• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Read through the thread but could use some thoughts.

Looking for a ski for steep and technical terrain, as well as something that blasts through crud. Stability and composure at speed are my priorities - I want confidence when things get fast. Thinking I’ll bust it out when I go through chutes at back bowls, and when things on-piste are chopped up but I still want to get some speed. For the above reasons, heavy ski with long turning radius seems to be the ticket.

Debating a Blizzard Cochise 106 @ 192 (found a good deal on a new one) vs Pro-Rider (friend of a friends has found an ex-demo one… I’ll know for sure in a month)

Do I pull the trigger on the cochise now, or wait until I can grab that pro-rider… if it really exists!
How bout these? These would be considered the ultimate charger….2014 Volkl Katana (191)

If you are interested, I currently have these up for offer….

A15B1410-8A6C-4D54-96EC-DE1BC1C3F04F.jpeg

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Read through the thread but could use some thoughts.

Looking for a ski for steep and technical terrain, as well as something that blasts through crud. Stability and composure at speed are my priorities - I want confidence when things get fast. Thinking I’ll bust it out when I go through chutes at back bowls, and when things on-piste are chopped up but I still want to get some speed. For the above reasons, heavy ski with long turning radius seems to be the ticket.

Debating a Blizzard Cochise 106 @ 192 (found a good deal on a new one) vs Pro-Rider (friend of a friends has found an ex-demo one… I’ll know for sure in a month)

Do I pull the trigger on the cochise now, or wait until I can grab that pro-rider… if it really exists!
This is what you want.
https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/66521096

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
Sent him a message but no response- if anyone knows the seller please let him know I’m a serious buyer and happen to be in the area until tomorrow afternoon!

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just to clarify, I'd love to know wihich MX98 this is. A few years back they discontinued the MX99, a bit of a charger with carve (nice ski for this thread, in its longer lengths). When they did that, they unfortunately introduced an MX98 as a new, replacement model (that year, a dog - just too dialed back and soft flexing, a disappointing mediocrity, to me). A much more "accessible" ski, I think they said. I think that was the year they introduced the FX106/FX96 models (outstanding), but I mix them up - could easily have been a year apart, one way or the other. I remember fairly well, because I demoed all those skis (except the desirable but terminated MX99) at SIA that year, and was strongly thinking of getting the more burly MX99 myself, if I could demo it.

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
The search continues…

Debating pulling the trigger on a pair of gently used stormrider 105s (2020) I found. A bit more than I want to spend, but given Stocklis reputation for dampness and composure at speed, might be what I’m looking for… ish.

Thoughts?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
The search continues…

Debating pulling the trigger on a pair of gently used stormrider 105s (2020) I found. A bit more than I want to spend, but given Stocklis reputation for dampness and composure at speed, might be what I’m looking for… ish.

Thoughts?

I’m extremely skeptical that any of the recent, relatively light Stormriders are going to feel anything like a Head Monster or Legend Pro Rider even if the Stockli’s might be impressively damp and well constructed on their own terms. I believe the Stockli’s people thought of as being chargers are substantially older than 2020.

Have you looked at Heritage Lab? I really think their race room series is probably the best bet you can still buy new for the old school wide GS style skis. If you’re open to more modern wider shapes the Rossi squad is probably in there too.

Heritage link:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you looked at Heritage Lab? I really think their race room series is probably the best bet you can still buy new for the old school wide GS style skis.

Heritage link:

Although I've aged out of needing the chargers discussed here, I think Heritage would get my vote. Pretty much a beefed up Blossom, right? And how can you argue with a product that uses this for marketing "Go run over some tourists"? ;)

But act quickly. I'm on his email list, and it sounds like this year's production might already be mostly spoken for.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Although I've aged out of needing the chargers discussed here, I think Heritage would get my vote. Pretty much a beefed up Blossom, right? And how can you argue with a product that uses this for marketing "Go run over some tourists"? ;)

But act quickly. I'm on his email list, and it sounds like this year's production might already be mostly spoken for.

on sale for $699, but the heavy versions wont be shipping till January. Seems like a good price for a ‘boutique’ ski.

im having to hold myself back from buying a pair of the fl113. Not sure where id ski that ski with a 45.3 meter radius?

Anyone handled the Liberty skis made in China vs Italy? Noticeable quality difference?

Last edited:

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

I pre-ordered the R99, my recollection is that its basically the “Numero Uno” masters GS core put into the Pure 99 mold but not 100% on that. One of my biggest ski wants has been a 2010s vintage Kastle MX like core in a more “fun” shape so I was excited about the project (even if my personal preference might be a touch more long and low tail rocker a la the Mantra 102 than I think the Pure has).

BmbrMcGnrly

Putting on skis
Skier
I’m extremely skeptical that any of the recent, relatively light Stormriders are going to feel anything like a Head Monster or Legend Pro Rider even if the Stockli’s might be impressively damp and well constructed on their own terms. I believe the Stockli’s people thought of as being chargers are substantially older than 2020.

Have you looked at Heritage Lab? I really think their race room series is probably the best bet you can still buy new for the old school wide GS style skis. If you’re open to more modern wider shapes the Rossi squad is probably in there too.

Heritage link:
I sent him an email yesterday- haven’t heard back yet but very interested in both the R99 and FL113.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)

Heritage link:
From my research:dig: - I haven't actually been able to take any out for a test run, these new Storm Riders would be the Charger skis for folk who don't want to charge any faster than at ski-instructor speeds. ogwink:duck:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
From my research:dig: - I haven't actually been able to take any out for a test run, these new Storm Riders would be the Charger skis for folk who don't want to charge any faster than at ski-instructor speeds. ogwink:duck:

Or, you know, folks living east of the Mississippi?! ;)

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Gasped when I saw the massive tip deflection on a Ski Essentials video of the SR 102 when it came out a few years ago.
The skier was just cruising along slowly on the top of a pretty flat groomer and the tip looked like it was going over thick crud at 50mph!
No thank you……

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gasped when I saw the massive tip deflection on a Ski Essentials video of the SR 102 when it came out a few years ago.
The skier was just cruising along slowly on the top of a pretty flat groomer and the tip looked like it was going over thick crud at 50mph!
No thank you……

Duck and cover, buddy. Diss Stocklis on this forum at your own risk! ;) :geek:

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

Or, you know, folks living east of the Mississippi?! ;)

Yeah, I've never ridden a Stormrider either and I've only had a few demos of the Laser AX (which I liked but didn't love). So I am definitely speculating on this, but I would be really surprised if I were wrong about the Stormrider being a pretty different kind of ski from the Pro Rider.

If I contrast the impression of the Stormriders I've gotten from the people here who like them with my experience of the Pro Rider, the most immediately obvious difference is "refinement." Refinement is not one of the first few hundred adjectives that come to mind for me with the Pro Rider, though it is correct in my opinion to describe the Pro Rider as a well designed tool for going extremely fast in variable snow conditions and in this sense it is refined.

Instead of refined, I would describe the Pro Rider as "powerful" to the exclusion of many other desirable attributes. The Pro Rider is also "raw" or "uncompromised" in a way the 191 Mantra 102 isn't because the Pro Rider doesn't care about being accessible or user friendly or useable in a broad range of terrain.

I also think the size run of the Pro Rider, namely just one model in a 192, likely had some influence on the flex being a bit softer than a lot of scaled up skis designed around a mid-length reference turn out to be. The softer flex may contribute to the ski's suspension performance being incredibly plush and smooth.

Last edited:

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Just to clarify, I'd love to know wihich MX98 this is. A few years back they discontinued the MX99, a bit of a charger with carve (nice ski for this thread, in its longer lengths). When they did that, they unfortunately introduced an MX98 as a new, replacement model (that year, a dog - just too dialed back and soft flexing, a disappointing mediocrity, to me). A much more "accessible" ski, I think they said. I think that was the year they introduced the FX106/FX96 models (outstanding), but I mix them up - could easily have been a year apart, one way or the other. I remember fairly well, because I demoed all those skis (except the desirable but terminated MX99) at SIA that year, and was strongly thinking of getting the more burly MX99 myself, if I could demo it.
It was version three. After the bmx98 (incorrectly named mx98) from 2014-15 with the more tapered tips and rounded tails and before the mx99 came out in 2019. They only made 50 pairs of the 194s in this version.

Sponsor

Staff online