• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

numeric skill rating vs word based label

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I will also probably suggest a 160.
160cm would be a good length if you friend is 5'5" and weighs around 130lbs. Try sizing a ski that is about his eyebrow height.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
He is short and light. 5'5 and 140. That's a guess.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yes probably. I almost typed Sasquatch.

Orangutang would be the label for me.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I am helping with ski selection. I believe it would be a mistake for him to buy a wide ski or an expert ski. At best he is an intermediate = stretch to intermediate/advanced. I would never suggest that he ski on a true expert ski. I will also probably suggest a 160.

I will try Corbetts. Tried SE and they didn't have much unless I was searching the wrong category.

How tall and heavy is your friend? What boot? Does it fit properly? It matters *

*( I've sold a 191 Mantra to a first time skier. Why? Retired NFL offensive lineman who's a highly athletic mountain of a human being. He would have folded a lesser ski.)

Edit... 5'5" 140, Head V8. Solid skill building ski.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Markojp ^^

The boots he has won't cut it. That will be our next project. I know boots should come first but "baby steps"

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
He is short and light. 5'5 and 140. That's a guess.
Get him these:

Easy to handle. Will teach him how to carv. Long enough to be stable at his size.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Long enough to be stable at his size.
Is stable good? If he is unteachable and skiing like a gorilla/chimpanzee maybe something a little more unstable would be better. That way he’ll crash on his own before getting up too much speed and posing significant danger to everyone else.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Is stable good? If he is unteachable and skiing like a gorilla/chimpanzee maybe something a little more unstable would be better. That way he’ll crash on his own before getting up too much speed and posing significant danger to everyone else.
If the friend cannot ski safely in control and follow skier code, he should not be on the trails.

Sounds like a lesson is mandatory.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Boots first, rent skis if needed.
Second this strongly. Best skis in the world for a particular skier won’t make that big a difference without the right/good boots. The right boots on the other hand, can make less than perfect skis workable or better

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dude, I don't know if you realize it, but you come across as somewhere between condescending and offensively dismissive of someone you are calling a "friend".
... "No concept of what skiing should look like" ... "skis like a gorilla" ... "he is unteachable"...

Really? That incorrigible?

And yet they may be the bestest friends. Actually that’s exactly what best friends are for-to mercilessly bust your balls on every occasion. Less close friends and acquaintances must be polite, besties have to be brutal. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

“You ski like a c*nt today’ is a phrase often used in our company. :ogbiggrin: Among others even less polite.

Otherwise-yeah AR may be a good choice.

Last edited:

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And yet they may be the bestest friends. Actually that’s exactly what best friends are for-to mercilessly bust your balls on every occasion. Less close friends and acquaintances must be polite, besties have to be brutal. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

“You ski like a c*nt today’ is a phrase often used in our company. :ogbiggrin: Among others even less polite.

Otherwise-yeah AR may be a good choice.
When I first moved to California from New England, I had to watch and change my sense of humor. In New England, we bust the b&@ls of those we love the most -we bust because we love. If someone ignores you or doesn’t give you good natured grief, they likely don’t like you. :roflmao: In my experience, it’s an east coast thing, usually among people who have known each other a long time.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I first moved to California from New England, I had to watch and change my sense of humor. In New England, we bust the b&@ls of those we love the most -we bust because we love. If someone ignores you or doesn’t give you good natured grief, they likely don’t like you. :roflmao: In my experience, it’s an east coast thing, usually among people who have known each other a long time.

Exactly. And British too and common in many many other cultures.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Exactly. And British too and common in many many other cultures.
I was going to mention the Brits- brutal! If you can’t” take the piss out of your mates , who can you?” I think the New England thing is just a carry over from England.
I never laugh as hard as I do when I’m back in New England . I’m usually laughing about something said about me. Priceless.

TS
no edge

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier

Yeah and to make matters worse... we are from Troy.

We do need to give him some kind of direction.

Sponsor

Staff online