• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Let's talk Baseball!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I watched the MLB network last night for a while. It was all about Hank Aaron. One of the best on-field factoids was that if you took away all of Aaron's home runs (755) he still finished his career with more than 3000 hits. One of the best remarks about his off-field persona was by George Will: "There is such a thing as a natural aristocrat. That is an aristocrat not by birth or inheritance, but by character. Henry Aaron was a natural aristocrat."

Other random quotes from the media on Aaron:

When you think about Hank Aaron, he's iconic because not just what he accomplished in uniform in the game but really what he did throughout the totality of his career.” “Obviously the chase for the homerun record with Babe Ruth and the period of time in the history of when he played ball it took on a whole other story then just a game itself.”

As a sports world mourns the passing of Hank Aaron, 86, the National Baseball Hall of Fame adds him to a heartbreaking list of Hall of Famer's they’ve lost over the past 10 months. The nine before Aaron: pitchers Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, Phil Niekro, Tom Seaver and Don Sutton; outfielders Lou Brock and Al Kaline; second baseman Joe Morgan; and manager Tommy Lasorda. This is largest group of Hall of Famers to pass away in less than a year since its inception.

Here's a nice short clip featuring George Will talking about Henry Aaron's background and character: https://www.mlb.com/video/george-will-joins-mlb-now

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Field of Dreams game is Thursday night. New York Yankees vs Chicago White Sox. 8,000 seats.
That is so cool, I will have to check it out on Thursday. After all I am a life long Yankee fan.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We watched the documentary about this a few days ago.

We visited the site back in 2015 when we were driving the Miata from Michigan back to Reno.
IMG_2486.JPG

IMG_2488.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So the Blue Jays were finally allowed to play at home on July 30. They had a little thing that they did..video thing..pretty understated but quite good. I have to say I teared up a little..they have been playing really well with a fun bunch of kids and to have them home again, after 670 days or something, was a big deal for the city. We have the worst, boorish, drunken fans but at least you can go and DO something again! What a change.
It's a bit long..but it may bring a tear to your eye..

James

Out There
Instructor
It is pretty crazy. I wonder if Kevin Costner will throw out the first pitch.
It’s unfortunate that the radio announcers won’t be there. I assume, since they haven’t been going away all season and last season. It’s also unfortunate it’s on Fox, with their propensity to yammer to players for a whole inning. Even one in the batters box. Despise the whole thing.

Where are the bullpens?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is one of my favorite Vin Scully clips

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Rod Carew and Harmon Killebrrew were both on the Twins when I moved there in 72.

Here is a funny one.....I bought a 1 ton Chevy Cab & Chassis 454 and a 48' flatbed then started a Hot-Shot trucking business. I hit 44 US states in one year. One night in Minneapolis I parked and went to the stadium to watch the Twins. My seat was high in Right field. Harmon at bat........YES......He homered AND I CAUGHT IT BARE HANDED. After going to A's games as a kid and seeing 2 World Series wins at home......going to Twins Stadium years later and catching a homer was a dream. I still have the ball somewhere. :)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The pre-game in Dyersville Iowa was really cool and the general vibe of this game is really exciting.

Uncle-A

Skier
The pre-game in Dyersville Iowa was really cool and the general vibe of this game is really exciting.
Watching the game now, bottom of the 6th and my Yankees are down 7 to 4. But it's not over yet.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well they came back to lead it then lost. Can’t walk the #9 hitter.
Pretty busy 9th inning. Six runs scored.
There were like 7 home runs in that game.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
8 home runs.

Great game and real good for baseball. It was a beautiful spectacle.

One one pitcher reminded me of the pitcher from the movie... "I could have won 20 games that year!!!"

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I watched the documentary and then watched the original movie again. Classic! Glad they did the game tonight and what a good game even if my "Guardians" were not playing ;)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I watched the documentary and then watched the original movie again. Classic! Glad they did the game tonight and what a good game even if my "Guardians" were not playing ;)
There was a simplicity of this game, including the manual score board.
Super fun to watch.
Both teams were "in it"

Uncle-A

Skier
Yes, you shouldn't walk the #9 batter but the #1 and #2 batters are get on base guys not necessarily home run guys like the #3 & especially the #4 batters.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The commisioner says they will be back next year.

My personal thoughts on this game.
When they started planning this build and imagining how they could pull this off out in the middle of nowhere,(having been there, I assure you, its "out there") I can't imagine that they knew what a breath of fresh air this game would be to so many of us.
The details they thought of like the manually operated score board, the throw back uniforms and other attire of staff, the asthetics of the stands and outfield backdrop, and even the graphics on the television...

In a year + of chaos in our world, this game was an amazing "feel good" moment.

James

Out There
Instructor
More corn! At first I though the outfield fence was painted corn, but it was chainlink except for batter’s eye center.
A field of dreams game ended with a walk off homer. Pretty appropriate, just wrong team. ogsmile

Who will play next year? CWS against Boston? Cubs against Boston?
Does a FoD game have to include the White Sox? Has to be teams around in the teens of the 20th century.
Yes, you shouldn't walk the #9 batter but the #1 and #2 batters are get on base guys not necessarily home run guys like the #3 & especially the #4 batters.
In 2021 hitting .280 has been like hitting .320-.330. And just about anyone hits a homer, esp1-6.
Tim Anderson who hit the walk off is a well known first pitch swinger. Last 15 games about 6% of his at bats are homers,(4/67), 21% of his hits were homers, (4/19). Compare to Yankees Stanton, (worst deal in Yankee history?), the alleged big bopper #5 now. He’s big anyway. The last 15 games, 4% of ab’s are homers, (2/52), 22% of his hits are homers, (2/14). (Mlb app)
Britton made a mistake right down the middle on the first pitch. Ball didn’t sink enough. Should’ve been a ball out of the zone anyway for a guy who’s likely swinging.

Yankee pitching has been recently shakey, esp the bullpen. It was really good till June, they just didn’t score any runs. Hitting with runners in scoring position has been bad all year and is killing them. They should’ve been tied or ahead in the 9th.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I grew up as a Yankees fan back in the 70's. FWIW, today is the 40th anniv. of Reggie hitting the 3 home runs..but I digress. I cannot listen to the current Yankee broadcasters, Michael Kay....the Yankees win, the Yankees win, the Yankees wiiiiiinnnn. I miss the days old Phil Rizitto, Bill White and Frank Messer.
Remember guldens mustard ? Or was that the Mets sponsor? Rizzuto was the best ...
So, do you remember Wonderama, The Million Dollar Movie and the Yule log... WPIX in the 70’s....

Sponsor

Staff online