the racing scene.

James

Out There
Instructor
The spider web thing was just stupid, as is their spider they put on some things. It’s a one liner they’ve been telling for years.

Do they not realize a good percentage of the population either hate spiders or have a fear of them?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The spider web thing was just stupid, as is their spider they put on some things. It’s a one liner they’ve been telling for years.

Do they not realize a good percentage of the population either hate spiders or have a fear of them?
But... but... but... Spiderman is really really popular right now!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The spider web thing was just

recognizable. More recognizable than Energiapura zebra striping, than Aspire digital camo, than POC color blocking, than Head's generic bundle of meh.

Fear? So what? Fear is good. Fear is awesome for energizing tropes we can cheer for. As proved by Darth Vader. And about seventeen dozen storyline cliches, including:

James

Out There
Instructor
Darth Vader isn’t fear, it’s scary. It’s not arachnophobia.
So, the only “recognizable” pattern is a spider web? Completely absurd.
It’s not like they did mind blowing things with the web, which they could have.

ctsnowplow

Getting on the lift
Skier
As I stated above, Sync or other companies could not pay for the full financial responsibility that comes with being the official apparel sponsor. I am sure they would of wanted to and were trying to make it happen, but the cost associated with paying for travel, coaches, training is all funded by major sponsors. That was not negotiable. Toyota, Spyder and other major sponsors, etc are PAYING for the US Ski Team to exist. Now that Spyder is a shell of its self and owned by an apparel conglomerate, they have no interest in spending mid 7 figures a year in sponsorship fees. Columbia, Burton, LL Bean who are also apparel sponsors of the Teams, obviously had zero interest in paying 7-8 figures annually for 8-10 years to financially support our athletes. The only avenue to secure the revenue needed to fund our athletes till 2030 was find a larger global sportswear company who can sign a 8-9 figure multi year deal. Enter Kappa who has a ski division and already sponsors multiple National ski teams. Actually it makes perfect sense and the deal will provide the financial security for our athletes through the 2030 olympics.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Darth Vader isn’t fear, it’s scary. It’s not arachnophobia.

Which makes it stronger when it's on your side.

So, the only “recognizable” pattern is a spider web? Completely absurd.

Which current race suit company has a more recognizable branded graphic?

Anyone with working eyeballs can tell a Spyder suit from a Arctica, from a Goldwin, from a POC, Descente, Energiapura, Mizuno, Colmar, Schoffel, Phenix, Aspire, Sync or ONYONE - in an instant, with absolute confidence.

Pretending any one of those brands has a stronger, more recognizable brand-specific graphic pattern than the Spyder web is just denying reality.

It’s not like they did mind blowing things with the web, which they could have.

*shrug* it's a branded design element. How often do Atomic do mind blowing things with the logo rocket?

Last edited:

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Anyone with working eyeballs can tell a Spyder suit from a Arctica, from a Goldwin, from a POC, Descente, Energiapura, Mizuno, Colmar, Schoffel, Phenix, or ONYONE - in an instant, with absolute confidence.
1652373932865.png

you can? even in SL, with the leg spider covered by a shin guard?

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I realize I live a very sheltered and unsophisticated existence here in Upstate NY, but does Kappa have any retail presence in the US? I assume like most sponsorships the goal is to sell more stuff, not that the average consumer or even casual skier pays any attention to what the US Ski Team members are wearing. For example, I like Briko goggles, but good luck finding a pair to try much less purchase.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
does Kappa have any retail presence in the US?
Yes, some. Just not much in ski/winter gear. If you go into a soccer shop, you can find a good amount of Kappa in the US. (At least you could several years ago, the last time I was in one.)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
:ogbiggrin: You're proving my point, so thanks :) If that suit had had a web (instead of the branded artist logo), yes you could.
Spyder has moved away from the web as a dominant design feature in "recent years", meaning the last ... decade. So, yes, if things were different, things would be different, I agree.

On world cup, I don't think anyone cares who makes the suits ... like do you really think adidas made the GBR suits in Beijing? Or did somebody else and they slapped a three-stripes logo on it?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Spyder also selling their gear at B or C grade levels in Dicks Sporting Goods or Sierra Trading Post has devalued the brand greatly.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone with working eyeballs can tell a Spyder suit from a Arctica, from a Goldwin, from a POC, Descente, Energiapura, Mizuno, Colmar, Schoffel, Phenix, Aspire, Sync or ONYONE - in an instant, with absolute confidence.
Well they are supposed to be a USA team suit, not a Spider Team suit.
I could give two shi**s about recognizing a spyder suit. They haven’t exactly distinguished themselves in design.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Spyder has moved away from the web as a dominant design feature in "recent years", meaning the last ... decade. So, yes, if things were different, things would be different, I agree.

On world cup, I don't think anyone cares who makes the suits ... like do you really think adidas made the GBR suits in Beijing? Or did somebody else and they slapped a three-stripes logo on it?
This

I have 4 or 5 Spyder USST suits here from about 2012 -2021. I am pretty sure none of them have the "web' design on them

Sponsor

Staff online