• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking at E-bikes

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
With my arthritic knees and hip I want to keep exercising. Biking is a good option. I have 2 bikes. 1 I've had for years and is your typical city cruiser. I also have a cheap mountain bike at the cottage.

I'm thinking I would like a e-bike. I would like to ride the roads at the cottage. So mostly gravel, rough paved roads and hills. I haven't seen too many e-bikes with skinny tires, but I don't need 4" ones either.

So what are your favs? Remember I'm in Canada, and some bikes might not be available here.

We have 2 bike shops in town. 1 is where I got my city cruiser (too long ago). Not sure if they have e-bikes. The other I know sells top of the line stuff...Giant, Trex etc. I want to get a good one and be fitted properly for it.

Help!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ok so first you probably mean pedal assist not really ebike. Pedal assist is like your typical bicycle with additional power when you're pedaling.

This is the same bike mostly that I have but with pedal assist. Up to 38mm tires so good for pavement and our typical gravel roads but the fresh gravel roads are a bit sketch on 38s even.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
You will appreciate having a suspension on gravel and rough roads. Ideally, full suspension. My wife’s has front suspension but even a cushy seat and post suspension isn’t cutting it. Then there’s the weight vs cost factor.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I will say, most of the Chinese junk will not be fixable by most shops. Most traditional bike shops will only service pedal assist and mostly from the big names that have Bosch or proprietary motors. For the amount of dough you're spending make sure you can get good service.

ilovepugs

The human form of the 100 emoji
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
With my arthritic knees and hip I want to keep exercising. Biking is a good option. I have 2 bikes. 1 I've had for years and is your typical city cruiser. I also have a cheap mountain bike at the cottage.

I'm thinking I would like a e-bike. I would like to ride the roads at the cottage. So mostly gravel, rough paved roads and hills. I haven't seen too many e-bikes with skinny tires, but I don't need 4" ones either.

So what are your favs? Remember I'm in Canada, and some bikes might not be available here.

We have 2 bike shops in town. 1 is where I got my city cruiser (too long ago). Not sure if they have e-bikes. The other I know sells top of the line stuff...Giant, Trex etc. I want to get a good one and be fitted properly for it.

Help!
There is a Giant store in Magog. Just saying.

BTaylor

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Skier
In that vein, here's a Trek Marlin.
I took a demo rode last week on the Trek Marlin+ 8 and loved it. Put a deposit on it yesterday and am picking it up this weekend. They are selling fast at Colorado Trek stores.

I *love* a good hardtail mountain bike. Even though I have a relatively high-end Yeti full-suspension bike, I am pretty sure, at 75 years, I'm going to use this Trek ebike more often than the Yeti. I see using the Marli+ 8 on my local gravel roads, relatively easy MTB trails, and for grocery shopping and bar-hopping in Breck.

RIDE TEST: Trek Marlin 8+ - EMTB On A Lower Budget

Marlin+ 8.png

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Help!

Be a good idea to demo an ebike (or pedal assist bike)to see if it provides the level of exercise required.

Wife bought one recently and even in the lowest power setting (econo) it takes away most of the physical exertion on the flat. It has 4 power settings and on the highest setting it zooms up quite steep hills with very little physical effort - basically just keep the legs going around.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Be a good idea to demo an ebike (or pedal assist bike)to see if it provides the level of exercise required.

Wife bought one recently and even in the lowest power setting (econo) it takes away most of the physical exertion on the flat. It has 4 power settings and on the highest setting it zooms up quite steep hills with very little physical effort - basically just keep the legs going around.

Some interesting points here:

Why electric bikes actually give more exercise than pedal bikes

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
Long Slow Distance cardio training is very beneficial. HIIT has its benefits too. Hills are more HIIT. E-bike riding might have more cardio benefits at the expense of less muscular benefits.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Long Slow Distance cardio training is very beneficial. HIIT has its benefits too. Hills are more HIIT. E-bike riding might have more cardio benefits at the expense of less muscular benefits.

Do we need to talk about bone density loss?
Neither cycling nor e-cycling are good for maintaining bone density.

If OP was interested in doing polarized or 80/20 training, you are entirely correct that an ebike would make the 80% in Zone 2 a lot easier and less boring.

OP needs to get out and test ride some bikes.

Last edited:

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

What bike is this? Most of the major brand's ebikes have apps that can adjust the amount of power provided for each of the power settings. If adjusted properly your wife should be able to get a solid workout.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
What bike is this? Most of the major brand's ebikes have apps that can adjust the amount of power provided for each of the power settings. If adjusted properly your wife should be able to get a solid workout.
The other thing about an eBike is you do not have to turn on the assist to ride if you want a real workout. I'd argue that climbing hills or even the flats pedaling a 55 lbs bike without or even in Eco mode does plenty for muscle workout and heart rate.

Plus speed is your friend and way more fun. You can go twice as far and see more in the same time with less impact, decent workout & shuttle to the trail head vs riding the bike. Afterwards you are not as trashed if you chose. Or you might ride on days you aren't feeling it and just get out with more assist for a casual leg stretch.

An avid gravel biking couple used to give me grieve, but went out and got two Pivot eShuttles which are in fairly light by comparison. They are much easier to schlep around than my Rail 5 beast, have programmable power settings & they love the full suspension for gravel riding, rough roads & single track. No more wrists, butt and lower back soreness.

They say in the first minute you ride an eBike, you'll want one. Be sure to look past the ones you test drive and check your priority boxes. If I was looking to trade mine, I'd take a hard look at the Trek Fuel EXe for it's versatility.

Something like the Trek Powerfly FS might be worth a look for more of a crosscountry/gravel option.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure that Doug's Bicycle has Trex and Giant. I'll get into see them.

If that's your shop of choice, one of those brands will have "your" e-bike, as they cover a lot of ground between them.

I love helping others bike shop. What's your budget?

Disclosure: Though I've left racing behind, Trek is still pretty kind to me, but I'm pretty open-minded (example: Mrs. K's e-bikes are Orbea for the road and Liv/Giant for the mtb).

TS
Jilly

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've always had a bike. I like to use it around town. Sort of wish I could have my 3 speed Raleigh with the super comfy seat. And no issues ever with the gears. But...

Doug's Bicycle is a locally owned shop. He's involved with getting group together for rides etc. Also helps with the annual bike auction the Police have. Makes sure the bikes are rideable. The "kid" even ran for City council. Really good guy.

According the website. Giant, Liv, Santa Cruz (I'm not buying a used car, that would cheaper) Momentum and Specialized. No Trex.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife loves her Liv mtb. Her second one. For your stated uses, I'd probably buy their hardtail mtb with a suspension fork.

Probably best to just pop in and chat with Doug, as Liv's website is less than wonderful, IMO.

Maybe something like the Tempt E+? Intrigue X Advanced E+ is what Mrs. K rides for "serious" mtb.

Sponsor

Staff online