• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've become really sensitive to food with wine lately. (I've always refused to start dessert before the wine is gone, but its gottenn worse.)

The first taste -- amazing!
After a few bites of bread with onions on top caramalized to the point of sweetness -- wine tastes off. A bit of sweetness in the blue cheese dressing on the salad -- wine tastes bad.

A lot of water and several bites of lamb ... ah, there's that wine again.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've become really sensitive to food with wine lately. (I've always refused to start dessert before the wine is gone, but its gottenn worse.)

The first taste -- amazing!
After a few bites of bread with onions on top caramalized to the point of sweetness -- wine tastes off. A bit of sweetness in the blue cheese dressing on the salad -- wine tastes bad.

A lot of water and several bites of lamb ... ah, there's that wine again.
I've always been like this. Usually there is one thing on your plate the wine mates well with. And the other things are either neutral or bad.

Like last night I had grilled goat and chicken, baguette, salad, and roasted fava beans. With Convene Sonoma Coast Pinot. The goat and chicken were great w/ the wine. The salad bad. Everything else neutral.

So I have a bite of goat or chicken, sip of wine, bite of salad, bite of baguette or beans. Then repeat. I always try to sandwich the "bad pairing" in between good or neutral. And I've been known to make the last few bites of the good pairing go on forever in order to finish my wine.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
(I've always refused to start dessert before the wine is gone, but its gottenn worse.)
This is why there is a cheese course.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Usually there is one thing on your plate the wine mates well with. And the other things are either neutral or bad.
The annoying thing is that it is not just "doesn't go with" but that the food has a persistent effect that is very hard to reset.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I actually clicked on that link. And ... SMH

*shrug* in a world where Starbucks foam olive oil for on coffee, where Brassicaceae are called 'salad' and where sugar is automatic in savory dishes, I make no apologies for linking to ultrasonic homogenizers. If an oil/alcohol/water system can't flush a taste from your tongue, nothing can.

I kind of expected you to pick up on the thread I left dangling - old school wines do well when served with old school menus. Or go new school, use the homogenizer and make an olive oil sorbet already.

*shrug* historically proven principle of fighting fire with... nuclear weapons. Also points up the fact that you never specified what is on the cheese plate.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The annoying thing is that it is not just "doesn't go with" but that the food has a persistent effect that is very hard to reset.
Have you had covid? I've had it twice and haven't experienced any significant disruptions to taste. But I know plenty who have.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Have you had covid? I've had it twice and haven't experienced any significant disruptions to taste. But I know plenty who have.
Huh. Yeah, I did. I didn't notice any obvious effect, but maybe it's a secondary effect.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh, guessing you also mean 'lingering' or 'persistent'. 'Coz during the bout, I expect few of us want a drink of anything worth calling wine.

Honestly I just thought you were talking about sugar balance perception, and how unpredictable that can be.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Oh, guessing you also mean 'lingering' or 'persistent'. 'Coz during the bout, I expect few of us want a drink of anything worth calling wine.

Honestly I just thought you were talking about sugar balance perception, and how unpredictable that can be.
I remember having a discussion with a sommelier at a good restaurant in Mexico City. I ordered a riesling for a table where I was by far the most knowledgeable. Don't remember what we paired it with. But I asked the sommelier "Is this riesling dry". "Yes, it is dry and the only dry one on the list." Opened the bottle. I tasted it. "This must have at least a gram per liter of RS". "Yes. 1.5 g/l in fact. I consider anything with less than 5 grams/liter to be dry".

Ugh. Context matters. In Mexico "sweet" drinks are ubiquitous. A riesling I found too sweet for the dish was "very dry" to the sommelier.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Huh. Yeah, I did. I didn't notice any obvious effect, but maybe it's a secondary effect.

I don't think it's possible to predict how Covid will affect the senses. If you could you'd be a regular Nostrildamus.

Sponsor

Staff online