• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Off the beaten path ski shops

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mall in Norman Oklahoma ski and surf shop ski wall.

1597361998144.png

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pretty entry level but I have seen worse. It looks like they at least have a good selection of Superfeet.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bought a coat at "Claude's " in Faitfield, Idaho. Find that one on the map. Would happily live there by the way.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It's definitely hit and miss, but entirely possible to occasionally have a college kid who grew up in ski country as a shop rat working there.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not off the beaten path in location but definitely in vibe and that is Strands Ski Shop in Worcester Mass.

Strand's is definitely geared toward hard core skiers. When rear entry boots were the rage, Leif and Roy refused to sell them because they were "not conducive to good skiing". They stocked only overlap boots throughout that era. I witnessed many potential customers leave without purchasing or even looking at the overlap displays, but they stuck firmly to their beliefs. Gotta hand it to them..they were proven right in the end.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alpine Ski Racing in Mt. Hood, Oregon. Halfway between Hood River and Mt. Hood Meadows ski area.

Owned and staffed by a former world cup boot fitter and ski tuner. Great guy. Stock almost completely limited to racing skis, boots, wax, etc.

Hauls everything up to Government Camp on Mt. Hood in the summer, and tunes skis for the kids racing camps every day, until the wee hours of the morning.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I always considered Salters Ski Shop in Eagleville Pa one of those off the beaten path shops. Salters was a small family owned shop in the outskirts of the Philly suburbs. George specialized in bootfitting and sold a handful of skis.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I understand the ski part in Oklahoma but the Surf part is a bit of a surprise.
Yeah, I was wanting to see a picture of the surf gear.
wake surfing. the pic in Norman is probably sun and ski. they tell a ton of wake surf boards per year especially this year when boat sales are off the charts.
Big boats make big wakes and there some nice lakes inOk.

They surf The Gulf of New Mexico there.. :P

But ya, Thunderbird is right outside of Norman. We skied there when I was in college. Hefner, Draper..

James

Out There
Instructor
Ski Haus in Brewster, NY on 22. Ten minutes from Thunder Ridge, the ski area formerly known as Big Birch. I can’t remember the last time I went in, but it’s been there forever.

9AC9A525-ADD6-49E3-AB44-C46F10322905.jpeg

James

Out There
Instructor
Forever, indeed. Used to drive up that way all the time. Red Rooster still up there?
Yes. They seem to have expanded some. Nothing real big.
Not far away right off 22 in Dover Plains they built a $1.6billion power plant. Cricket Valley Energy Center. Just opened.

Sponsor

Staff online