• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skis for Ice Coast Frontside

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Hi all!

I need to purchase a new pair of skis after 13 years skiing on my current pair a few times per year. I'm so lost and I'm also having a hard time finding a place to demo any. I live in metro-NYC area and typically travel to Catskills, western MA, VT, or NH to ski. I've been skiing since I was 2 years old but I typically don't do the level of skiing that I'm capable of these days, because I'm hauling my kids around on the greens and blues.

That being said, my current skis are a pair of 2009 Atomic Heaven's Gate, which are higher-end carvers. They've always served me well - tight turns, snappy, fun on groomers and carvers - with the drawbacks being that they take crud and bumps hard and sometimes I feel like they don't hold on ice very well. They have a 78mm waist, but I feel like all the recommendations I'm finding for "all mountain" or even "frontside" are ranging in the 80-90mm range these days, which I've never skied on. The more I read, the more it seems like a narrower ski is better for where I'm typically skiing. The Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and the Nordica Santa Ana 88 come up repeatedly as some of the best recommendations, but they seem so much wider than what I'm used to. I'm hoping to demo one of those pairs this weekend, but we'll see.

For reference, I'm female, 5'-7", 195 lbs (trying to get that number down!), 44 years old. I'm typically skiing blues with my kids, but I still like the blacks when the conditions are good! I would categorize myself as advanced/expert on the east coast, but I don't usually push myself to "expert" anymore (probably just "advanced" by west coast standards, since I don't really have much experience out there). I prefer turns and carving over speed. Looking for some advice and model recommendations? Would like to keep the skis $650 or less (not including bindings). Bonus points if they're pretty! Particularly curious about whether the Blizzard Black Pearl 82 or the Nordica Santa Ana 84 (or Wild Belle 84) would be better options than either of the 88s.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am 63, lighter and shorter on 159s which are prob still too short, but I like bumps and trees. I went from straight Olin women's ski (can't remember name of model, prob in 70s underfoot) to a 74 shaped, then 84 wild belle (older version). I'm now on BP88, ski the NE, and favor turning over speed. Current Wild Belle is not for an advanced skier; I'm guessing you would not get the performance you expect or that your carver had. Do not fear the 88 underfoot of SA or BP; they're great frontside which is why they are so popular in the East! And they take crud and bumps well. As an advanced skier you will adapt to it without noticing it. I think SA is prettier than BP, but I liked how the BP 20/21 version skied better. I believe SA and BP88s "traded places" couple years ago with the BPs becoming the more directional ski, whatever that means.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
I am 63, lighter and shorter on 159s which are prob still too short, but I like bumps and trees. I went from straight Olin women's ski (can't remember name of model, prob in 70s underfoot) to a 74 shaped, then 84 wild belle (older version). I'm now on BP88, ski the NE, and favor turning over speed. Current Wild Belle is not for an advanced skier; I'm guessing you would not get the performance you expect or that your carver had. Do not fear the 88 underfoot of SA or BP; they're great frontside which is why they are so popular in the East! And they take crud and bumps well. As an advanced skier you will adapt to it without noticing it. I think SA is prettier than BP, but I liked how the BP 20/21 version skied better. I believe SA and BP88s "traded places" couple years ago with the BPs becoming the more directional ski, whatever that means.
Thanks @DebbieSue! This is super helpful. My current skis are 159s and I sometimes I think I should go to a mid-160, but I like the maneuverability of a shorter ski, especially on the narrow, crowded east coast trails. I find myself needing to make quick turns more frequently than I need speed.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'm about your size and my favorite skis are 82 underfoot. 170cm, tho. They have a tight turning radius so it's never occurred to me to go shorter. My wider (99) skis are tiring if I bring them out for a powder day and then find no powder. And that's in spite of the fact they are lighter. It just takes more to get them up on edge and on groomers you want that edge.

photo_1567447618856.jpg
photo_1567444658843.jpg

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Head SuperShape series, or V series. At 195LB, anything shorter than 170 will be noodles unless you are talking about race oriented skis.

Last edited:
TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
I'm about your size and my favorite skis are 82 underfoot. 170cm, tho. They have a tight turning radius so it's never occurred to me to go shorter. My wider (99) skis are tiring if I bring them out for a powder day and then find no powder. And that's in spite of the fact they are lighter. It just takes more to get them up on edge and on groomers you want that edge.

View attachment 188609 View attachment 188610
These graphics are great! Thanks for the feedback. What skis are your 82s?

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Head SuperShape series, or V series. At 195LB, anything shorter than 170 will be noodles unless you are talking about race oriented skis.
Thanks, I'll look into those. I've been skiing on 159s for 13 years and they've never felt like noodles, but I'm also not a high speed skier. I did buy them when I was probably 25-30 lbs lighter than I am now, though. I'm only 5'-7", and while I know height doesn't control everything, I feel like 170s would be too long for me (I'm also actively trying to lose weight, so hoping not to stay at 195 lbs).

tomahawkins

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lusti PC77s have a great write up on Ski Talk. Any reason to go with the 71 over 77? 77 is closer to what I have now (78).
As I haven't skied any Lustis, I'm probably unqualified to say, other than going from 71 to 77 isn't going to provide much more versatility: a 77 will sink in powder almost as fast as a 71, so why not get the one with higher edge grip for you're east coast ice? I was going to recommend the Blossom Numero Uno RC and XC, which I have been skiing this season all over the mountain and like a lot, but they are just outside your price window. I trust SkiTalk and @Premier Skis, so I figured the Lusti PCs could be the next best thing.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
I'll look into these! Thanks!

As I haven't skied any Lustis, I'm probably unqualified to say, other than going from 71 to 77 isn't going to provide much more versatility: a 77 will sink in powder almost as fast as a 71, so why not get the one with higher edge grip for you're east coast ice? I was going to recommend the Blossom Numero Uno RC and XC, which I have been skiing this season all over the mountain and like a lot, but they are just outside your price window. I trust SkiTalk and @Premier Skis, so I figured the Lusti PCs could be the next best thing.
Yeah, the Blossoms look pretty amazing, and the difference beyond my price range isn't that substantial. I'll throw them into the mix as well. Maybe I'll ask on the review for the Lusti PC77 about the difference to expect with the PC71. Thanks!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
An easy recommendation for an eastern frontside ski is the Head Rally. Immensely popular for many years for good reason. Read the review here for the current version on SkiTalk.

Last edited:
TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
An easy recommendation for an eastern frontside ski is the Head Rally. Immensely popular for many years for good reason. Read the review here for the current version on SkiTalk.
These look really nice, but are out of my price range.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
The head rally is a great ski. I used to own it. Much of it is personal preference. I have slaloms skis but find myself more on my 80 to 90 underfoot skis. I ski southern Vermont mostly. I'm not keen on recommending skis but I'll tell you what I have in this range, if anything just to give your some names to add to your search list.

Blizzard Brahma 82
Stockli Stormrider 83
Stockli Stormrider 85 motion
2015 Volkl Kenja/Kendo
Volkl Kenja 88
Meier Quickdraw
Renoun Z90

I'm a deal hunter and keep skis in a few different places so if you are willing to go a little used you have a lot of options.

Another great ski is the Stockli Laser AX.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Hi, I LOVED My Heaven's Gates!! (they are still out in the garage (3 pair) I stayed with the series when they brought it back as the Cloud Series. I did have Cloud 11's they are just like Heaven's gates, I am now loving my Liberty 76w's they carve and are playful I've skied them on frozen firm corduroy that turned into piles of soft corn. If you can wait, My home mt Royal Mt In Caroga Lake NY has a free demo Day Feb 23rd, many brands there. 3.-3.5hr N of NYC
The BP's some like some hate- I did not like the 2023 model was stiff and not fun I tried last yr demo day. I did like older models of BP's 2019's were fun. and I have a 2015 or 16 pair I only use for spring bump skiing- I can boss them around in the slush piles, I hate them on frozen cord- the tips flap.
Last yr demo day the surprise ski was the atomic Maven 86c- light, nimble, forgiving, carved very well. (it was a frozen granular day)and I still liked the Cloud highest # think it's a 13 or 14 now. (I demo them every yr -the lower #'s are more mellow) I've also been skiing Renoun z-90's since they came out. They are my 'buick's they go thru everything except over a foot of snow, they are great for old knees like mine, but as a carver getting that 90cm over vs my Liberty 76's on a week trip can be tiring. The stockli's are a dream ski, I tried just about every pair last yr demo day and the Laser CX 69 underfoot were a blast- the Montero is a hero ski- they are $$$$$ but OMG very nice skis. Thankfully when I got back on my Liberty's I still loved them, they do ski as well as Stockli . Several of my lady friends love their Rossi Experience 88's. For refernece I'm 65, lighter than you and 5'5 been skiing forever I've been on 156-165cm since 'short ski's came in vogue. Hope you can get on some demo's technology has come a long ways, and what one person loves another hates-- and how are your boots? if old get them first- marry your boots date your skis :) Welcome to skitalk too!

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
The head rally is a great ski. I used to own it. Much of it is personal preference. I have slaloms skis but find myself more on my 80 to 90 underfoot skis. I ski southern Vermont mostly. I'm not keen on recommending skis but I'll tell you what I have in this range, if anything just to give your some names to add to your search list.

Blizzard Brahma 82
Stockli Stormrider 83
Stockli Stormrider 85 motion
2015 Volkl Kenja/Kendo
Volkl Kenja 88
Meier Quickdraw
Renoun Z90

I'm a deal hunter and keep skis in a few different places so if you are willing to go a little used you have a lot of options.

Another great ski is the Stockli Laser AX.
Thank you for the recommendations! The Stockli Laser AX looks amazing, but I'd have to search for those used - sounds like they were rebranded this year (I think as Montero?) and they're out of my price range new.

TS
L

laurelerin22

Booting up
Skier
Make sure you are comparing apples and apples. The Head Rally comes with bindings.
True. I was hoping to keep the skis+bindings under $1000, but realizing that might not be possible with some of the skis I'm looking at, especially if I'm purchasing mid-season when nothing is on sale.

Sponsor

Staff online