• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need New Rear Wheel/hub

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Good luck finding the correct Bontrager freehub, especially with today's supply issues.
We had a Bontrager freehub repaired on my wife's bike. Had similar issues. Turns out they are pretty easy to service and you replace the pawls and springs. So while finding a Bontrager branded freehub may be a challenge, finding the parts to repair one are likely much easier

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Crank are you mech savvy?

Did the bike shop pull it apart and look at it?

Freehubs are pretty simple to pull apart, grease up and put back together if you have the right tools.

Are you sure its a pawl based hub and not a star rachet? I know Bontrager uses DT Swiss internals or at least a similar rachet system and these have a tendency to free spin in both directions if the spring wears out or if the freehub isn't pressed all the way down on the hub.

You can get a decent wheel on ebay or new for $300. Just make sure it matches what you have now, through axle or quick release. I believe the rear axle should be 135mm wide. If you can't or are unwilling to swap out your rear wheel, move the disc over and remount the rear wheel and center up your Calipers just pay the shop and get it done. It's about an hours work. 70 seems high but if they warranty it and you can bring it back for any reason it's worth paying if you don't have the time/tools to fix it yourself.
I am somewhat handy but am a sucky bike mechanic.

I have not idea wha is inside the hub - only that it isn't working.

Haven't heard back from shop... brought it in last Tuesday. They were/are supposed to contact me when they source parts.

Called another, bigger shop near where I used to live and couldn't even get anyone to answer the phone. I guess it's a busy time for them what with Christmas and all.

I was hoping to get it back in time to bring up to VT when we go day after Christmas until 1/2. I figure the skiing might not be so great. Looks like if I want to ride I may have to rent.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Nothing as of yet. My bike is still at the LBS just down the street. I stopped in on Sunday and they said they still haven't found a wheel?

I am thinking about rescuing it from there and bringing it elsewhere. It's been a month now and I have heard nothing from them.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean..if it's legit parts shortages..what can you do. I'm still sure you could find a freehub that would work... Specific wheel may be harder..

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I mean..if it's legit parts shortages..what can you do. I'm still sure you could find a freehub that would work... Specific wheel may be harder..
That's the thing. The wheel ain't that bad. I'm going to ask around a few shops I've used before. My old LBS is now about 35 minutes away but I would go there if they can take care of my bike.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid