• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain Biking 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Riding the AQI of 185 wan't my plan or intent. It got worse as I went, unfortunately. The day before it had been sub-30. :-(

I hear you - I was going to head out in the morning and got caught up romancing an extra cup of coffee. It was bad by the time I got my act together so it was a bit of a stroke of luck, came in like...wildfire :(.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The forecast is soooo good going into the weekend. Gonna hit Little Scraggy when (If) it clears.

I would but Im gonna need a new bike. This was yesterday:

Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 10.40.13 AM.png

:nono:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ :roflmao: we must have just missed you.
GT was one our favorite mb rides of the season, great trails for all abilities.

View attachment 109763

No way! Did you camp up there? We did. Always kind of a noisy zoo but it's so nice being right on the mountain. Part of our group went for a night ride into Rick's Basin on Saturday night, but I opted out because I was pooped. Anyway, that is my absolute favorite place to ride. I had forgotten how much fun Action Jackson is as I hadn't ridden it in two years. Targhee's trails are so well designed and maintained. Was that your first time there, and if so, did you find some favorites? (I also love Quakie Ridge and Perma Grin.)
I would but Im gonna need a new bike. This was yesterday:

View attachment 109772

:nono:
Oh, THAT sucks! Was that your garage? Bike theft is more rampant than ever this year. A friend who lives nearby had a brand new bike stolen out of their garage--it turned up at a local pawn shop, and the owner of the shop did the right thing and called the police.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@AmyPJ - it was our first time biking GT and amazed just how many bikers and sprinter vans filled the parking area. We rode all around the XC area, non lift serviced trails.

We were planning a lift service mountain day but Erica took a nasty Superman fall the day before on palisade creek trail, near swan valley, it included pulling a tree limb piece from her calf.
Swan valley had great, quiet camping right on the snake river

EC3FFCB1-0249-4FA1-9758-F0CD0F938F43.jpeg

snake river

B629B01D-8954-4DD3-9B8E-379346818593.jpeg

1/2 way up the PC trail, before the crash.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ - it was our first time biking GT and amazed just how many bikers and sprinter vans filled the parking area. We rode all around the XC area, non lift serviced trails.

We were planning a lift service mountain day but Erica took a nasty Superman fall the day before on palisade creek trail, near swan valley, it included pulling a tree limb piece from her calf.
Swan valley had great, quiet camping right on the snake river

View attachment 109783
snake river

View attachment 109782
1/2 way up the PC trail, before the crash.
Swan Valley is gorgeous. We often drive that way even though it adds to our drive. I was not aware of trails there. Might have to check them out! Hope your wife is OK.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
She’s good and one tuff girl, thank you.
She actually rode the next day and did some SUP the following day.

You may want to hike that trail first or bring a lock to stop riding when you see fit, it wasn’t at all as described.
Beautiful doesn’t do the Swan Valley justice, even funnier was when we got home to BS we found out our next door neighbors floated by our camp site while we were out riding

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Wait is that the Amazon Prime guy returning your bike to his house on your security camera?

Damn. Sorry to hear/see it.

Il be ready to ride in a few days. Getting new bike tomorrow. It wasnt that easy to source an XL Hightower in stock in Colorado that wasnt one of the higher end builds. Hopefully they find the old one so I get the deductible back which was pretty high, but im not counting on it. :nono:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was going to suggest wet weather tires for the fall but the fat bike should take care of that.

Nice trail and birch trees
Not sure if it was laziness or efficiency, I never took the studded tires off the fatty from last year. Really gotta wait till the dirt is fully covered in snow and ice before I let those tires touch the ground again, Studded 45nrth Dillinger 5's are spendy.

I do want better tires for my Top Fuel.. but I told myself that I needed to get better at mountain biking before I spend more money on the bike beyond what it already cost. Basically would like at least get to a point where I can appreciate the difference in the gear I'm using on this bike. I think I'm now there but we are just about out of season to warrant the cost until next spring. Thinking either the XR4 would be a good all around more aggressive tire for this bike.

It should stop raining later this week and my riding friends are planning on a ride for Friday after work, hopefully it's sunny and I can snag some more fall leaf pictures. I love this time of year in Alaska, it's absolutely stunning.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I do want better tires for my Top Fuel.....Thinking either the XR4 would be a good all around more aggressive tire for this bike.

IME, the XR4 is exactly the tire that should replace your stock XR3s once things get damp-to-wet.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Erik Timmerman We are nearly at the Fall Equinox 12hr day 12hr night.. losing just about 7 minutes of day light every day now. I started packing my lights about 2 weeks ago just in case, I may need them depending on how late we ride this Friday. Sunset will be at 8:29 and we usually don't get fully started riding before 7pm, may get a weee bit dark on the way back to the cars especially since the trails are on an east facing hillside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online