• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica HF

individualist

Booting up
Skier
Well, I've largely finished my first season in the HF120 Pros. I skied about 200K vertical this season - 65K at Deer Valley and the rest at my home resort in W. MD where I'm a Mtn Host. As I said in an earlier post, I had a bit of issue getting centered over my boots and feeling a bit too much in the backseat which was mitigated to a degree by inserting the spoilers and adjusting them a bit. Toward the end of the season I felt as if the liners were packing down a bit resulting in some adjustment of the main buckle. I don't favor much pressure from the forward buckle - for me it tends to lead to reduced blood flow to my feet, making my feet cold or in the worst case tingly. Even in 4 buckle boots I always tightened the forward buckles only enough to stay closed.
Throughout the season I continued to feel a bit too far back. I did not go to a good boot fitter when I bought these boots. I got them from the equivalent of a "big box" store for ski equipment because they were not available from a shop with good boot fitters - there really aren't any really good boot fitters that I've found in the Washington DC area. Only one actually, and they seem to suffer from the "we know what you need so just sit down and we'll tell you about it" syndrome. Out in Park City I had the opportunity to visit a boot fitter, but the timing wasn't optimal on a short ski trip.
I'm beginning to think that moving my custom foot beds from my last pair of Nordica boots (Gran Sport rear entry) to these may not have been the best choice. I'm thinking that I'm going to need a bit of heel lift in addition to the spoilers, or perhaps in lieu of the spoilers to get me positioned a bit more forward. I'll have to figure out how to get to a pro boot fitter and make the necessary adjustments. It may also reflect the difference between an 80 flex and a 120 - I may be unaccustomed to putting more forward pressure on the boot.
That said, I've had no issues with the comfort of these boots. Very comfortable. Warm enough, and easy to walk with the Grip Walk soles. Good all day without any readjustment or loosening up at break time. Getting in and out isn't an issue for me - I don't have any problems that would cause that. I bought these boots for the comfort, not for the ease of entry. I had the previous Gran Sports fit for me after a heel fracture and I needed the ease of entry, but that's not a factor anymore. Those boots sold me on the comfort of rear entry and the HF120s didn't disappoint.
I'm skiing Rossignol Black Ops Escapers with Look Pivot bindings. I have to say that the Pivots are a bit less easy to enter, particularly on steep and deep conditions. I sometimes have to take off my skis to assist a fallen skier and there have been a time or two that getting back onto my skis has been problematic. I've found that I need to make sure the heel is properly rotated to a centered position to engage properly. Beyond that the Pivot is a marvelous binding. I think this season I only had 2 releases that were "uncommanded" - one was a 40mph spill and only the left ski came off. Remarkably forgiving with a good bit of travel while still retaining the ski as far as I can tell. I suspect that my big spill this season would have been a yard sale on a different binding.
So at this juncture, after a season in the HF 120 Pro I'm well satisfied. With some tweaks and a bit more time I think these boots will continue to be two-thumbs up for me. My previous boots needed a couple of seasons to really come into their best, so I'm very happy. Looking forward to many seasons to come.

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading @Tom K. Post about next year's Nordica HF boots. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/nordica-hf-pro-boots.32879/#post-950845 I thought I post my review of the current 120 HF Pro boot.
IMG_1314.JPG

I purchased these in the fall before the ski season. I have a fairly high volume foot, short and thick. My previous Boots were Technica Cochise 120 followed by Dalbello Krypton Fusion 120. I am an aging, stop and smell the roses, skier but I still ski all the black and double black diamond runs. The reason I went to this boot is the ease of taking them off.
I like a reasonably stiff boot. My biggest concern with the Nordica HF pro 120 was whether it would be stiff enough, well it definitely is. Bombing groomers, pressuring the edge, making that must turn on a steep run, all good. It has a nice broad power strap. I usually need some punching to get a good fit but these fit with only a liner cook. I now have at least a half a dozen days in them. Comfort wise they are good. It does take some fiddling with the two buckles to get them dialed in, but once done I'm good for the day, though I do miss the multi micro adjustable buckles of my previous boots.

Bottom line: good purchase, would do it again

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After reading @Tom K. Post about next year's Nordica HF boots. https://www.skitalk.com/threads/nordica-hf-pro-boots.32879/#post-950845 I thought I post my review of the current 120 HF Pro boot.
View attachment 222743

I purchased these in the fall before the ski season. I have a fairly high volume foot, short and thick. My previous Boots were Technica Cochise 120 followed by Dalbello Krypton Fusion 120. I am an aging, stop and smell the roses, skier but I still ski all the black and double black diamond runs. The reason I went to this boot is the ease of taking them off.
I like a reasonably stiff boot. My biggest concern with the Nordica HF pro 120 was whether it would be stiff enough, well it definitely is. Bombing groomers, pressuring the edge, making that must turn on a steep run, all good. It has a nice broad power strap. I usually need some punching to get a good fit but these fit with only a liner cook. I now have at least a half a dozen days in them. Comfort wise they are good. It does take some fiddling with the two buckles to get them dialed in, but once done I'm good for the day, though I do miss the multi micro adjustable buckles of my previous boots.

Bottom line: good purchase, would do it again
On my second season now and am quite happy with these. I did replace the stock power strap with a Booster strap (it wraps very nicely between the tongue and outer shell on these boots) and feel better response. Have been spending most of my time on my new Blossom Numero Uno RCs and loving every moment! Next years version in 130 does look tempting!

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I've largely finished my first season in the HF120 Pros. I skied about 200K vertical this season - 65K at Deer Valley and the rest at my home resort in W. MD where I'm a Mtn Host. As I said in an earlier post, I had a bit of issue getting centered over my boots and feeling a bit too much in the backseat which was mitigated to a degree by inserting the spoilers and adjusting them a bit. Toward the end of the season I felt as if the liners were packing down a bit resulting in some adjustment of the main buckle. I don't favor much pressure from the forward buckle - for me it tends to lead to reduced blood flow to my feet, making my feet cold or in the worst case tingly. Even in 4 buckle boots I always tightened the forward buckles only enough to stay closed.
Throughout the season I continued to feel a bit too far back. I did not go to a good boot fitter when I bought these boots. I got them from the equivalent of a "big box" store for ski equipment because they were not available from a shop with good boot fitters - there really aren't any really good boot fitters that I've found in the Washington DC area. Only one actually, and they seem to suffer from the "we know what you need so just sit down and we'll tell you about it" syndrome. Out in Park City I had the opportunity to visit a boot fitter, but the timing wasn't optimal on a short ski trip.
I'm beginning to think that moving my custom foot beds from my last pair of Nordica boots (Gran Sport rear entry) to these may not have been the best choice. I'm thinking that I'm going to need a bit of heel lift in addition to the spoilers, or perhaps in lieu of the spoilers to get me positioned a bit more forward. I'll have to figure out how to get to a pro boot fitter and make the necessary adjustments. It may also reflect the difference between an 80 flex and a 120 - I may be unaccustomed to putting more forward pressure on the boot.
That said, I've had no issues with the comfort of these boots. Very comfortable. Warm enough, and easy to walk with the Grip Walk soles. Good all day without any readjustment or loosening up at break time. Getting in and out isn't an issue for me - I don't have any problems that would cause that. I bought these boots for the comfort, not for the ease of entry. I had the previous Gran Sports fit for me after a heel fracture and I needed the ease of entry, but that's not a factor anymore. Those boots sold me on the comfort of rear entry and the HF120s didn't disappoint.
I'm skiing Rossignol Black Ops Escapers with Look Pivot bindings. I have to say that the Pivots are a bit less easy to enter, particularly on steep and deep conditions. I sometimes have to take off my skis to assist a fallen skier and there have been a time or two that getting back onto my skis has been problematic. I've found that I need to make sure the heel is properly rotated to a centered position to engage properly. Beyond that the Pivot is a marvelous binding. I think this season I only had 2 releases that were "uncommanded" - one was a 40mph spill and only the left ski came off. Remarkably forgiving with a good bit of travel while still retaining the ski as far as I can tell. I suspect that my big spill this season would have been a yard sale on a different binding.
So at this juncture, after a season in the HF 120 Pro I'm well satisfied. With some tweaks and a bit more time I think these boots will continue to be two-thumbs up for me. My previous boots needed a couple of seasons to really come into their best, so I'm very happy. Looking forward to many seasons to come.
Did you check to see if the adjustable insert that is under the liner is set for low or high volume? The low volume setting raises the heel a bit.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend using the Nordica HF boots. His normal boot is the Nordica Speedmachine 130, but he shattered his ankle 1.5yrs ago do to a tree. Skied a few times last year, end of season. This year he had the pins removed and is just getting back to skiing again. The HF have been a good first step boot for him, until he gets full movement and less nerve pain to fit into his Speedmachine boots.

The other night, he was helping ski patrollers toboggan class. He needed to make a point to them and and did an emergency stop with the toboggan. So he isn't a mild manner skier. :)

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to @Philpug letting us know that the Ladies HF Elite Heat is going away next year, Mrs. K fit-tested a non-heated pair of 24.5s today, walked around for 10 minutes, took them off, and whipped out her CC to order the heated versions.

She was SO stoked about the on/off process compared to her beloved, but 8-10 years old, heated Salomons. Quote: Getting these on and off is as easy as my old SX rear entry boots.

Stay tuned for reports, though it will be awhile, as we're headed to Sun Valley for a week or so the day after these arrive, and nobody thought it was a good idea to bring a brand new pair of boots on a ski vacation.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
why not bring both pairs?

1. They are "expected" Friday afternoon, and we're leaving at oh-dark-thirty Saturday, so we can visit Dad on the way there.

2. Mrs. K has made it clear she wants nothing to do with switching boots around on this trip. It's focus is skiing and eating and drinking with friends of 30+ years.

badtoes

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Joined here to ask a question on fit for these... My foot is narrow at the back but wide up front thanks to hallux rigidus (stiff big toe in Latin) in both feet. Narrow volume aside from bony protusions by the big toe. That and minimal ankle flex means my boot choices without extreme pain are these or 3 piece boots. I'm not an amazing skier but I think boots that fit well and without pain would increase my enjoyment and get me on the slopes more to improve.

I tried on the HF110 and they feel good, maybe too good? I need to tighten up the back buckle a lot and still have a bit of room. My heel locks down ok, but I can wiggle my forefoot a bit. Is that ok? No one near me stocks the HF120 but I could place an order for it if the strap would help. Seeking for some opinions on this or what I should ask a fitter -- I'm near enough to Seattle so there are plenty there (PM if anyone happens to know of one that knows what Hallux Rigidus is ogsmile), just may not always have stock in what I want.

The alternatives are waiting for next year's somewhat narrower model or getting a K2 or Dalbello. The latter of which I should ask about in a different thread. Those have hot spots when I tried them on and don't feel nearly as good, but assuming a fitter could work through. As someone who sticks to groomers that may not be the first choice.

Would love some opinion on the direction to take of buy an HF now, wait a year or try something else.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Joined here to ask a question on fit for these... My foot is narrow at the back but wide up front thanks to hallux rigidus (stiff big toe in Latin) in both feet. Narrow volume aside from bony protusions by the big toe. That and minimal ankle flex means my boot choices without extreme pain are these or 3 piece boots. I'm not an amazing skier but I think boots that fit well and without pain would increase my enjoyment and get me on the slopes more to improve.

I tried on the HF110 and they feel good, maybe too good? I need to tighten up the back buckle a lot and still have a bit of room. My heel locks down ok, but I can wiggle my forefoot a bit. Is that ok? No one near me stocks the HF120 but I could place an order for it if the strap would help. Seeking for some opinions on this or what I should ask a fitter -- I'm near enough to Seattle so there are plenty there (PM if anyone happens to know of one that knows what Hallux Rigidus is ogsmile), just may not always have stock in what I want.

The alternatives are waiting for next year's somewhat narrower model or getting a K2 or Dalbello. The latter of which I should ask about in a different thread. Those have hot spots when I tried them on and don't feel nearly as good, but assuming a fitter could work through. As someone who sticks to groomers that may not be the first choice.

Would love some opinion on the direction to take of buy an HF now, wait a year or try something else.
You can add a power strap to the 110 and make it like the 120.

Read my preview of the boot here...

https://www.skitalk.com/ams/2021-nordica-hf110.61/

I think that will answer many of your questions.

badtoes

Skier
You can add a power strap to the 110 and make it like the 120.

Read my preview of the boot here...

https://www.skitalk.com/ams/2021-nordica-hf110.61/

I think that will answer many of your questions.

In fact it does, my search-fu failed me big time. Thanks for the pointer. Useful to have the lower volume foot description in there plus a few others in that comment thread.

Now back to the dilemma of the question of waiting until next year, trying to make the HF120 a tad smaller for me or trusting the fitters that they can work away hot spots on the buckles.

DesmoDog

Getting off the lift
Skier
Now back to the dilemma of the question of waiting until next year, trying to make the HF120 a tad smaller for me or trusting the fitters that they can work away hot spots on the buckles.
I bought mine a year ago. The boot fitter put me in one size smaller than I would have bought if I was on my own. A custom fit followed with aftermarket (not custom fit) insoles and some work on the shells bumping them out to fit my toes.

I skied in them six times last spring (twice in Michigan then four days at Vail and Copper Mountain) with no issues. This year I joined the ski patrol here in Michigan and have skied in them around 25 times or so. They did loosen up with time and my right foot got to the point where it moved around enough to be distractiing. I was dealing with it but then had a training session where I skied horribly. Was it the boot fit? Probably not but still, it convinced me to take them back to the shop to see what could be done. The front of my foot fit fine, I was having an issue with them being loose around my ankles and the rear adjustment cable was maxed out, they won't go any tighter.

The boot fitter added another insole (thin, not shaped) and heel wedges. This seemed to help, I could still move my heel a little if I tried but they were never intended to be a performance fit so I didn't see that as an issue. I skied in them for about eight hours the next day and it made a huge difference. No distraction from my feet moving around and I skied a lot better that day.

Long winded point being, They can be fit to remove hot spots and basically adjust volume. They don't have any adjustments on the cuff and can't really be canted like some other boots though. I've got bowed legs so could use a little help there, but I've never had a boot set up to compensate for that either so it doesn't bother me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They did loosen up with time and my right foot got to the point where it moved around enough to be distractiing.

Like you, this happens to me with just about every boot I buy around 30 or so days, though my Speedmachine 3 130s have been a bit better in this regard than most.

I usually have good luck installing a Bontex shim under the footbed, like you did. Additionally, contrary to many on this forum, I have no issues with simply moving to a thicker sock.

I have high hopes for the upcoming HF Pro. Next year will be it's first, and I'm leaning that way strongly for the next season, by which time they should have any teething problems sorted out, and my Speedmachines will be getting tired (I ski 60-65 days a year).

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
At this point in the season I would get the 110 that's available and if you feel it lacking would trade up to the new HF 110 or 130 Pro next fall. It will be a 100 last instead of 102. I have HR in my left toe and these boots saved my skiing life! I replaced the stock power strap with a Booster strap on the 120s which improved their response. I also have a narrow ankle and calf, high instep and bony ridge at the base of the left great toe. I'm seriously considering moving to the 130 in the fall (may move from the 25.5 I'm in now to a 24.5).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say the upcoming boot is far from a Hands Free (HF) in design, it might be easier to step in and get out of but there is a lot more to securing it around the foot.

Dr.T

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will say the upcoming boot is far from a Hands Free (HF) in design, it might be easier to step in and get out of but there is a lot more to securing it around the foot.
As long as entry and exit are similar to the current model the extra securing sounds like a plus. We'll see....

badtoes

Skier
At this point in the season I would get the 110 that's available and if you feel it lacking would trade up to the new HF 110 or 130 Pro next fall. It will be a 100 last instead of 102. I have HR in my left toe and these boots saved my skiing life! I replaced the stock power strap with a Booster strap on the 120s which improved their response. I also have a narrow ankle and calf, high instep and bony ridge at the base of the left great toe. I'm seriously considering moving to the 130 in the fall (may move from the 25.5 I'm in now to a 24.5).
Thanks for the POV. I appreciate the prescription ;)

Our feet could be twins, well maybe the left one at least... This year it's the current HFs or some doctoring of a 3-piece/cabrio boot. That said I can't find a 25.5 to try vs. 26.5s. It's possible sizing down is all what's needed but no way to know. The extra securing next year sounds great, if as you say the in/out ease remains. That would be perfect. Budget-wise not sure I want to buy now and later :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
contrary to many on this forum, I have no issues with simply moving to a thicker sock.
I always start out a new boot with an ultra thin sock and then move to a thin sock and then a regular sock if need be. With my current boots I have remained in the ultra thin sock: Head Advant Edge 125, bought pre Covid.

Sponsor

Staff online