• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lift ticket $ Insanity

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the increase in skier numbers mostly due to population increase in the West? The SLC area has exploded. Those people are gonna go somewhere, do something. Same with Denver and the Front Range, Bozeman and Big Sky, Reno and Tahoe.
There are a lot of people moving from one state to others. Same with another one but not necessarily to ski states.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the increase in skier numbers mostly due to population increase in the West? The SLC area has exploded. Those people are gonna go somewhere, do something. Same with Denver and the Front Range, Bozeman and Big Sky, Reno and Tahoe.
Based on the number of non-locals up on the hill with Ikon passes, no. I think it’s a combination of factors but the mass passes have made it exponentially worse.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There’s no doubt about that! Everything Vail or Alterra touches turns to shit.
I understand your sentiment. I have an Ikon pass, and I don't live near an Ikon resort. It's the most economical way for me to ski in some of my favorite places with my skiing friends. But it's not THAT economical, unless I'm one of those people who skis A LOT. I don't. So, I miss the days when I could purchase a 3-pack or 6-pack of tickets, or whatever, at different resorts, instead of having a mega-pass. It was more economical for me and my situation, and I also liked supporting a specific resort, instead of a corporation. In the past, I've purchased a spring pass at several places that more than paid for 4-5 days of skiing.

But even locally, at my non-Ikon mountain, the 3-pack and 6-pack of tickets no longer exists. It's a season pass or day ticket.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't agree that this pricing model is squeezing profit from loyal customers. If you're a regular, you have a season pass. The season pass prices honestly aren't that bad anywhere I've looked, assuming you buy in advance of the season. Especially for things like unlimited weekday passes. The Ikon/Epic passes are honestly just a great deal if you're able to go more than 7 or 8 times a year.

The day-of ticket pricing model is squeezing profit from rich travelers and very casual skiers/snowboarders. If you don't want to plan ahead, it will cost you.. or you can get an Ikon/Epic and you have tons of options.

The super high day-of prices are to discourage random people from coming. It's kind of a good thing for season pass holders.
Actually, the resorts are squeezing the regular, loyal customers by overselling the number of season passes, which results in incredible crowding.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Well walk up lift prices are indeed insane, especially for working m-f 8-5 weekend skiers. But not bad everywhere. Have a modest 14 days in this winter. Except for days when HV lost power or were high winds, no mid week issues ever parking at Heavenly's Boulder lot or with long lift lines on Nevada side lifts. Epic senior Tahoe Local Pass was just $425. Also reasonable midweek SLT lodging has been sub $75/night all season. Even cheaper California options on below thread.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I absolutely hate what the mass passes are doing to skiing but I am convinced that over half the issue of overcrowding at the popular Utah resorts is local population explosion. The possible exception to this is Deer Valley where I do think iKon destroyed the old experience there.

I judge this by the difference in crowds/traffic on a pow day versus a regular day. Visitors can't time the pow days that perfectly. And the amount of people I meet on chairlifts that have moved to Utah in the last 3 years is staggering. So even if iKon/Epic went away I still think the crowds would be significantly bigger than what many of us are used to.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I absolutely hate what the mass passes are doing to skiing but I am convinced that over half the issue of overcrowding at the popular Utah resorts is local population explosion. The possible exception to this is Deer Valley where I do think iKon destroyed the old experience there.

I judge this by the difference in crowds/traffic on a pow day versus a regular day. Visitors can't time the pow days that perfectly. And the amount of people I meet on chairlifts that have moved to Utah in the last 3 years is staggering. So even if iKon/Epic went away I still think the crowds would be significantly bigger than what many of us are used to.
Somewhere, someone has the stats on all of this. Summer trail usage has definitely exploded at Snowbasin so it’s a fair assessment.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somewhere, someone has the stats on all of this. Summer trail usage has definitely exploded at Snowbasin so it’s a fair assessment.
Just from the perspective of somebody who only visits SLC once every year or two, I can see a difference with each visit, in city construction, highway traffic, etc. That's why I commented about this earlier; the amount of growth in Western cities the past few years is stunning.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier

It's global, not local. We hit 8 billion worldwide this past November. That's a whole lot of feces.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
As for the sub 8,000 altitude places, massive snowmaking infrastructure now needed to keep those places open December through mid to late March cost money. I'm not so sure they're doing the level of tourist gouging that the higher altitude destination resorts are when it comes to day tickets.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As for the sub 8,000 altitude places, massive snowmaking infrastructure now needed to keep those places open December through mid to late March cost money. I'm not so sure they're doing the level of tourist gouging that the higher altitude destination resorts are when it comes to day tickets.
And snowmaking = water which is another problem. The economic models here don’t look friendly or sustainable in the long term.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
@Wasatchman - I totally agree with you on that - have clients and co-workers in SLC and hear this all the time. Combine that with a truly "all weather "airport and you get what you got.

Just back from an IKON pass resort, skied pow 2 of the 3 days - skied on to every lift, never waited in line or was jostling for a seat at lunch. It has a reservation system and it is not convenient, at all, to get into.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
True, but at least the majority of it is recycled back into the environment, mitigating that somewhat.
Yes, east coast areas, who have longer history with snowmaking , generally shoot for a 95% re-capture rate . Western states have different restrictions about using recaptured ( grey) water. To put it in perspective, Killington can pump 10 million gallons of water into snow guns in one night if they are going full blast. 5% of that is half a million gallons of “loss” -in one night, not an insubstantial amount.
Like all things like this, YMMV

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's getting to the point if you're not commiting to skiing enough to justify one of the mega passes, you'll be paying big $$$$ for those few days a year....and the infrequent skiers will start walking away from the sport unless they have a smaller local (and less expensive) mountain to go to.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
It's getting to the point if you're not commiting to skiing enough to justify one of the mega passes, you'll be paying big $$$$ for those few days a year....and the infrequent skiers will start walking away from the sport unless they have a smaller local (and less expensive) mountain to go to.
And less and less people will feel like making that commitment the more unreliable conditions become.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For a 20 to 30 day a year skier Ikon or Epic are still the deal of a lifetime. For a 5 day a year skier or anyone looking to ski off pass for a few days it sucks.
The smaller independent mountains can be lots of fun. They just don’t have the extended season arent the big dogs in the neighborhood.

Sponsor

Staff online