• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Happy 20th Birthday to these beauties !
2002 HD XLH1200 (Mine)
2002 HD 883R (Wife's)
They still look new. I’ve been pretty adamant about keeping them maintained over the years.
20220811_152520.jpg

20180827_144227.jpg

My daughter just acquired an Apollo RX250 dirt bike. It’s cheap and needs worked on a ton but man is it fun! Reminds of the mid 80’s when I used to ride a Honda Trials 125 and Honda CR250. Now my off road juices are flowing again! I’m considering getting a used Kawasaki XLX 230 or Yamaha TTR-230 to putz around on. Like I need another scooter in the garage!

20220721_173518.jpg

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Son bought this today. His first bike. He's very happy; dad not so much. View attachment 175329
Trident 660? Wouldn't be my recommendation for a 1st motorcycle. If it's any consolation, it could have been much worse. I hope he took/takes a safety course.
Do you live in the countryside or in the City?

Does an in-line tripple give that same feeling as an in-line 4? I missed that feeling when I got my V4, after learning on my brothers (very) old CB750 race bike with lights.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Trident 660? Wouldn't be my recommendation for a 1st motorcycle. If it's any consolation, it could have been much worse. I hope he took/takes a safety course.

Does an in-line tripple give that same feeling as an in-line 4? I missed that feeling when I got my V4, after learning on my brothers (very) old CB750 race bike with lights.
Yea, was thinking that as soon as it got delivered. Went on the Triumph site, and realized indeed it could have been a lot worse.
My knowledge of motorcycles is the polar opposite of my knowledge of cars - meaning I know nothing.
We're well outside any city, fortunately.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier

Triple is a bit more torque. And it sounds more like a bumblebee than a mosquito.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for the replies. I still trying to understand, with the limited and dated background that I have.
@scott43 Great description on the sound. I wonder if you could explain the torque a little more (I'm an engineer).

I had an '84 750 Interceptor. At the time folks were raving about its "low end torque". The fact that it had torque at the end of the Tachometer that I only ever used when starting off in first gear did almost nothing for me. I missed the "hit" my learner cycle had when the cams and the HRC headers and the well-tuned Lektron carbs all lined up in that narrow rpm range when you opened it up in 3rd and 4th gear, just before redline. The old hopped-up bike did a much better job of pulling my arms out of their sockets and tiring out my grip strength (full throttle in 1st or second was guaranteed to flip the bike over, so I never did that).

I see things have improved over the last 38 years. the 660 Trident has a smidgen more torque 47 foot pounds (versus 46 for my Interceptor) and only 6 HP less than my old 750 Interceptor (which officially had 86 HP), despite being down on displacement by 90 cubic centimeters. However, if compared to modern 750, for example Suzuki's GSX-R750, which officially has 64 lb feet of peak torque. Even if you multiply the Trident's peak torque by 750/660 to somewhat account for the displacement you only get 53 lb feet.

When you say more torque, do you mean a wider spread of torque at lower rpms (53<64) ? Or do you mean a 750 triple would have a higher peak torque than the in-line 4 Suzuki?

Thanks again for the education.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Son bought this today. His first bike. He's very happy; dad not so much. View attachment 175329

Yeah, very happy that neither of my kids showed the slightest interest in motorcycles.

In terms of 1st bike... reckon the worst ever 1st bikes were the smaller capacity (250/350) Japanese bikes put out by Yamaha and Suzuki in the early to mid '80s. The engines on those things was very much modelled on the 2 stroke racing bikes of the '70s - like the Yamaha TZ250/350. Nothing happened below 6000rpm - couldn't even get 'em away from the lights without a fistful of revs - and the power band, about 3000rpm wide, came and went in an instant.

Sold a large road bike (Yamaha XS1100) in about 1984 but a few months later thought I'd get back in to bikes. The smaller bikes were tempting from a fun perspective but a single test ride was enough to dispel that notion. Whereas the early '70s Japanese smaller bikes (in my case a Suzuki T350R) were quite street pliable the models 10-12 years later were lethal weapons in the wrong hands. Recall coming out of one corner, still healed over and having a really exciting instant when the front wheel went skyward on opening the throttle.

No idea how anyone was supposed to learn on those things.

Sanity prevailed and ended up buying a Kawasaki GPZ900, the 1st of the liquid cooled 4s from that manufacturer. Pretty quick in its day but much more of a street friendly machine.

scott43

Skier
Thanks for the replies. I still trying to understand, with the limited and dated background that I have.
@scott43 Great description on the sound. I wonder if you could explain the torque a little more (I'm an engineer).

I had an '84 750 Interceptor. At the time folks were raving about its "low end torque". The fact that it had torque at the end of the Tachometer that I only ever used when starting off in first gear did almost nothing for me. I missed the "hit" my learner cycle had when the cams and the HRC headers and the well-tuned Lektron carbs all lined up in that narrow rpm range when you opened it up in 3rd and 4th gear, just before redline. The old hopped-up bike did a much better job of pulling my arms out of their sockets and tiring out my grip strength (full throttle in 1st or second was guaranteed to flip the bike over, so I never did that).

I see things have improved over the last 38 years. the 660 Trident has a smidgen more torque 47 foot pounds (versus 46 for my Interceptor) and only 6 HP less than my old 750 Interceptor (which officially had 86 HP), despite being down on displacement by 90 cubic centimeters. However, if compared to modern 750, for example Suzuki's GSX-R750, which officially has 64 lb feet of peak torque. Even if you multiply the Trident's peak torque by 750/660 to somewhat account for the displacement you only get 53 lb feet.

When you say more torque, do you mean a wider spread of torque at lower rpms (53<64) ? Or do you mean a 750 triple would have a higher peak torque than the in-line 4 Suzuki?

Thanks again for the education.
Yeah peak torque is not the measure really. It's more accessible torque at lower rpm compared to a 600 or the 636. The stroke is longer than your typical 600 as well. So I think of it as a kinda cheater stroked 600. Your typical 600 can't pull the skin off of rice pudding below 8k rpm. Riding with a passenger on the highway is enlightening and requires the very real possibility of two down shifts to get moving. The 660 OTOH has more torque available at typical engine speeds for things such as this. It was ultimately the reason why if I were to buy again I'd go litre bike in the supersport class. Very little weight penalty for much better power.

660 torque curve
1660536628150.png

R6 torque curve
1660536579568.png

For fun, litre bikes..
1660536991912.png

Last edited:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Thanks for explaining and for confirming my gut feeling that I would regret not getting an in-line 4.
More cool graphs:
1660562743799.png

1660562794226.png

Highway (mostly above 60 mph) and track days is what I'm looking at. No one is crazy enough to get on a bike with me. Looks like sufficient torque is never more than a double downshift (and rarely three shifts) away. I appreciate that the V-Twin race bikes or a Yamaha R1 might be easier to put the power down with, but I'm not racing anyone.

scott43

Skier
I mean, they're all stupid fast anyway. A 600 at the track is still insanely fast. And you can keep it boiling easier. One person makes it more rideable. But for a street bike with a passenger I'd more likely go 750 or 1000. My r6 at the track was always above 8k. Glorious.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Minor leg surgery delayed my trip. Itchy route same as mine in a week or two. Taos first for mountainbike rental then going same roads then back to Ouray passes. She is 4 months delayed from posting....her snow might be like snow I find September 1. LOL Going for it. 50 degree bag and 0 degree bag brought for camping. 2 month delayed and stoked to go. I lived in Lander, Wy in 1982 and managed Radio Shack store there so hope to get there, then Dubois and Jackson then South.

Last edited:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Minor leg surgery delayed my trip. Itchy route same as mine in a week or two. Taos first for mountainbike rental then going same roads then back to Ouray passes. She is 4 months delayed from posting....her snow might be like snow I find September 1. LOL Going for it. 50 degree bag and 0 degree bag brought for camping. 2 month delayed and stoked to go. I lived in Lander, Wy in 1982 and managed Radio Shack store there so hope to get there, then Dubois and Jackson then South.

@Snowfan , I was thinking about your delay and hope you get to and over all your planed 'passes'. September is firmly back in the 'snow anytime' window especially above 8k'.

What is your new expected departure day???

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
@Snowfan , I was thinking about your delay and hope you get to and over all your planed 'passes'. September is firmly back in the 'snow anytime' window especially above 8k'.

What is your new expected departure day???

Hi Bill... :thumb: I hope to leave in 3 days. Trip will be shorter. Can't get to Yellowstone due to time issues here at home. I will go to Taos, then Durango through rural routes and check weather then keep going until ice or snow shuts me down.

Matt Merritt

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, Snowfan, I'm hooked on Itchy Boots' travels. Might be up all night watching tonight. Can't wait to hear all about your great adventure. Maybe when you get back I can talk you into a Big Bend weekend before the snow flies. My own ride is a 2020 Ducati Hypermotard. Great fun and not a bad (on-pavement) adventure bike except that I start to sweat profusely when the trip odometer reads 95 miles with no gas station in sight...

Bike in attached pic isn't mine - mine is in a non-photogenic corner of the garage at the moment - but the main difference is that mine has a a small windscreen that prevents my helmet's face shield from pressing against my nose above 95 mph...

WGEMGRMZXJBKVAK4ZVHVZ73NZE-1791462788.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online