• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I think Schlanger is pretty useless tbh

Porino not much better, but at least has some insight/contacts.

Commentating on skiing is pretty tough though. You're watching 30 of the world's best ski the same course time after time, and to anyone but highly trained eyes, they all basically look the same unless there's a big error. So you're basically just watching splits.
I watched all of the 1st runs without commentary last season which was kinda nice but if you blink you miss something. If the announcers would just tone it down a bit I’d be fine with it. It gets annoying when they get hyper exuberant and continue to repeat the same things over and over.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I watched all of the 1st runs without commentary last season which was kinda nice but if you blink you miss something. If the announcers would just tone it down a bit I’d be fine with it. It gets annoying when they get hyper exuberant and continue to repeat the same things over and over.
Thank you.
From your lips to Peacock's ears.

James

Out There
Instructor
Peacock had no commentary first run on Sunday then second run had Schlanger and Porino. Weird.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Peacock had no commentary first run on Sunday then second run had Schlanger and Porino. Weird.

That's typical: they save their talent for the version that most will see.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI: MS slated to start 31st in tomorrow's DH at Lake Louise. Her world ranking in DH has fallen precipitously from her 2018-19 levels. We'll see how it goes.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
FYI: MS slated to start 31st in tomorrow's DH at Lake Louise. Her world ranking in DH has fallen precipitously from her 2018-19 levels. We'll see how it goes.
I think she's still ranked 4 in the world in DH (0.74 FIS points), but she's fallen off the WCSL because she didn't start any DHs (on world cup, or anywhere) last season.

1638507023955.png

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
So USA may diplomatically boycott the Olympics. I think that means the athletes can still go. Who thought China getting this was a good idea?
Here is why Oslo withdrew. Norway would have been idea on several fronts - especially for Shiffy.

…The most damaging development [for support of the Oslo bid] was the public scrutiny of the IOC’s 7000 pages of requirements. An exposé by a Norwegian tabloid allegedly revealed extravagant hospitality demands made by the IOC. They included a cocktail reception with the royal family with drinks paid for by them or the organizing committee, the provision of road lanes exclusively for use by IOC members, and priority treatment at airports and hotels being used by IOC members.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_bid_for_the_2022_Winter_Olympics

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
So USA may diplomatically boycott the Olympics. I think that means the athletes can still go. Who thought China getting this was a good idea?
Here is why Oslo withdrew. Norway would have been idea on several fronts - especially for Shiffy.

…The most damaging development [for support of the Oslo bid] was the public scrutiny of the IOC’s 7000 pages of requirements. An exposé by a Norwegian tabloid allegedly revealed extravagant hospitality demands made by the IOC. They included a cocktail reception with the royal family with drinks paid for by them or the organizing committee, the provision of road lanes exclusively for use by IOC members, and priority treatment at airports and hotels being used by IOC members.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_bid_for_the_2022_Winter_Olympics
diplomatic boycott just means not sending governmental ambassadors, so ... nbd really

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Who thought China getting this was a good idea?
Honestly... anyone in winter sports and their dogs. Winter Olympics are slightly different and pretty much unrelated to what some weird guy in some well guarded house thinks ;) When you try to sell some winter equipment, and you have fully saturated market of about 5 million people, and then you have market of 1.4 billion people where winter sport doesn't really exist yet, and winter olympics might fire it up, I guess it's not really all that much of a question where you would rather go, or is it? ;)
Another thing is also who really wants to host Olympics. It's not so many candidates anymore. Sure on beginning there's whole bunch of interested cities/countries, but when "race" is closing and local communities starts to get involved, pretty much everyone are strongly against Olympics. First it's insane money that hosting country/cities needs to invest with basically no return. I have no idea which were last Winter Olympics that were profitable. And then it comes out, what it came out in Norway, what insane demands IOC has, and it's no wonder, you end up with list of maybe 3 countries, that might still be interested to host them for anything but sport reasons.
But purely from winter sport industry view, you can hardly find better country then China for this.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Honestly... anyone in winter sports and their dogs. Winter Olympics are slightly different and pretty much unrelated to what some weird guy in some well guarded house thinks ;) When you try to sell some winter equipment, and you have fully saturated market of about 5 million people, and then you have market of 1.4 billion people where winter sport doesn't really exist yet, and winter olympics might fire it up, I guess it's not really all that much of a question where you would rather go, or is it? ;)
This is very likely for most businesses. China has a huge market that a lot of sectors want to get a financial piece of but they also have to navigate through the quagmire of working with the Chinese government as well.

Up until recently, it wasn't a problem to do business in China. But now even slightest comments are sending backlashes to those very companies in the form of boycotts both foreign and domestic.

-Companies not addressing possible slave labor concerns? Domestic market boycotts for not doing enough to address it.
-Company speaks out about strong alleged slavery? Chinese market is closed off for 'criticism of Chinese ideals' or something.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
First it's insane money that hosting country/cities needs to invest with basically no return. I have no idea which were last Winter Olympics that were profitable.
Most Profitable Olympic Games Ever, Ranked | Work + Moneyhttps://www.workandmoney.com › most-profitable-oly...

Link to both Summer and Winter games- winners and losers
Don't think I will be watching the games- I know it is an impossibly feeble act but, kinda like the old t-shits that had Mickey Mouse flipping off an eagle swooping down on him titled "The Last Act of Defiance."

Flatland Steve

Booting up
Skier
I think Schlanger is pretty useless tbh

Porino not much better, but at least has some insight/contacts.

Commentating on skiing is pretty tough though. You're watching 30 of the world's best ski the same course time after time, and to anyone but highly trained eyes, they all basically look the same unless there's a big error. So you're basically just watching splits.
My issue with them is fundamental to this thread - if you took a shot every time they said the words "Mikaela Shiffrin" you'd be dead and embalmed before the forerunners cleared the course.

How about just calling the racer in front of you a little more often?

Sponsor

Staff online