• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How about "barnyard"? I wasn't at this wine tasting, but my parents were. My mother grew up on a dairy farm. So I'm sure she knew what a "barnyard smell" was. Don't remember the wine they were tasting...red of some sort....And Mom liked her whites...
On my first wine job I had the chance to taste the '59 La Tâche. Even then it was a 25yo wine. Definitely some barnyard there. Is it a bug or a feature? It depends. (According to me.)

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
How about "barnyard"? I wasn't at this wine tasting, but my parents were. My mother grew up on a dairy farm. So I'm sure she knew what a "barnyard smell" was. Don't remember the wine they were tasting...red of some sort....And Mom liked her whites...
Barnyard is typically used to describe wine that has grown yeast from the genera brettanomyces and/or dekkera. These volatile phenols used to be a hallmark of Burgundy but are slowly becoming less common as the wine world defines it as a flaw. The chemical markers of smoke taint are closely related to the metabolites of these yeast. But the sensory qualities not so much.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
On my first wine job I had the chance to taste the '59 La Tâche. Even then it was a 25yo wine. Definitely some barnyard there. Is it a bug or a feature? It depends. (According to me.)
Agree. At threshold levels when well integrated (harder than it sounds) I very much like it. It can easily be too much also.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
ehhh, I think you were joking but skatole and other similar indoles absolutely can be produced by various lactic acid bacteria (not brett/dekkera though, TTBMK).

"At threshold levels when well integrated...It can easily be too much" + 'barnyard' with the added frisson of presence in coal tars. <-3x funny

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like a little barnyard in my bordeaux. Agree it can be over stated. Interesting to learn it's brettanomyces, thanks @skibob

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like a little barnyard in my bordeaux. Agree it can be over stated. Interesting to learn it's brettanomyces, thanks @skibob
to file in the "you almost certainly don't care" bin: Everybody says brettanomyces because for decades the yeast was identified incorrectly as that. There is wide consensus now that it is actually yeast of the genera dekkera that we have always been talking about. But "brett" in wine has become such a ubiquitous thing that it just doesn't change, despite being wrong most of the time (brett is occasionally identified, but the vast majority is dekkerra.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having a quite nice Mencia grape based wine.

Description noted peppery and sour cherry that even my palette can taste.

Really a pleasant wine for the price. Great deal

20220925_182844.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just finished a bottle that I didn't take a photo of, but it's worth mentioning as an anti-pattern. This was a Maremma bottling from Mazzei, of Fonterutoli fame. Depending on the vintage, it's called "Tirreno" or "Tirrenico." Going back in time, I've been a big Fonterutoli fan. I always thought they did "international" the right way. All the local soul but none of the rustic cruft.

Well, based on this wine they've jumped the shark. Big, ripe, glossy, monolithic, correct, completely unmoving. It didn't sing. Then, after two days the flaws really surfaced. The baked prune juice qualities were starting to emerge, and along with them its inability to develop into anything interesting.

I think it's good, once in a while, to highlight problem wines among the winners.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Speaking of winners, this bottle (below) was definitely a winner. Some time with air just revealed more and more depth and balance. Upon opening it just seemed like a good high-value southern Rhone - Gigondas, Vacqueyras, the like. I was a bit surprised at how young it seemed for a six year old wine. The next day the structure and length of the thing really emerged. The layers of tannins and the upright muscular quality of the fruit really reminded me of a big northern Medoc. Just regal, and crazy good for $16.99. I bought more.

PXL_20220919_223349820.MP-02.jpeg

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just finished a bottle that I didn't take a photo of, but it's worth mentioning as an anti-pattern. This was a Maremma bottling from Mazzei, of Fonterutoli fame. Depending on the vintage, it's called "Tirreno" or "Tirrenico." Going back in time, I've been a big Fonterutoli fan. I always thought they did "international" the right way. All the local soul but none of the rustic cruft.

Well, based on this wine they've jumped the shark. Big, ripe, glossy, monolithic, correct, completely unmoving. It didn't sing. Then, after two days the flaws really surfaced. The baked prune juice qualities were starting to emerge, and along with them its inability to develop into anything interesting.

I think it's good, once in a while, to highlight problem wines among the winners.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Speaking of winners, this bottle (below) was definitely a winner. Some time with air just revealed more and more depth and balance. Upon opening it just seemed like a good high-value southern Rhone - Gigondas, Vacqueyras, the like. I was a bit surprised at how young it seemed for a six year old wine. The next day the structure and length of the thing really emerged. The layers of tannins and the upright muscular quality of the fruit really reminded me of a big northern Medoc. Just regal, and crazy good for $16.99. I bought more.

View attachment 179269
I don't think I've ever had a Vinsobres. Which is a really odd name for a village: "Sober wine". Um, yeah.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Distilling what?
Wine and beer, maybe? The Truth?

If that wine I posted were at Jilly's house it would be in a Bordeaux bottle with some crazy inscrutable label like "Gatineau Rhone Club Selection."

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

Snooze.

Sorry, ubersnooze.

We have applejack, peach, williams pear, and kirschwasser within an hour's bike ride of city center here. Hell, Dogfish Head even do a honey rum.

With the number of tree fruit growers in BC I would hope at least one got smart enough to distill something tasty from unsellable fruit.

If that wine I posted were at Jilly's house it would be in a Bordeaux bottle with some crazy inscrutable label like "Gatineau Rhone Club Selection."

Ok, that's funny.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Distilling what?

Don't know. And I live about 10 minutes from the Old Wiser Distillery. There are a couple over in the County now.

Don't know of Gatineau winery. Opiminan is my wine club.

Come to think, I don't have any Cote du Rhone in the cellar. Lots of Bordeaux reds.

Sponsor

Staff online