• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid Layer Recommendations

pjcodner

Booting up
Skier
I ski in the mid west where it can get down right cold here some days especially after the sun goes down. I was out last weekend and I was getting cold on my shoulders which got me looking into options for a mid layer. I have a Columbia jacket with a removable liner and omni heat in the liner. I was wearing merino wool base layers under the jacket and that was it. It was windy out as well which is why I think I was getting cold on the shoulders but only while on the chair ride up.

I have researched online and they all say to get something with wool or fleece. That is like saying get black or red to me. There are a ton of options. Which do you find work the best keeping in mind I have a limited budget but will spend money to stay warm.

Thanks in advance.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Sypder full zip up sweater as my primary mid layer. Works great on 0 degree nights. Also have a thin puffy coat that works great.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I have closet full of fleece, button up shirts, pull overs, vests, which I layer in for different temperatures and weather conditions. I've used them under a shell in down to -20F with great success. I buy them at thrift stores, never gotten a new one, and I've not noticed that brand makes a difference.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The "Polar Fleas" mid-layers really do work well. But for your specific problem of wind-induced cold I think you need a more windproof outer shell. A hard shell with good wind resistance. My photo on the left is my soft-shell Columbia jacket. It is good until it gets really windy. Then I use my hard-shell North Face jacket. It makes a ton of difference. All with the same mid and base layers.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Midlayer + inexpensive == fleece. Nothing beats it price to warmth.

If you happen to find a steal of something with active-oriented synthetic insulation (like a patagonia nano air or something made from polartech alpha) -- I like those a lot too as midlayers.

Still, I wear a grid fleece as a midlayer 90% of the time.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have Spyder full zip up sweater as my primary mid layer. Works great on 0 degree nights. Also have a thin puffy coat that works great.
Actually, it is Storm Creek vs Spyder. Less expensive version. Costco has/had(?) Spyder at reduced costs.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Patagonia R2. The regular version, not the techface. No matter how many newer mids I buy, I always come back to this one.Lightweight, fluffy, warm. Perfect.

AtleB

Out on the slopes
Skier
My very favorite that I can wear for a wide variety of temperatures is a jersey which combines a synthetic mesh on the inside and a merino wool on the outside. I more often than not wear only this with a shell jacket. I am sure there are other brands, but this is the the one I use https://www.brynje.no/gb/en/arctic-zip-polo-shirt-w-thumbfingergrip
When its too cold for this setup, I usually go with a thinner merino base layer, a synthetic down mid layer (primaloft) and a shell.
When its too warm I just go with thin merino and a shell.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
On cold days I wear a Columbia fleece hoody I got at SportCheck for 75% off on a promotion, combined with a down filled vest for my mid-layer (along with my warmest base layer and an insulated jacket). I'm thinking a down sweater might be better though; the down sweater would replace the fleece and vest.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Kuhl has a 1/4 zip that I’ve been using for years, love it. Has held up great and very warm, on coldest of days I just use my base plus my 1/4 zip and a wool vest followed by shell . But most time’s only my base and and 1/4 zip followed by my shell.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. I more often than not wear only this with a shell jacket. I am sure there are other brands, but this is the the one I use https://www.brynje.no/gb/en/arctic-zip-polo-shirt-w-thumbfingergrip

We used to get Brynje in the US; haven't seen it in quite some time.

Patagonia R2. The regular version, not the techface. No matter how many newer mids I buy, I always come back to this one.Lightweight, fluffy, warm. Perfect.

:thumb:

I also have an R3 I liked to use for a party trick pre-Covid. On any given 0-15F day, throw on a base layer (doesn't matter which, an open mesh sports jersey will do), the R3 and a cheap PU rain shell. Ride to the bike shop, cozy as.

When you get to the bike shop, take the shell off and make sure people watch as you shake the sweat ice out from inside. They NEVER believe that you never even felt the cold.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier

I really like my Patagonia R1 quarter zip pullover. Whenever I get cold I add this under my current layers and it always keeps me warm. Super versatile.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are on a budget, and it’s for lift accessed skiing (ie packed size and weight doesn’t matter), any cheap fleece will do.
I have a closet full of high tech apparel, but really, the difference for a midlayer like you describe is minimal.

A vest can be nice Isfahan you need more layers, but it’s starting to get bulky.

If it’s a cold wind, I’d also make sure to have a fairly thick (fleece) neck gaiter, to seal the gap at your neck.

And close the snow skirt or bottom hem drawcord, if your jacket has one, again, to keep the wind from blowing all the warm air out of your jacket.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I have a different strategy I developed over the years. I wear a 150 base with an arc Teryx Proton LT. That piece is incredibly versatile. I wear that down to 15, I can add a 200/250 wool weight shirt and I’m good to below zero. The Proton LT however, seemingly adjusts to temps. It doesn’t of course, but it just seems to retain more heat when the temps drop. I betting it’s due to its incredible wicking and breathability. Best of all, regardless, its a combo I don’t think about anymore. It’s super light and comfortable.

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
I have friends that put so many layers on I can't understand how they don't overheat. I'd rather be a little cold going up the lift than be sweating at the bottom of the run. I like Patagonia Capilene base layers and their R1 mid layer. They are relatively thin but somehow keep me comfortable on most days. On really cold days <10° I add a thin Marmot polartec jacket I've had forever. I use either a soft-shell or hard-shell jacket with no insulation to go on top. Wind is usually the biggest factor in making one cold. A good hard-shell generally solves that problem.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's an interesting topic. I have friends that put so many layers on I can't understand how they don't overheat. I'd rather be a little cold going up the lift than be sweating at the bottom of the run. I like Patagonia Capilene base layers and their R1 mid layer. They are relatively thin but somehow keep me comfortable on most days. On really cold days <10° I add a thin Marmot polartec jacket I've have forever. I use either a soft-shell or hard-shell jacket with no insulation to go on top. Wind is usually the biggest factor in making one cold. A good hard-shell is the solution I've found that works well.
I start sweat just looking at how warm some people dress to ski. I'll wear lightweight base layers, a light 1/4 zip fleece and shell pants/jacket on anything but the coldest days when I'll put a heavier bottom base layer and a heavier fleece. I don't even own an insulated jacket or pants anymore. The neck gaiter doesn't usually even come out until it's approaching single digit(F) temps.
I also agree that having a good outer shell is the key to keeping the wind out. Adding a better mid layer may help on the cold lift but could easily make you overheated and sweating while skiing hard, at least for me. If you tend to like high speed longish radius turns you probably won't get overheated, if you like skiing bumps, trees, or slalom turns you might.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are a lot of good ideas here. Here's my approach

I prefer a minimalist base in terms of underlying bulk and I don't like to sweat (which comes easily for me)...add and subtract as needed depending on the day.

1. smartwool or icebreaker or some other brand wool t-shirt or long-sleeve t-shirt shirt

2. Patagonia Capiline Air Hoody. It has a very thin but warm layer so doesn't bulk up under the shell or other layers. the hoody also serves as a quasi face covering for standing in lift lines. This is an incredibly impressive piece of clothing. I wear this in long-underwear also. Magic, It's like something out of Lord of the Rings Elfish world.

3. Patagonia airshed wind shirt. (hard to find now that they replaced it with Houdini Air but other company windshirts like OR, Rab are good too). This goes over the hoody but under your jacket.

OR substituted 2 and 3 on super cold days (and if budget doesn't allow for 2 and 3) with a dual base layer like Smartwool 250/Icebreaker 260 and then a generic wool sweater from basically anywhere, but I'm partial to JCrew wool after season sales. For example, right now at JCrew factory their wool sweaters are only $20-$35 after discounts. slim pickings though. Another option I do is Ebay to buy wool sweaters. So cheap for generally quality stuff like Patagonia/Orvis/etc. You should be able to find quality for $40 or less.

4. Patagonia NanoAir Hoody jacket or Patagonia R2 Techface Hoody. Always a head-tight hoody for helmet warmth. The Patagonia hoodys are some of the best for under the helmet. They also don't bulk and choke you if you're not wearing them. Prefer NanoAir over r2 Tech, but both are Breathable and warm when it needs to be. Excellent pocket placement for food and phones. Other options are OR Uber (no longer made, but OR has similar called Ascendant and Refuge), MH Kor Strata, or Arcteryx Proton or Atom LT (Proton has better pockets and is more breathable, but also more expensive). The hoodys on these jackets aren't as good as the patagonia for how I want to wear a hood under a helmet. If you don't care, then Proton or NanoAir are basically similar.

5. Shell - I use either Marmot (soft) or Arcteryx (Hard-Gortex 2 or 3 layer).

I don't like puffy's because they don't breathe and can choke the neck when the shell is fully zipped.

Finally, I never pay retail on any of this. I'm patient. So options are end of season sales and/or Ebay, steep&cheap, factorywebsites of the brands you shop, etc. I'll also buy used on Ebay. I don't think I've ever paid more than 25% off because even the brand sites will occassionally offer 25% off sales.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited:

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a different strategy I developed over the years. I wear a 150 base with an arc Teryx Proton LT. That piece is incredibly versatile. I wear that down to 15, I can add a 200/250 wool weight shirt and I’m good to below zero. The Proton LT however, seemingly adjusts to temps. It doesn’t of course, but it just seems to retain more heat when the temps drop. I betting it’s due to its incredible wicking and breathability. Best of all, regardless, its a combo I don’t think about anymore. It’s super light and comfortable.

I could also have just said "do this" and maybe consider adding the windshirt I mentioned above over the 150-250 baselaye if this is not enough. I favor the NanoAir Hoody Jacket over the Proton LT because of the helmet hood preference, but these two jackets are simply the best tech out there right now for under-the-shell. This is truly minimalist massive warmth & breathability to bulk ratio approach.

Sponsor

Staff online