• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nordica v Tecnica WC 150s

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
Hey, ya’ll!

I’m wondering if anyone has seen both of the WC 150s from Tecnica and Nordica. I’ve been on my current Doberman 150s for a few years, but I haven’t been able to find new liners, and I’m now desperate. Jeff tells me the Tecnicas are essentially the same, so I’m wondering if any of you have seen both or can at least give me your thoughts on the comparisons, especially of the liners. The Tecnica site is terrible for actually wanting to see anything of the liner! Looks like they are very similar to me…

Thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hey, ya’ll!

I’m wondering if anyone has seen both of the WC 150s from Tecnica and Nordica. I’ve been on my current Doberman 150s for a few years, but I haven’t been able to find new liners, and I’m now desperate. Jeff tells me the Tecnicas are essentially the same, so I’m wondering if any of you have seen both or can at least give me your thoughts on the comparisons, especially of the liners. The Tecnica site is terrible for actually wanting to see anything of the liner! Looks like they are very similar to me…

Thoughts?
Same boot.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
For a long time the Tecnica even had an N stamped on the sole.

Reactions: ssh
TS
ssh

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
Same boot.
Thanks, Phil. That’s pretty much what I thought. Frankly I was hoping the liner might be a bit better. So frustrating. All those great liners and I can’t make them work with how narrow my feet are; I eventually slide fore/aft in every boot…

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks, Phil. That’s pretty much what I thought. Frankly I was hoping the liner might be a bit better. So frustrating. All those great liners and I can’t make them work with how narrow my feet are; I eventually slide fore/aft in every boot…
I don't know how your feet look like, how long they are, and what shell you are in, but I've experienced similar problems at various points... Have you thought about downsizing and/or trying aftermarket liners?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
PJ @ RaceStock has for years solved this issue for my wife with a full length neoprene tongue liner.

Nordica also does a foam kit.
Best of luck!

TS
ssh

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
I don't know how your feet look like, how long they are, and what shell you are in, but I've experienced similar problems at various points... Have you thought about downsizing and/or trying aftermarket liners?
Weird small feet; currently in a 25. I did use a 24 in the old Aggressors, but Jeff felt I could get by in the 25s, and they worked great for a few years, but I started noticing fore/aft sliding this season (the bane of my boot experience!), so I know that the liners are wearing out. I tried to get help from my Nordica rep and his rep, but we got nowhere.
PJ @ RaceStock has for years solved this issue for my wife with a full length neoprene tongue liner.

Nordica also does a foam kit.
Best of luck!
Thanks. I’ve never hard of that liner, and wonder if it can fit into the small shell; it turns out the race liner is ***VERY*** thin, and all the aftermarket ones I tried—including my old Agressor liner—would not fit into the liner without distending the shell in a very unhelpful way.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I have a couple clients using the Nordica liner in 24 sized shells. George @ Starting Gate has done those.

You could also try a 24 shell with the Lange liner…. Super thin.

If you are between 24/25 in Nordica, give a look to the Dalbello DRS WC boot- runs long internally & in BSL.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
As far as the neoprene, I think Brian is talking about this-

not a full liner, is that correct Brian?

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
You might be better off with the right Zipfit rather than another stock liner.

Comish

Putting on skis
Skier
I can second the zipfit. Have had various permutations of Dobie's for 20 years. Stock liner was always too loose after a year +/- (50 to 80 days). Got Zip fit's a few years ago and they have been great. Took up that bit of room on my instep that was always the problem.

My question is have the Tecnica/Dobie's changed in the last bunch of years. There are some Tecnica 9.3 110's out there for a not a lot of $, but a '16. From the picture they look pretty much the same as newer models. Any changes?

Moose32

Attacking the Fall Line
Skier
Ski Yard in WNY carries both brands in race department (limited sizes and 150's likely)
May be worth a call as they are pretty helpful.
Also good pics for some of the Nordica and Tecnica lines.

TS
ssh

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
I can second the zipfit. Have had various permutations of Dobie's for 20 years. Stock liner was always too loose after a year +/- (50 to 80 days). Got Zip fit's a few years ago and they have been great. Took up that bit of room on my instep that was always the problem.

My question is have the Tecnica/Dobie's changed in the last bunch of years. There are some Tecnica 9.3 110's out there for a not a lot of $, but a '16. From the picture they look pretty much the same as newer models. Any changes?
Ha! I wish I could. I have the opposite issue. When I put my old plug ZipFits into my Dobermans, the shell was so open I couldn’t buckle a single buckle!

Thanks for all your help… I’ll make a few calls and see what I can find. I’m pretty disappointed with the service directly from Nordica, for sure…

James

Out There
Instructor
I’ve bought Nordica Doberman liners for years from PJ at Race Stock Sports in Waterbury. I’ve also had that neoprene tongue shim done by him years ago. Pretty sure it was sewn in also with nylon.
I still have a Tecnica plug liner around too, same thing with different logo.

Between that and Starthaus and others you should be able to find one. Don’t bother dealing direct with Nordica unless you know someone.

Only problem is it’s May. You May have to wait till Mt Hood season opens up.

Reactions: ssh
TS
ssh

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
Related question: is there any difference between the 250 and 255 mondo sizes? I know the shells are the same (obv!), but I'm wondering about the liners. And yes, it's been a long time since I've thought about this...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Related question: is there any difference between the 250 and 255 mondo sizes? I know the shells are the same (obv!), but I'm wondering about the liners. And yes, it's been a long time since I've thought about this...
No to the point that you will be hard pressed to even find a .0 boot/liner any more.

Vendome1888

Booting up
Skier
Maybe look at the liner in a 24.5 Dalbello race boot. As mentioned above, they are long for their marked sizes.
"the Dalbello DRS WC boot- runs long internally & in BSL"

TS
ssh

ssh

Steve "ssh" Hultquist
Instructor
Maybe look at the liner in a 24.5 Dalbello race boot. As mentioned above, they are long for their marked sizes.
"the Dalbello DRS WC boot- runs long internally & in BSL"
Thanks! Not on the list for me based on Jeff's guidance. But I really appreciate your help...

Sponsor