• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The enigma of Etna. @Wending bought me a very well regarded book on Etna wines, as a gift. (My long-gone grandfather was born there.) It was so disappointing I didn't get halfway through it. What good is a wine book without decent maps?

The wines intrigue me, what little exposure I've had to them. Unfortunately small producers' bottles are often hard to find and expensive - not a good combination.

Anyway, this one, apparently all Nerello Mascalese, is lovely. On the nose it's an unfamiliar but appealing mix of Gamay, Nebbiolo and Grenache. Lots of strawberry. Some kind of not too pushy flower.

You can see that it's quite pale. Looks like a Pinot or maybe a Schiava.

On the palate it's sweet but structured. Reminds me of ... what? Maybe very good Spätburgunder? Very good cru Beaujolais? Aosta, without so much tannin?

Of course all those are off, because it is what it is - enigmatic Etna. It doesn't want or need to be compared with the other good looking kids. But so interesting that this delicate, nuanced wine sounds come from a place that we associate with heat - lava, even - and over-the-top aesthetics.

@skibob , @jmeb , would love some insights from you on this region. Good & affordable producers?

PXL_20220409_222355351.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20220409_202118538.MP~2.jpg

Reactions: mdf

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I went for today's wine because I enjoy cinsault and because I liked the marketing story. I'm applying intentional suspension of disbelief.

the winemaker discovered that old pre-regulation SA cabs were often mostly cinsault. Hence "old school".

"Raised by wolves" is a jab at the natural wine movement.... it's not just natural, the winemaker was raised by wolves!

How does it taste? A lot like the cinsault we had at Snowmass. The 1/3 cab doesn't really show through. Much less tannin than my usual, but enough to hold it together. Not too acid, but enough. The flavor reminds me of an older wine.

Bottom line, I like it.
20220409_204126.jpg

20220409_204138.jpg

edit-- it is lighter color than it looks edge-on, and the correct idiom is "willing suspension of disbelief ". Sorry.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whoa .... I'm in awe of upper body strength ...... because I'm pretty wimpy in that category.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The enigma of Etna. @Wending bought me a very well regarded book on Etna wines, as a gift. (My long-gone grandfather was born there.) It was so disappointing I didn't get halfway through it. What good is a wine book without decent maps?

The wines intrigue me, what little exposure I've had to them. Unfortunately small producers' bottles are often hard to find and expensive - not a good combination.

Anyway, this one, apparently all Nerello Mascalese, is lovely. On the nose it's an unfamiliar but appealing mix of Gamay, Nebbiolo and Grenache. Lots of strawberry. Some kind of not too pushy flower.

You can see that it's quite pale. Looks like a Pinot or maybe a Schiava.

On the palate it's sweet but structured. Reminds me of ... what? Maybe very good Spätburgunder? Very good cru Beaujolais? Aosta, without so much tannin?

Of course all those are off, because it is what it is - enigmatic Etna. It doesn't want or need to be compared with the other good looking kids. But so interesting that this delicate, nuanced wine sounds come from a place that we associate with heat - lava, even - and over-the-top aesthetics.

@skibob , @jmeb , would love some insights from you on this region. Good & affordable producers?

View attachment 165928 View attachment 165929
Did an Etna tasting years ago with my Master of Wine friend and another friend who has a place on Etna. Enjoyed the tasting and some of the wines. But they are just too obscure for me to remember names or ever hope to find again.

Hankj

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMG_20220416_133219587.jpg
2006 - I was surprised by how much life this bottle had left. Flora Springs is very good but not built for the ages.

I just noticed that there's a glass left in the bottle, apparently I'm not trying hard enough

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 166632
2006 - I was surprised by how much life this bottle had left. Flora Springs is very good but not built for the ages.

I just noticed that there's a glass left in the bottle, apparently I'm not trying hard enough
Brake cable housing or metal grip? I guess if you're gonna drink the bench is a good place. A very clean bench, btw.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 166632

noted the workshop image too! great shot. Some of my best work happens with input from a bit of wine.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 166599

Unfortunately, the fruit was pretty gone. Waited too long. Great fine grained zinfandel structure. And, although the cork crumbled, it wasn't even remotely oxidized.
Tonight's wine. Like last night fairly dry and like @skibob wine, not very fruity but I would say more like a flavor hint like brandy has.

Really flavorful but not fruit like

Sponsor