• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If there's anything to be learned from the FIS (or the UCI or any other international sports governing body based in the Old World™) they are extremely resistant to change.

In this case, it's a new day, different snow conditions, etc. The rules say there needs to be a new draw regardless and in this case it could be good.

So no good reason. Got it. :)

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So Vanna can spin the wheel again and you get a new chance to pick a better spot. Yeterday’s gone, those chances are done, too bad. Time for a new lottery.

No love for Zenhausern?
I fear he may be too big for the surface irregularities and softness. Seems like temps will barely be below freezing even tonight. Friday is the cold one.

Going to re-arrange.

Noel
Foss-Solevaag
Pinturault

Schwarz
Zenhausern
Zenhaeusern has been pretty bad so far this year.

22 in VDI and 18 in Madonna, and to my eye, it wasn't a case of "made a couple bad mistakes"

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tall guy had ligament injury and is fighting his way back this season. Still has pretty far to go to get to were he was pre injury. Appears to be a super nice guy. And tall.
If not for the previous injury, perhaps this presumably rowdy surface would fit/be dealt with by his long legs, also creating speed with those long things on the flats. I really hope that Ramon finds his way back.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tall guy had ligament injury and is fighting his way back this season. Still has pretty far to go to get to were he was pre injury. Appears to be a super nice guy. And tall.

So you're trying to say he's tall, correct? :ogbiggrin:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Hopefully minimum of snow, just enough to make it pretty.
Either that or paint the leaves ;)

if they can re-draw then I can re-pick although I don’t really remember who I picked but I am going with…
NOEL
FOSS-SOLVAGG
FELLER

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So resceduled for tomorrow afternoon.
View attachment 153985

Anyone playing FIS Predictor Challenge probably noticed the close date for predictions for the Zagreb Men's SL was 6th Jan. (Still showing that original close date.) Was that way ever since the Zagreb questions came out. Which seemed strange for an event that was supposed to be run on 5th Jan.

But here we are with race to actually be run on 6th. The Predictor ahead of us all? Twilight Zone?

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
As I opined on the women's thread, the Zagreb surface was not ready for prime time, as we say. Clearly whatever preparation was done had long decayed by the time the women's race was run, and an overnight freeze was not enough to penetrate and solidify the base to re-establish a surface that meets FIS World Cup standards.
A predictable outcome, and a waste of the athlete's time.

James

Out There
Instructor
They needed one more day. Low temps should make it fine for tmrw.

Seemed obvious after 14Strasser went down that things were bad. Then the long delay where they were pounding in wooden stakes next to some gate bases.
4B5E7AA6-16AB-450D-93A1-4F72C04871AB.jpeg

Vinatzer and Jakobsen in the very first section seemed to get so far out in front of the skis they lost time. I guess the skis were just not hooking up as they expected.

HK nearly 3 secs back, Feller crashed out near bottom. Zenhaeusrn looked good, only 1/2 sec back.

After 14Strasser-
6C82B26D-9225-4167-83B6-8E0890A867EA.jpeg

There’s some good slomo of the top placers at roughly 53:00-

Average Joe

Out on the slopes
Skier
Which is the predictable outcome when you try to race on shit conditions.
People get hurt. At least it was only a fracture and not a career ending injury.
It was obvious during the second run of the Women's race that the men's race would not be able to run. Who and why pressured the FIS to try to pull off that race? Maybe Primoz can shed some light?
Ante Kostelic is my first guess.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I would’ve predicted an mcl or lcl injury from that fall. It’s hard to get a sense of the impact on slomo when he caught the gate with his ankle as he spun.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ante has so little influence on FIS, that there's simply no way he could "force" them to do anything, not to mention Ante was never anything with the race (boss of the race is Vedran Pavlek). Main "person" who pressured FIS is Infront. That's where most of money is (tv rights). Local organizer has race insured, so they got their money anyway, and with no spectators ticket revenue is irrelevant. Infront has it too, but insurance money is smaller then what they get if race goes through. So surprise surprise it's about money, pretty strange in 2022 right? ;)

wnyskier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Noticed that Foss-Solevaag took a gate across the face, knocking out his goggle lens and cutting his chin. Still won the run. I believe the same thing happened to him at a SL last year......It's all irrelevant given the near immediate decay of the course, but still a good run given the circumstances.

You could see the sugar coming off the skis as they just peeled the snow off course and there were piles of sugar just off the line at the outset so any miscues spelled disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online