• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
well, having touted that I seldom do whites, did find this nice yesterday on a hot day after working on a playground rebuild:

Resized_20220702_094730 (1).jpg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
hehehehe, as witnessed by the near emptiness of the bottle. :)
How do you think I found out it was good. Every bottle doesn't have to be great and I did say it was good.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
hehehehe, as witnessed by the near emptiness of the bottle. :)
Years ago my sister in-law ordered a beer. When it came, my wife asked how it was. SIL made a face and said "Its not that good". My wife said she would drink it to which my SIL replied "No! I don't despise it" and took another sip.

So that is our standard response now when something is mediocre: "I don't despise it". Uncle-A clearly did not despise it :)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@skibob I haven't followed this thread. You appear to know your wines! I do not ogsmile
If you're from Santa Rosa, CA are you in the wine business?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wanna be your friend!!!! :wine:

of course, you are here in our own little corner of the world
Very much so. Consulting winemaker and designer of winery equipment.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wanna be your friend!!!! :wine:

of course, you are here in our own little corner of the world
I should add that, although I am an expert on winemaking, that is not the same thing as an expert on wine. Some winemakers only know their little corner of the wine world. My knowledge and experience are a little broader. But "wine experts" have an encompassing knowledge few winemakers have. My friend who is a Master of Wine would never have made the mistake I did a few pages back saying Barolo is made w/ Sangiovese grapes (or did I say Brunello with Nebbiolo? I can't recall which way I made the lazy mistake).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I should add that, although I am an expert on winemaking, that is not the same thing as an expert on wine. Some winemakers only know their little corner of the wine world. My knowledge and experience are a little broader. But "wine experts" have an encompassing knowledge few winemakers have. My friend who is a Master of Wine would never have made the mistake I did a few pages back saying Barolo is made w/ Sangiovese grapes (or did I say Brunello with Nebbiolo? I can't recall which way I made the lazy mistake).
It doesn't matter, you know more than anyone here I think.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Tried something new to me tonight and I don't generally have a rose wine but this was not bad.
View attachment 172502
This is an estate that I sold, long ago. Good stuff. Presumably still is.

The Tempier Bandol is kind of the standard bearer, but pricy.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Every agricultural crop needs bees...
Not true. Bananas for example are infertile triploid (three sets of genes instead of two) mutants which are only reproduced by offshoots or tissue culture. There is a breeding program trying to find disease resistant variants. But they get like 1 seed per 10,000 flowers pollinated (by hand), or something crazy like that. When was the last time you had a seed in your banana? If we are talking grocery store, it is almost certainly never.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We had a few bottles shipped from Adobe Road winery in Petaluma after a tasting there. The owner is a former formula one driver, so there is a theme. Here is a silly but fun bottle decoration:
20220708_132807.jpg

Oh no... over-pouring! Past the redline!
20220708_132817.jpg

edit after typing on a phone....

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On paper, there is no reason I should like white Rhônes. On paper, they're too fat, too dull, too alcoholic. Maybe I'm reading the wrong paper.

In any case, I love them. (Well, good ones. But that always applies, right?) Especially in the summer.

Barruol is a producer whose reds have been consumed at at least one Gathering. Don't remember having a white before last night. Drinking the second half of the bottle tonight. It has only improved. So delicious. Interestingly, it's completely closed at fridge temp. As soon as it warms up ten degrees it blooms into something like Carmen Miranda's hat, but more tasteful.

PXL_20220710_000929221.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20220708_232602376.MP-01.jpeg PXL_20220709_000533969.MP-01.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online