• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long and heavy charger skis

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Surprisingly(to me at least) the Bonafides are not my favorite of the two on clear firm snow days(crusty off piste and firm groomers). If I've got room to let the skis run and I can see what's coming I prefer to carve high speed turns on the Cochise skis and I also prefer to ski them on the crusty off piste. My edge hold is significantly better and the Cochise can ski right through any chatter left over by the groomers or clumps of crud without checking my speed.

Without having skied a Cochise or Brahma this is very speculative, but I don’t think it’s crazy to prefer a slightly wider crud crusher like the Cochise to a Bonafide for what you’re describing here. If the groomers are rough or inconsistent a wider ski is less likely to get bounced around or deflected in a weird way. Off piste similar story. If the wider ski is also "more plush" it can often feel easier to ski very fast even if you don't really need the width per se.

Any idea if a 191 Mantra 102 would be easier on your knees? It's not much less wide, but I've been reminded lately how easy it is to ski once you're at speed. Mine feels noticeably easier to keep on edge than an ON3P Wrenegade 96 Ti.

I also think the Heritage Lab R99 could fit well.

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Any idea if a 191 Mantra 102 would be easier on your knees? I
I skied last years mantra 102 as my everyday ski. I really liked it, and your right it didnt bug my knees. That being said I havent had good luck with the recent mantras durability, i think i got 75-80 days out of that ski last year before it delaminated. Also, the current generation is supposedly ‘more accessible’…

i’ll check out that heritage lab ski!

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I skied last years mantra 102 as my everyday ski. I really liked it, and your right it didnt bug my knees. That being said I havent had good luck with the recent mantras durability, i think i got 75-80 days out of that ski last year before it delaminated. Also, the current generation is supposedly ‘more accessible’…

Yeah, the Volkl's have mass market durability. If you have to pay full $$$ for it not sure it's going to feel great. Having said that, mine are ~50 days in and other than more than usual seeming base damage (I sort of wonder if it's the lower grade ptex vs. most other skis I use) I haven't had any problems.

I'm waiting (not so patiently) for my Heritage Lab R99 in the comp build and will definitely post a review when it shows up (probably March though).

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
I'm waiting (not so patiently) for my Heritage Lab R99 in the comp build and will definitely post a review when it shows up (probably March though).

I see he has them listed 'on sale' , I was wondering if he actually had them yet or if they were even available anymore. That looks like a fun ski! I was even checking out the skinnier model. I look forward to hearing what you think of them!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Alrighty, so I've been rocking the 2 ski resort quiver this season of Cochise 192 and Bonafide 189.

I totally love the Cochise, it WANTS TO GO! Only days I haven't really enjoyed them were some of our real Whitefish fog fest days when I wasn't comfortable letting them get to the speed they want to go(can't see nothing on those days). Also, they make the flatter terrain back to the lifts kinda boring...

So then I have the Bonafides. I like them on those foggy days because they are more enjoyable to ski at slower speeds. They can also ski the tightest bumps/trees very comfortably. I also like them on the mid to mellow groomers because I can bend them into crazy tight hip dragging arcs and go edge to edge very fast(for me)=makes those runs fun. However Im struggling with lack of high speed stability/dampening(groomer seems/crud piles) and tail edge hold on firm snow on steep groomers at high speed. I'd call them a 'playful' ski.

Surprisingly(to me at least) the Bonafides are not my favorite of the two on clear firm snow days(crusty off piste and firm groomers). If I've got room to let the skis run and I can see what's coming I prefer to carve high speed turns on the Cochise skis and I also prefer to ski them on the crusty off piste. My edge hold is significantly better and the Cochise can ski right through any chatter left over by the groomers or clumps of crud without checking my speed.

So that being said, skiing a 106 waist ski with the conditions we've been having for most of this winter(thin), so far, is abit of over kill. My knees seem to chirp at me abit more after repetitive days of skiing this wider skis. I thought for sure, 'oh it must be the weight'..but according to Blizzard the Cochise weigh 2450 and the Bonafides 2410. I dont think 40 grams is making a huge difference. Considering the Cochise and Bonafides come from the same brand and even the same family, Im very surprised by my different experiences with them. Is it the stated turn radius 26m(Cochise) vs 20m(Bonafides)? Transitioning between the 2 skis is VERY different for me.

What is a mid 90's waist version of the Cochise? Does that ski exist?
What year are your Bonafides?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
However Im struggling with lack of high speed stability/dampening(groomer seems/crud piles) and tail edge hold on firm snow on steep groomers at high speed.
Longer radius on the Cochise 106 and a bit stiffer underfoot and in the tail so they should have more stability at speed but the exact same sidecut/effective edge length so they should be very comparable as far as edge grip and damping goes.
Base high ski would exhibit what you’re describing on the Bonafide 97.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I see he has them listed 'on sale' , I was wondering if he actually had them yet or if they were even available anymore. That looks like a fun ski! I was even checking out the skinnier model. I look forward to hearing what you think of them!

Marshal's last update was that Blossom would have the Race-Room builds to him Feb 20 and he will tune and ship out Feb 25-28.

If they are listed as orderable on his website, then there should be availability in the upcoming batch from Blossom. Reach out to him and he'll let you know ASAP -> his communications have been excellent.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Have you considered going into your Volkl dealership and showing them those Mantra 102s to see if they will replace them, as failing in less than a year, or a year? Volkl is a bit rougher to do that with that Blizzard is, but if you have a good relationship with that ski shop, it might be worth the effort, can't hurt. (I've gotten a Volkl and a Blizzard replaced after problems in the first year. It wasn't difficult. A pleasant surprise.)

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Skier
Have you considered going into your Volkl dealership and showing them those Mantra 102s to see if they will replace them, as failing in less than a year, or a year?
Ive had three sets of mantras delam with less than a season on them, and Volkl credited me for every single pair without hesitation ! Great customer care, I just want something that lasts longer.

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Marshal's last update was that Blossom would have the Race-Room builds to him Feb 20 and he will tune and ship out Feb 25-28.

If they are listed as orderable on his website, then there should be availability in the upcoming batch from Blossom. Reach out to him and he'll let you know ASAP -> his communications have been excellent.
Nice, because it looks like the R87 is available.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ive had three sets of mantras delam with less than a season on them, and Volkl credited me for every single pair without hesitation ! Great customer care, I just want something that lasts longer.

I now feel somehow inadequate because I haven’t snapped my 102. Maybe a good excuse to go to Big Sky.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO the "regular" Blossom Pure 99 in 188 is definitely in the charger category.

I think you guys are on the right track with Marshall's Heritage versions.

Not sure about durability.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've got ZERO time on any Faction skis. I've always kinda looked the other way on them since I'm a very directional ski and they seem to have more forward mount points and twin'ish tails.
But think how much cooler in the kids running the lifts would think you were ;)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Dang! You know I only rock the pivots(and frequently get thrown under the bus around here for that), why ya gotta be hating?!?!

:cool:
Pivots are Gold! :ogbiggrin:
20210115_182301.jpg

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Insane deals on longer lengths of Blizzard Brahma 82/88 and Bonafide 97 if someone wants some narrower chargers.

Sponsor

Staff online