• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MEN'S World Cup 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
4/100ths between them on Run 2. 6th for MO & 7th for RR. Should have compared RR with Kranjec with RR, they tied in that run. ogwink

James

Out There
Instructor
36E58E4F-EAC1-4B78-A3AA-568C142DDA2B.jpeg

Quite the White Room in those sliding falls. Was anyone injured in those violent loss of skis?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Is there a slow-motion women's version as well that is filmed from the same vantage points?
I have not seen one of the women but I bet there would be a lot less hucking, throwing & hurling going on (except maybe Robinson & Goggia). ogwink

James

Out There
Instructor
Hmmm, testosterone :huh:
Course set & conditions probably aren’t much different at Soelden. Approach & speed are likely factors.
Would be nice to know the differences.
Here’s the top finishers.
A84E1EF9-0110-4096-8DE4-F136EB587F80.jpeg 5DEBCDAC-4D25-4E4D-BB7D-08C8374210D8.jpeg

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, testosterone :huh:
Course set & conditions probably aren’t much different at Soelden. Approach & speed are likely factors.

Would be nice to know the differences.
Here’s the top finishers.
View attachment 146945 View attachment 146946

I am also curious about the difference. I could envision course sets that may drive more stivoting, regardless of speed; and I could see how absolute speed would drive stivoting regardless of course set. And aggressiveness of the line I suppose could require corrections regardless of speed or course set. Hmm.... I'm going to guess speed, and aceeleration out of the turns, are the biggest drivers, more than a difference in approach/line/course set.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Even if same terrain, you can't really compare two races on that terrain. It doesn't go even between two men or two women races, and even less between men and women race. Terrain is similar, not same, but that's all that is similar. I don't know how it was this year, as I wasn't there, but normally snow conditions change for 100% from Saturday (women) to Sunday (men). When Saturday is nice and grippy, Sunday is normally way way more icy (normally some extra water and/or salt, and few 100 slippers going down the course in progress of women race already and even more after the race, to prepare hill for men race. So it's impossible to compare. But if someone would desperately want some sort comparison, Marlies Schild, who was probably more dominating in SL that year then Shiffrin was in her best year, was forerunning Schladming race. Difference, even though never publicly announced, was 8 sec in single, about 55sec long run.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Even if same terrain, you can't really compare two races on that terrain. It doesn't go even between two men or two women races, and even less between men and women race. Terrain is similar, not same, but that's all that is similar. I don't know how it was this year, as I wasn't there, but normally snow conditions change for 100% from Saturday (women) to Sunday (men). When Saturday is nice and grippy, Sunday is normally way way more icy (normally some extra water and/or salt, and few 100 slippers going down the course in progress of women race already and even more after the race, to prepare hill for men race. So it's impossible to compare. But if someone would desperately want some sort comparison, Marlies Schild, who was probably more dominating in SL that year then Shiffrin was in her best year, was forerunning Schladming race. Difference, even though never publicly announced, was 8 sec in single, about 55sec long run.
Sure... but that's kind of beside the point. I'm not looking to get into any kind of "could the women compete with men" kind of stuff. I'm just wondering why women wouldn't stivot as much as the men in their own race. (Well, and IF they really don't in the first place.)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@dbostedo setting course with more direct set and just meter longer gates distance eliminates need for stivot. There are regulations on minimum number of gates, but you can put extra few direct gates on flat and all of a sudden you have enough space to make more direct set with gate or two less in steep. And with that you can make skiing more arc to arc instead of stivoting.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, as usual I'm getting to this thread a week late because of spoiler aversion and general sloth. I will check out the virtual predictor thing. Meanwhile this quote from the SkiRacing piece on TV coverage certainly struck me (emphasis mine):

"I think NBC and Peacock, they have not decided clearly on their strategy with winter sports content, so last year they moved everything from linear channels, the Olympic Channel to Peacock and they’re still trying to figure out how they want to present the content, which form — and I think this is one of the reasons that this has been delayed once again,” Salomon said.

Ya think??? Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January