• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, so I have a little thing for this winery. Even so, show me to a better North American pinot blanc. This one was so scrumptious Wendy and I almost polished off a bottle in one sitting a couple nights ago. I had the last glass tonight. Hard to imagine a better restaurant white. I don't mean that in a derogatory way. I mean that it's extremely approachable and yet has a ton of depth to it.

PXL_20230622_230715861.MP-01.jpeg

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
Well, this is another dump find...sort of.

Hired a part timer and was telling him of the great Margaux discovery (everyone asks what was the best thing I ever found )
He tells me he went to France with his wine connoisseur brother and they each came home with a case of select wines.
Then he says he doesn't drink and when I asked him why he spent what must have been beaucoup bucks if he wasn't going to eventually drink them, he told me he gave them away as gifts.
And it so happened he had one bottle left and if I wanted it ....

It was quite young but deliciously fruity.

IMG_7165.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I imagine he meant "still very youthful for a wine of this age."

I read it as 'the tannins have *not* softened even though it's not a Premier Cru'

Kinky me read it as 'Dayum, it was like dating a hot, baby-fat ~30year old just paying off her college debt, yeeehaa'

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, any of you all have strong opinions on Morellino?
Not STRONG ones. In general: tasty, reliable, easy going, not the most complex or age worthy, less likely than Chianti to be too austere but also - especially in recent years - more likely to be slightly bloated. Guessing that climate change is not doing them any favors. It used to be that they were often great values. Seems like lately the prices have been a little bloated too. What they're not: Mini Sassacaias.

JCF

Out on the slopes
Skier
I read it as 'the tannins have *not* softened even though it's not a Premier Cru'

Kinky me read it as 'Dayum, it was like dating a hot, baby-fat ~30year old just paying off her college debt, yeeehaa'

Nailed it again. I'm glad you're here to translate my posts for the rest :beercheer:

And though I may not have put it exactly that way - yeah on the second comment too.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
21 Years ago, the grapes that go into this wine were being harvested.

21 years ago, Mendieta Jr was coming out to this world. After crying as terrified as every baby coming out to the unknown, my voice brought him immediately back to safety and he was calm in my arms.

Today we popped open this bottle. Really, really good. Deep, spicy, so alive for being 21 years of age. I mean, it is mature but OMG, it tastes strong and vibrant as a 6 years old wine. It can probably go another 20 years (I have one more bottle). Even the color doesn't match its age. It's not turning the typical brownish red, which I like in older reds, but this is just not there yet. It's a deep, thick, big cab. Some acidity started to develop as it got more air, but it's strong cab fruit, strong tannin, the right amount of oak. And again, plenty of spice. Proper companion to a massive rack of short ribs, grilled over charcoals for two and a half hours at low heat.

It's a good day. Happy Birthday to the big boy, some of you actually skied with him :hug:

1688001604328.png

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Awesome @Mendieta !

I’m starting to think about what 2023s I want to put down for 18 & 21 years for this same purpose!

Definitely wines with a thick backbone. Tempranillo (a good Rioja), Cab Sauvignon (Cali, Bordeaux), Sangiovese (Brunello) ... you don't wanna get to that point and open a dead wine :roflmao:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I'm hoping to do a half case for the kiddo. We'll buy doubles of everything, but probably dip into them at special parenting moments earlier in their life to see how they are getting on with age. Champagne, riesling (or chenin), Bordeaux, Barolo, Rioja, and something dessert-y -- Sauternes, Port or Maderia.

Some classic agers. Some inflicting my tastes (Chenin and Barolo) on the little punk.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
There we go.

But... maybe I'm being stupid here... how does an individual go about laying down fresh ruby port in the modern day and age?

Isn't it like all warehoused by the fincas for X years then released?
My choice would be an LBV. But I've always been odd in that respect.

Sponsor