• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Over the glasses goggles (that actually work)?

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
There’s plenty of all white or black ones available. Never used thst lens, but for Utah is probably good for non storm days.
The Canopy is no easy lens swap. But once you get through the cursing stage, it’s not that bad. Still, it’s old school bend the frame.

I've only used it with Smith. But honestly, in the East, I always have goggles, but use them as little as possible. We pretty much only need low light. In Oakley Canopy- persimmon, hi persimmon (has flash), Prizm Hi pink. Some like yellow.

$120- north dakota

Olive, UK £90

VR28 is a neutral color 23% lens.

White, $113 They have blk
Anazon

Lens guide. Not all of these were even available.

With the Smith Vantage:
View attachment 181161
Thanks!
I would be looking for low/flat light lenses.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Doesn't work for everyone.

My prescription is not the same on both eyes. In fact quite different. So no off-the-shelf glasses would work at all. As for bi-focal? I don't need it due to how near-sighted I am. I simply take off my prescription glasses to read. But others might not be able to. So they're stuck with a bigger size frame?

I don't pretend to know what would work for the OP. Only that it's different issue for different people. (some people have issue with fogging. Again, I didn't have it too bad myself). So what works for one may not work for another at all.
They aren't off the shelf, they are real prescription lenses, prism and astigmatism and everything. They are just a bargain. I discovered when my brother-in-law tried that they have a maximum strength they can make, something like 5 diopters.
The mail-order places make bifocals (in fact I have a pair) but they cost close to $100 instead of close to $50. Even if you need bifocals for everyday wear, you don't need them for skiing.

The point I was trying to make is that your eyeglass needs for skiing are not the same as your eyeglass needs for other parts of your life, so a simplified pair may make sense.

James

Out There
Instructor
Thanks!
I would be looking for low/flat light lenses.
Your choices would be-
Persimmon, Hi persimmon (has flash), Prizm Hi pink, Hi (?) Yellow Just depends whether you prefer orange or yellow , or pinkish prizm.

Since you’re in the west, Prizm Rose would also prob work. It’s too dark in the East, for me at least, have to go Hi Pink. But out there many seem to like it.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've gone with a smaller frame pair of glasses with OTG first from Zeal then Giro. I then went with the goggle insert and haven't looked back. It's so much more convenient. No fumbling with glasses, no forgetting the ones that fit best in the frame, no dropping them when taking the goggles off. If I had to make the choice between a pair of ski glasses and the inserts I'd pick the inserts knowing what I know now.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A visor helmet, not less than $100 or Goggle inserts ...

I’m not a huge fan of the looks of those visor helmets but if they really, truly work for keeping glasses from fogging I’d buy one tomorrow. Anyone who has one want to chime in? @dbostedo ? @Andy Mink do you have one or am I remembering incorrectly?

My contact lens prescription is for progressive lens and is at its limit for adjustments. Fix the near vision and the far will get worse. The first day out last season I tried Smith IO OTG goggles with my glasses and I didn’t make it up to the top of the lift before they fogged and the same on the first run down after wiping them clear.

EDIT, I see that Andy is now using goggle inserts. I must be thinking of someone else from the gathering

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have one and I really like it. But I don't wear it with glasses.
Thanks for the quick reply. Does it get good airflow from below? How about out the top? I see that some are seamless with the front edge and others overlap. I would imagine the key to it working would be airflow and volume inside

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the quick reply. Does it get good airflow from below? How about out the top? I see that some are seamless with the front edge and others overlap. I would imagine the key to it working would be airflow and volume inside
Volume inside is definitely bigger than my regular goggles. There isn't any particular airflow along the bottom edge compared to regular goggles - it seals pretty well against my face when down, just like my regular goggles.

I have not had any fogging problems with it, but have not worn it in as many variable conditions as my regular goggles - which I have had occasional fogging issue with. With either, I think the venting out the top and through the helmet is key... On my regular goggles I don't have fogging issues if I keep moving. But on lifts - or especially gondis or trams - I have sometimes have had fogging issues; I assume because there's less airflow across my helmet pulling air through the goggles.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Volume inside is definitely bigger than my regular goggles. There isn't any particular airflow along the bottom edge compared to regular goggles - it seals pretty well against my face when down, just like my regular goggles.

I have not had any fogging problems with it, but have not worn it in as many variable conditions as my regular goggles - which I have had occasional fogging issue with. With either, I think the venting out the top and through the helmet is key... On my regular goggles I don't have fogging issues if I keep moving. But on lifts - or especially gondis or trams - I have sometimes have had fogging issues; I assume because there's less airflow across my helmet pulling air through the goggles.
What brand/model do you have?

Thankfully none of my goggles fog when I’m wearing my contact lenses but this is likely the last year I’ll be able to. As it is I wear my glasses all the time except for skiing

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
What brand/model do you have?

Thankfully none of my goggles fog when I’m wearing my contact lenses but this is likely the last year I’ll be able to. As it is I wear my glasses all the time except for skiing
Giro Orbit for the visor.

Anon M2 goggles, worn with several helmets, when I'm wearing regular goggles.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not a huge fan of the looks of those visor helmets but if they really, truly work for keeping glasses from fogging I’d buy one tomorrow. Anyone who has one want to chime in? @dbostedo ? @Andy Mink do you have one or am I remembering incorrectly?

My contact lens prescription is for progressive lens and is at its limit for adjustments. Fix the near vision and the far will get worse. The first day out last season I tried Smith IO OTG goggles with my glasses and I didn’t make it up to the top of the lift before they fogged and the same on the first run down after wiping them clear.

EDIT, I see that Andy is now using goggle inserts. I must be thinking of someone else from the gathering

My son had two OSBE visor helmets. They worked OK when he skied with glasses back during the early teen years. Went back to goggles, with the OSE helmet, after he switched to contacts. The lens with foam seal on the bottom work fairly well.

Both my son and I had skied with glasses for years. We found the flexible titanium frames worked very well under regular goggles. Especially glasses with small lens sizes. We can use regular goggles by removing the foam on the goggle where the legs go through.

Mamie and I both wear progressive glasses. Our contact lens are for distance only. I carry a pair of folding reading glasses for those occasions requiring close up work.

James

Out There
Instructor
You might try the Julbo OTG. Julbo is a small company. Unless it’s been swallowed recently.

The Julbo has the pop forward lens to vent. Like when going up a lift or skinning. People seem to like it, haven’t heard about glasses.

07054AA7-FF24-493E-8C43-64087D1D2B87.jpeg

Pulls forward for temporary venting. Can probably leave it there if it’s not too cold or spritzing.

Plus a cutout for the frame:

8BE823A3-BAD7-4BA1-BAA6-03F5ACF9CB11.jpeg

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My son had two OSBE visor helmets. They worked OK when he skied with glasses back during the early teen years. Went back to goggles, with the OSE helmet, after he switched to contacts. The lens with foam seal on the bottom work fairly well.

Both my son and I had skied with glasses for years. We found the flexible titanium frames worked very well under regular goggles. Especially glasses with small lens sizes. We can use regular goggles by removing the foam on the goggle where the legs go through.

Mamie and I both wear progressive glasses. Our contact lens are for distance only. I carry a pair of folding reading glasses for those occasions requiring close up work.
That's my approach too.

That idea hadn't occurred to me (distance only contacts with reading glasses). My distance vision is actually pretty good with only minor corrections so maybe the reverse approach is my solution. I'll have to talk with my eye doc to see if the corrections for the reading distance in the contacts are strong enough to adversely impact my distance sight while wearing them. Thanks for the suggestion!!

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You might try the Julbo OTG. Julbo is a small company. Unless it’s been swallowed recently.

The Julbo has the pop forward lens to vent. Like when going up a lift or skinning. People seem to like it, haven’t heard about glasses.

View attachment 181414
Pulls forward for temporary venting. Can probably leave it there if it’s not too cold or spritzing.

Plus a cutout for the frame:

View attachment 181415

I'll check them out if the idea KingGrump suggested doesn't pan out. Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Like adjusting bindings? Note to anyone that lets @KingGrump get near your skis, make sure he is wearing his glasses.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
That's my approach too.
Me 3

Except I don't ever use the reading glasses for anything related to skiing. It's in my pocket but I managed not to use it...

(I check my work email while on the hill. That's what I use the reading glasses for)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Except I don't ever use the reading glasses for anything related to skiing.
I used to use them for signing credit card slips for lift tickets. Then I decided to trust and wing it. Then I got Ikon.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Like adjusting bindings? Note to anyone that lets @KingGrump get near your skis, make sure he is wearing his glasses.

You mean beating it with a hammer like is not the right way? My alternative method when I don't have a hammer is adjust by braille. :ogbiggrin:

I used to carried he folding reading glasses. Last season I went the way of the clip on. Sits flat in the pocket.

1666830592797.png

Sponsor

Staff online