• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Kastle FX95hp review

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Less tip pressure? I thought it needs more tip pressure. I also had an impression that all Kastle mounting points are a bit backward relative to most other skis. Hmmm... I will experiment this weekend and pay attention. Thanks for the note on the tune.

I had fun afternoon ski w Alex to discuss this idea in person. First time we've met, good fun. Alex is a great skier, and with his scientific mind, I think his reviews are well thought out and systematic.

Great to meet you and make some runs, Alex!

Cheers,
Wade

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Definitely was fun skiing w/@WadeHoliday! (and thanks for good words!) It was great to finally meet him in person after hearing so much about him, I had a really great time. Skiing behind Wade is dangerous, you start watching his turns and forget about your own:) He flows down the mountain effortlessly, like fog, pretty cool to watch.

I was also very interesting to see Wade ski the FXs (some of the most perfect-looking complete off-piste turns I have ever seen). You only begin to understand how he works the ski and what is going on when you try to follow his line. He is right that the FX likes skiing from under foot (and once you hear it from him it makes perfect sense). As another datapoint: today I spent the morning on a pair of GS race skis, and then switched to the Kastles after lunch. That's where the difference in feel became quite apparent. The race ski started the turn from the tip and I needed to finish it still on the tip, otherwise the tail would starts to fight back. The best way to initiate on the FX is to change the edges early and then stay centered throughout the turn (if that make any sense). That way you are not trying to force the rocker to do what it was not designed to do.

MrFox

Dawgcatching.com
Skier
Industry Insider
Interesting and thorough review! Thank you! I was reading along and with you until the groomer section and the comparison to the Bonafide. I'm certainly no great skier and I am often out of balance and with bad technique. I have spent 3 full days on various versions of the Bonafide and have never really figured it out. I always felt like it skied like a 2x4 ( I know that's blasphemy to many on here) and I felt like an incomplete skier because I couldn't get it to perform. I got on the FX95HP at last year's SIA demo and immediately felt like a hero for the few runs I had it. I got on it again this year at SIA and felt the same way. I bought a pair last weekend and spent a half day on them on Sunday. My impression of them is of a supremely easy and relatively forgiving (for a ski with metal) ski that just steps up its game when you do. I'm 5'10" 165 and on the 181 although I liked both the 181 and the 173 when I demoed them. They just slither through the bumps if you stay balanced and square to the fall line in both sizes.

Thanks again for your thorough review and I just found my impression of them on piste especially compared to the Bonafide to be so different. I've always felt inferior because I couldn't understand the Bona fide but this ski was just wow immediately. I almost got the SR95 instead.....still not sure why I didn't other than I got better deal locally on the Kastles which isn't very hard as Kastles are much easier to find than Stocklis.

I just wanted to add a quick note on the Bonafide (compared to the FX). I've never gelled with the Bonafide, even though I believe I can bend it longitudinally, the big issue for me was that the ski is too stiff torsionally. The Bonafide can rip on groomers, at low edge angles carving it feels very confident, locked in from the start, but from there, that's all you can do. With that much torsional stiffness it wants to chatter if you ever try to stivot it, slide it, or do anything besides carve the crap out of it. If you can ski at low edge angles it's fine, but higher it can start to cause problems. Also, for longitudinally how stiff the Bonafide is, it's underdamped (at least for the feel I like), kind-of an over-sprung/underdamped sort of a feel.

What Kastle does really well is they build just the right amount of torsional stiffness into their skis, at low edge angles they float and drift beautifully, once you wick it up and get them to higher edge angles, they bite and can shred groomers.

Potentially another thought as to why the Bonafides never gelled with you. The bonafides and DPS skis feel very similar torsionally, in powder it's harder to notice, but on hard snow it's something I immediately notice.

P.S. I'm in love with that FX95HP. :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I skied the FX95 HP for a full day at Aspen. Spring day and conditions were too be expected, firm in the AM then gradually softening as the day went on. While I have been on the FX from time to time, I never warmed up to the ski. As I thought in the morning, boy a MX88/89 woudl have been the tool of choice inthe crispy reforzen conditions. I will as the snow softened, the ski started to shine more and more...and more. Nothing bothered the FX, maybe it was the metal or the gradual rise with the smooth taper but the ski was money as the snow softened. In the soft south facing bumps, the 95 was easily moved around and the straight sidecut was ideal. The ski stated a 20M TR but either the FX95 or Bonafide is off..the Bonafude has much more turn built into it. Thanks Mr. Davenport for getting me back on these.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
The ski stated a 20M TR but either the FX95 or Bonafide is off..the Bonafude has much more turn built into it.
It's neither :) The Bonafide has much more tip built into this, it hooks up from that tip. The FX95HP has a very non-hooky tip with all the massive taper, so you turn it by moving the hips downhill (i..e by tipping). The reward is the "point-and-shoot" behavior- the ski always goes where you tell it to go. I am glad you are warming up to it. It's a bit of a peculiar beast, but it does what it does really well. Had not been on the Bonafides since I got these, maybe I need to get back on them to A/B them. Probably next season...

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll have a couple nice 95's to try for next season, and pick one as a travel-ski keeper.
I grabbed a set of @mogsie 's hand-me-down FX-95HP 181 that will arrive next week -> I have him on speed-dial for "ski buying emergencies" :D
And today just scored a smokin' deal on new SR95 183 from a store that switched to its summer bicycle-shop, and had 1 last set buried in deep storage.
I tell ya, some days I have a horseshoe up my a$s with the deals I stumble across . For all these premium skis, the deals are out there if you hunt, are patient, and act quickly. I'll post some pics of camber, tip, tail shape, once I get them side by side.
My season is now officially over after today's ski outing -> time to kick back and watch The Masters

~ Andy

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I don't think of my technique as impeccable, but I enjoyed the ski a lot when I demoed it this spring. Kind of Enforcer-like. I'd have liked to have taken it out in conditions that suited it better, but it was certainly competent in the ice-to-piles-of-warm-soft-manmade we had at Okemo that day. As a Western ski, I believe it would rock.

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I'll have a couple nice 95's to try for next season, and pick one as a travel-ski keeper.
I grabbed a set of @mogsie 's hand-me-down FX-95HP 181 that will arrive next week -> I have him on speed-dial for "ski buying emergencies" :D
And today just scored a smokin' deal on new SR95 183 from a store that switched to its summer bicycle-shop, and had 1 last set buried in deep storage.
:golfclap: You have a tough choice, both are truly excellent skis. Very different though. SR95 is old school shape, the FX95 is new school shape. Both rock. be warned that FX95HP in 181 will ski somewhat shorter than the SR95 in 183. Good luck, its a really good problem to have on your hands...

James

Out There
Instructor
@Alexzn , did you try the 181cm Fx95hp and if so did you notice a big difference between that and the 189 besides length?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug: I am actually surprised that with your technique level you are not enjoying the FX95HPs more...:huh:
Me too. I really wanted to love the FX, it jsut doesn't blow my skirt up.

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to the 2016/2017 ski season !
( FYI: me 5'9", 170lbs, 49yo, pretty athletic, an intermediate+ ski hack who luvs trying different gear )

I have a about 4 hours on my SR95 and 2 hours on my FX95-HP this week, only groomer action and somewhat skied out groomers, over 2 ski days.
The SR95 183cm were new, and mounted with Attack 13 Demos.
The FX95-HP 181cm were courtesy of Mogsie, meaning he barely breathed on them ( "Mint as usual are his hand-me-downs" in my best Yoda voice ), and have Attack 13 non-Demo, mounted on the line for 326. My BSL is 316, so puts my about 1/2 cm forward, which his fine as I usually like my skis mounted +1cm forward.
( FWIW I had BMX105-HP with Attack Demos and +1cm was my preferred mount for how I ski )
I got a few runs on the FX95-HP on my last day last season, as was not enamored with them, they felt a bit off.
I had all my skis sent out for full tune / grind on a Montana machine last month . The FX95 felt much better this week after a refresh.

As I am a Kastle fan-boy, I was not expecting to like the SR95.
Both of these are great skis on groomers for a 95. Both have great feel and a very nice smooth ride.
For me, the FX95-HP felt more charger-like compared to SR95, and felt a bit stiffer under foot, and a slightly damper ride.
I was actually expecting the SR95 to be heavy and not flick-able. Even though SR is silver vs the FX black, visually the SR95 looked more substantial to my eyes, so I expected a heavier ski/ride/feel , it was not. It was a bit more nimbler of ski IMO compared to FX95-HP -> I was a bit quicker to make sudden turns ( collision avoidance )on the SR95 but YMMV.
I thought the flex profile was smoother/softer on the SR95, but it is not a soft ski.
No chance to take it into anything resembling Pow as no Pow my way.
But I luv taking skis into chunky clumpy snow, as that happens soon enough after the first few hours of skiing. Both are great IMO.
Looking at the tip shape of the FX95, the FX looks like a 5-point design as OP Alex states in his first post ( BTW I didn't like the DPS 99 either ).
The shovel on the SR95 has a nice gentle rise and fat shape. I am guessing I would like it better in Pow, should the sky open up and bless me with some.

I'm always thinking of what ski do I want to travel with on my 2 ski trips a year.
This gives me the excuse to hunt end of season bargains and buy & try skis ( last year was a pair of 105's )

I am going to keep the SR95 as my travel ski this season -> it is the better ski for me.
As much has I like to try new things, I can see keeping it.
It also has the Attack Demo on it. I have been playing with mount points every few runs, and as usual I am happy to have the ability to dial-in in a ski for my size/dimensions/style.
If I wasn't a lucky dog to have SR95 here, I'd readily keep the FX95-HP.
I'd actually really like to try the non-HP but those seem to be hard to come by.
I didn't gel with BMX105-HP either -> I think HP might a bit "burly" for me now and I need a softer ski.
Good thing there are so many good skis out now to satisfy our respective needs/desires.

After I wrote the above, I recall Scott doing one of his typical great reviews of the SR95 / FX95 at Epic.
Found it again here -> he is a great experienced / reviewer / writer:
http://www.epicski.com/t/132531/review-2016-stockli-stormrider-95-183cm

- Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well I'm glad to see how this thread has evolved. I didn't find the FX95HP to be a ski that needs to be driven from the front (not like, say, the new MX98) so I was a bit confused. Now the conversation has turned back to match my own experience, where you just sit neutrally on the ski, tip it onto edge, get it out from under yourself, and it does the business. I did find it to be a surprisingly turny ski (compared with the bare, written stats) and my inside ski started hooking up far faster than expected. Had to get my weight off the inside foot a bit earlier through transition than is my norm, so I had to adjust my skiing to suit the design of the ski.

Can anyone compare the FX85HP against the 95? Is it "same, same, but narrower" or is there a bit more to it?

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
Well I'm glad to see how this thread has evolved. I didn't find the FX95HP to be a ski that needs to be driven from the front (not like, say, the new MX98) so I was a bit confused. Now the conversation has turned back to match my own experience, where you just sit neutrally on the ski, tip it onto edge, get it out from under yourself, and it does the business. I did find it to be a surprisingly turny ski (compared with the bare, written stats) and my inside ski started hooking up far faster than expected. Had to get my weight off the inside foot a bit earlier through transition than is my norm, so I had to adjust my skiing to suit the design of the ski.

Can anyone compare the FX85HP against the 95? Is it "same, same, but narrower" or is there a bit more to it?

Yes, I own both now, and it's almost the same, just skinnier, slightly shaplier. Didn't think I should own both but like my fx 95 so much, and had a chance to get both, so the 85hp is my primary "on the snow" ski, 95hp my primary "in the snow" ski. And, may get an AX as my early season training ski if I'm gonna ski on piste a bit and not just make my favorite old school off piste turns...

FX is just great in shapely snow, just good in prepared snow.

cheers!
W

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If I had to own a 1-2 Kastle quiver it would look something like a BMX 105HP (which is I believe just a wider FX95) for "in" days and an MX89 for "on" days. Fx95hp splits the difference and anchors a 3-ski quiver very nicely. I still sometimes dream of owning an MX98, don't know why...

ARL67

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@WadeHoliday
Did you get to spend any time on the SR95 -> if so, in what areas did the FX95-HP win you over ?
( I know you are a stronger skier than me )

~ Andy

( BTW I am luv'n those Scale Deltas I grabbed from you last season -> my pal says he has never seen me ski so well & fluid since I put them on my feet )

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I had to own a 1-2 Kastle quiver it would look something like a BMX 105HP (which is I believe just a wider FX95) for "in" days and an MX89 for "on" days. Fx95hp splits the difference and anchors a 3-ski quiver very nicely. I still sometimes dream of owning an MX98, don't know why...
Hard to argue with that..the BMX105 is my favorite of the FX/BMX collection.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
@WadeHoliday
Did you get to spend any time on the SR95 -> if so, in what areas did the FX95-HP win you over ?
( I know you are a stronger skier than me )

~ Andy

( BTW I am luv'n those Scale Deltas I grabbed from you last season -> my pal says he has never seen me ski so well & fluid since I put them on my feet )

Glad to hear delta is treating you well, Andy!

I did ski the SR 95, and the flex and tail design on the FX 95 are more in line with what I like. SR was a bit stiffer, especially torsionally, and tail was more rewarding, but also more punitive. I like the way fx flex is so balanced, and it holds well for a more linear turn type but also doesn't argue if you want to drift it a ways...

I see your idea on the quiver, Alex.
I have so bonded with the FX though for off piste, that it's my favorite by a long shot anything 3 d, hard or soft. the mx 89 is great, but still more of linear ski, better in more level terrain, or for a guy working on masters race technique like you...

I liked the bmx 105, I owned one, but I liked the fx95 much better. when the snow is deep and new, those first couple runs the 105 is looser and easier, but I like a ski almost exactly the width of my ski boot, wider tends to get bounced around more. I skied my fx85 in 5 in a new wet snow during this super wet storm saturday afternoon, and love the 85 in new snow too.

Cheers!
Wade

nikonfme

Booting up
Skier
Did you ever ski the non HP version? If so, just curious on the comparisons. Have an opportunity to pick up a pair cheap for only tight east coast glades and bumps. Just picked up a pair of E93's last week in a 185 and they may fit the bill. So far, they have exceeded my expectations. Very quick edge to edge and quite a bit more forgiving that the Bonafide. Still curious on the FX95 non hp though.

Sponsor

Staff online