• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
pug-abb-horizontal-png.29255

Pugski.com has continued its partnership with Masterfit University and is giving its members and followers access to their world-class bootfitting workshops. For less than $250 (with a 5% 10% Pugski code: Pugski18), you can learn the essentials of bootfitting in one day in Masterfit U's Associates course. Here is your chance get your questions answered and learn how ski boots should fit.

Unfortunately, we are past the East Coast dates; Seattle is in the next two days, where you can "walk in" and sign up at the door. You can still sign up online for Reno, Oct 29-30, and Denver, Nov 6-7.

For more details on the courses and our partnership, please see Pugski.Com Enters Working Partnership With America's Best Bootfitters/Masterfit University.

Who Will Benefit?
  • Joe or Jane Skier. For less than the cost of buying the wrong boots, you will be able to walk into an average shop and, chances are, have more knowledge than many of the people selling boots. This is like knowing dealer cost when you go to buy a car, but even better. In the Associates course, you will learn how to pick out a boot and how it should fit you, thus eliminating many of the pitfalls of buying the wrong boot. The two-day Associates Plus course is still less than the cost of a new pair of boots, plus you will build (and walk out with) your own pair of custom footbeds, a $150 value. Both courses will give you a foundation of information that will last throughout your skiing career.
  • Anyone thinking about working in a ski shop. Here is your chance to be more qualified than the next person. Having "Masterfit Associates Bootfitter" on your resume will put it at the top of the application pile; this small investment shows any shop manager that you are serious about working in the ski industry. Learning how to fit boots correctly and with confidence gives you the foundation for becoming a world-class bootfitter.
  • Ski instructors and coaches. You may benefit the most by attending these courses: you will be able to evaluate if an athlete is being limited by an alignment issue, to determine whether a student is being held back by boots that are too soft, too stiff, or simply don't fit right. Your students will be grateful, and who knows, a client might even cover the cost of the course with an appreciative tip. Check also with your PSIA-USSA region to see if these courses count toward your continuing education.
Skiers come to Pugski.com for information. There is no question that boots are the most important piece of gear if you want to progress in the sport. Masterfit's program will give you information that you will use for years -- forever, really. The Associates and Associates Plus courses are just a start; after graduating from these classes, you will be qualified to attend Masters courses and learn even more. I have been attending these continuing education classes for a decade, and every year I leave with more information in my tool chest.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The first year I was living in the Tahoe area I was entered into Masterfit University by Jim Schaffner and his association with Masterfit.
Since then I've figured out a way to attend every year, even if the shop I worked with didn't send me.
I've learned so much through these courses and am astounded at what I learn each time I attend.

If you're thinking about doing this, do it!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
How have you verified that what you have learned is truth?

I like soft boots that don't cramp my toes. I ski "professionally". and enjoy every turn.
How would "boot knowledge" help me? And how would I measure the improvement due to that knowledge?

There are few things as pathetic as the gung-ho proselytizing of the recent convert.

Signed

"a skeptic"

:)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

I like soft boots that don't cramp my toes. I ski "professionally". and enjoy every turn.
How would "boot knowledge" help me? And how would I measure the improvement due to that knowledge?

There are few things as pathetic as the gung-ho proselytizing of the recent convert.

Signed

"a skeptic"

I am not sure I understand the skepicism, Masterfit has long been recognized as one of the authorities on bootfitting. The instructors of MFU teach to accommodate not to correct. Just because something is correct, does not mean it is right. They do not teach one way of doing anything, so there is no one truth in their teachings and methods, each instructor has his/her own method usually based on decades of experience.

As far as how it would help you? I really don't know. I am not sure what you mean by that you ski "professionally", if you could expand on that, maybe we would have a better idea how MFU could help you. As far as measuring improvement, everyone values that differently.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Dear Skeptic,
There is a misnomer that a MFU bootfitter puts everyone in a boot too stiff and too tight.
If you were to attend, you may have some of your ideas changed.

Signed,
I love my boots.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to this!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm - that is very tempting.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Dear Skeptic,
There is a misnomer that a MFU bootfitter puts everyone in a boot too stiff and too tight.
If you were to attend, you may have some of your ideas changed.

Signed,
I love my boots.

Gotta love ambiguity!

It covers all the bases.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I am not sure I understand the skepicism, Masterfit has long been recognized as one of the authorities on bootfitting. The instructors of MFU teach to accommodate not to correct. Just because something is correct, does not mean it is right. They do not teach one way of doing anything, so there is no one truth in their teachings and methods, each instructor has his/her own method usually based on decades of experience.

As far as how it would help you? I really don't know. I am not sure what you mean by that you ski "professionally", if you could expand on that, maybe we would have a better idea how MFU could help you. As far as measuring improvement, everyone values that differently.

Well, If the instructors just do their own thing, then the umbrella of MFU reduces to the organization body. There is no theme, no truth etc.

Thank you for that clarity.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter

Signed

"a skeptic"

I think if you enjoy skiing or are involved with teaching skiing, more knowledge about equipment is always helpful. If it is not your cup of tea, that is fine but not sure the snark is warranted here.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with Nancy.

@CalG - so if everyone agrees then it's useless dogma, and if everyone does their own thing, it invalidates the field? Are you assuming there's no middle ground there?

Any field will have some consensus and some disagreement - and sometimes it's up to student to choose their own path based on available information and teaching. That doesn't mean getting that information and teaching is worthless.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Didn't we have a thread like this last year when the Americas Best put out their schedule of classes?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I just asked the question of how the information offered "helps".

How many ski instructors does it take to change a light bulb?

Six. One to change the bulb, and five to tell her what good turns she is making. (she/ he. them etc)

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, If the instructors just do their own thing, then the umbrella of MFU reduces to the organization body. There is no theme, no truth etc.

Thank you for that clarity.

The basics are standard, but there are different approaches.
The good thing about having different approaches is that you get a broad view of how fitting is applied for different applications.
One instructor may be a race guy
One may be a back country guy
One may be a snowboard guy
One may be a tele guy
One may be a resort guy
One may like gaited footbeds (tele and back country) and one may lean toward rigid footbeds(race and??)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Agree with Nancy.

@CalG - so if everyone agrees then it's useless dogma, and if everyone does their own thing, it invalidates the field?

No, there isn't a middle ground - but there is a third ground: externalized competition.

Your first scenario is exactly analogous to only one physics textbook used at one university. (Let's call it Halliday - Resnick). Your second scenario is exactly analogous to a university that uses both Halliday- Resnick AND a second textbook (let's call that one Marion - Hornyak).

Do you seriously want to argue that, because the second uni uses two textbooks, there is no need for more universities?

Without externalized competition, any brand is either dogma or pointless. Fundamentals of capitalism, you know?

Last edited:

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
No, there isn't a middle ground - but there is a third ground: externalized competition.

Your first scenario is exactly analogous to only one physics textbook used at one university. (Let's call it Halliday - Resnick). Your second scenario is exactly analogous to a university that uses both Halliday- Resnick AND a second textbook (let's call that one Marion - Hornyak).

Do you seriously want to argue that, because the second uni uses two textbooks, there is no need for more universities?

Without externalized competition, any brand is either dogma or pointless.

Wow! is Halliday-Resnick still a standard text??? getting 45 year flashbacks!!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*grin* lol, 45 years ago H-R didn't use matrix form for geometrical optics, that is one seriously computationally tiresome set of generator equations on that flashback :)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January