• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Motorcycle Lovers Thread

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I raced motocross from 1993 until around 2007 and then switched to hare scrambles for a few years. My daughter got into Bmx racing for a couple of years so we took some time off from riding dirt bikes. She switched to motocross and we started riding again. I didn't race much while she was, too hard to keep up with her bikes and everything involved. She became quite a good rider until she tore her ACL and I made her lay off of it. I have had many injuries and didn't want to see her go through the same.

Never thought I would be as passionate about anything besides Moto until I discovered skiing. So I haven't rode much in a couple of years but I am picking up a Gas Gas EX300 next week and will do some casual trail riding again, no racing (for now anyway).

Some of the bikes I've owned:
1992 RM250
1994 CR125
1996 CR125
1997 YZ125
1997 KX250
1999 KX125
2000 KX250
2002 KX250
2003 KX250
2004 CRF450
2006 KXF450
2002CR250
2007 KTM300
2008 RM250 (slightly modified for hare scrambles)
(2) 2009 RMZ450
2013 KTM300
2012 YZ125 (my daughters we currently still have)

It brings back a lot of great memories putting that list together, I think there may be a few missing. The list of kids bikes is probably almost as long, it's amazing I have any money left. Good times for sure though.

The 2008 RM250, one of my favorites:
2008 RM250 002.jpg

Proud Dad moment here, one of my favorite pictures of my daughter (wish the picture quality was better), she has such great form on a bike:
tempImageNMRUHK.png

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw some fun bikes/trikes in Bethany Beach, DE a couple days ago, believe they are in the area this week for Ocean City, MD BIKEFEST 2021:
motorcycles.jpg

Last edited:

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is me at Mosport..Turn 1. The funny thing is, it looks faster than it really is...I mean, it's still 120kmh...but it's more like a 140kmh corner. This was my second session on that track and it has high consequences for running off!! :ogbiggrin:

View attachment 142517

That's a great shot. I do have some road riding experience too, but never got around to doing a track day.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That’s cool as hell right there!
Yeah I loved that bike. Redlined at 16k rpm. Smooth. Suspension was great up to almost race speeds. Still good on the street. Was actually pretty comfortable to ride. And God Almighty it was still pulling hard at 240kmh on the back straight and making the best howling noises you can imagine before I had to shut it down for turn 8. 600cc. Amazing.

Having said that I was looking at an Iron 883 last week... :ogbiggrin:

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
I opened a motorcycle rental business that catered primarily to Summit and Pitkin counties in Colorado. All my bikes were customized Harleys. I ended up closing it because too many guys who said they could ride a Big Twin actually had expeience on a dirt bike when they were 12 years old. I got tired of visiting my clients in the hospital and my insurance rates were insane.
I am currently riding an absolute cherry 1995 Softail Custom with six thousand miles on it.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I opened a motorcycle rental business that catered primarily to Summit and Pitkin counties in Colorado. All my bikes were customized Harleys. I ended up closing it because too many guys who said they could ride a Big Twin actually had expeience on a dirt bike when they were 12 years old. I got tired of visiting my clients in the hospital and my insurance rates were insane.
I am currently riding an absolute cherry 1995 Softail Custom with six thousand miles on it.
My understanding is that the motorcycle rental business is huge at the resort areas. I know the Harley dealership in Orlando does a huge rental business. Anytime I see somebody renting though I always wonder what their experience level is at handling a bike. Of course when I stand at the car rental counter at the Orlando airport, or anywhere else for that matter, I wonder about the driving experience of the people renting.

I would love to ride the roads around Summit and Eagle counties in Colorado, but you won’t catch me on a bike in the Orlando area given the traffic and the amount of out-of-town visitors who have no idea where they are going. There’s a limit to my craziness.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks. The one finger on the clutch was great too, don't think I even taught her that.
I noticed that. I place that exact finger on the clutch when I ride. I’ve done it since I was a kid.

She looks great btw. You have good reason to be proud.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Tom K. Thanks for starting this thread! (Pics off net...can't find my pics)

1st bike Honda SL 70---not as good as XR75 and rode with my brother who's bike was built by Ron Stockman motocross legend bud with Brad Lackey.
2nd Kawasaki S2 350 2 stroke triple. In high school rode illegal with no license and 0 tickets. :) Fast as snot but could not keep up with RD350's.
3rdish...My Dad's rare dual sport new Harley Davidson sx175. I blew up his engine on interstate and feel awful not fixing simple seize.
4th Kawasaki LTD 1000
5th Kawasaki KZ 1300 Water cooled 6 cylinder. I hit a rabbit at 120mph with only a tap on handlebars. What a great cruiser.
6th Yamaha YZ250
^^^
36 years with no bike. :(

7th 2 years ago bought neighbors 2000 Electra Glide 130K miler upgraded from 88inch to 95. WONDERFUL Potato Potato Potato Python pipes. 2 wheel love restored.
8th A few weeks ago bought 2020 650 V-Strom after much research. 790 mile great owner deal for 8800. With top bag and taller GIVI windshield.

Future dream.... Tenere 700 like Tom, 2 TW200's to ride black bear pass with buddies and/or wife. I gifted wife with Spyder MSF school and she loved it....Spyder lady coming. GoldWing. I live in Texas panhandle. 1/2 mile dirt driveway, 1/2 mile dirt road....then 75mph ranch roads....That's why I got the 70/30 Street/dirt Suzi. TOTALLY stoked driving water cooled v-twin with traction control off. Low end rpm nuclear blastfun.
View attachment 142389
I really like the V-Strom series. I’ve always loved Suzuki bikes in the dirt.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
My understanding is that the motorcycle rental business is huge at the resort areas. I know the Harley dealership in Orlando does a huge rental business. Anytime I see somebody renting though I always wonder what their experience level is at handling a bike. Of course when I stand at the car rental counter at the Orlando airport, or anywhere else for that matter, I wonder about the driving experience of the people renting.

I would love to ride the roads around Summit and Eagle counties in Colorado, but you won’t catch me on a bike in the Orlando area given the traffic and the amount of out-of-town visitors who have no idea where they are going. There’s a limit to my craziness.

The Harley dealerships around Denver could care less if you know how to ride a Big Twin or not. As far as they are concerned, if you have a motorcycle endorsment on your drivers license, your're good to go. My take on that was different. I thought that if I don't vet and test these people to my standards, I felt resposible if they crashed. I lost a lot of money by sending people to Eagle Rider. I'll never forget a guy that wanted to rent one of my bikes. I delivered the bike to his house (that was a service that we provided) and the guy couldn't get it out of his driveway! Then he couldn't understand why I wouldn't rent to him. Crazy...

Woodsrider427

Getting on the lift
Skier
I noticed that. I place that exact finger on the clutch when I ride. I’ve done it since I was a kid.

She looks great btw. You have good reason to be proud.
Thanks so much!! Many proud moments for sure. One more proud Dad photo to share, her getting some pointers from the GOAT. She was 1 of 12 85cc riders to get invited to a Suzuki sponsored camp at his farm.
IMG_0203.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online