• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Passenger All-Weather Tires with 3PMSF aka "4season" tires discussion

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Heh..our Quebec friends. :) To be fair, Montreal has some geography that we don't. Toronto is fairly flat..with a few exceptions. Montreal has a bit more topographical challenges. Aussi Ville de Quebec..

Here's a beauty day in Toronto..half these cars have all-season tires... I love red Civic dude....I'm amazed he even has a snow brush...

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
What abysmal braking performance?
The braking performance that was so bad it nullified the all-wheel drive forward traction advantage coming out of corners that would other-wise have given the all-wheel drive car far better lap times. That it has far better forward traction was aptly demonstrated. The braking performance that was so bad they were too ashamed to give us any data in the summary, like 60 mph (or pick another speed if you like) to 0 mph stopping distance. Braking is pretty important, especially when going down hill.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
The braking performance that was so bad it nullified the all-wheel drive forward traction advantage coming out of corners that would other-wise have given the all-wheel drive car far better lap times. That it has far better forward traction was aptly demonstrated. The braking performance that was so bad they were too ashamed to give us any data in the summary, like 60 mph (or pick another speed if you like) to 0 mph stopping distance. Braking is pretty important, especially going when going down hill.
I think the other thing that was kinda glossed over was the average driver's skill level. Chances are they're safer in an understeering FWD than an oversteering AWD.

Reactions: nay

scott43

Skier
LOL. Toronto has been laughed at by Quebecers for calling in the army for what most Montrealers would consider just another snow day. :P
Well that was Mel Lastman..who never missed an opportunity to grandstand.. Most Torontonians laughed at old Mel for pulling that stunt..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Passenger All-Weather Tires with 3PMSF aka "4season" tires discussion​

20 pages of... "Yer gonna die!!!!"

Reactions: nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
The braking performance that was so bad it nullified the all-wheel drive forward traction advantage coming out of corners that would other-wise have given the all-wheel drive car far better lap times. That it has far better forward traction was aptly demonstrated. The braking performance that was so bad they were too ashamed to give us any data in the summary, like 60 mph (or pick another speed if you like) to 0 mph stopping distance. Braking is pretty important, especially when going down hill.
The point of that test, in my view, is to show that a simple AWD system plus all weather tire crushes a FWD with a winter tire for forward traction, and that a good driver can’t drive a FWD with a winter tire any faster than a AWD with an all weather tire. This means, in easy terms and to the point of this thread, that winter tires are becoming less and less relevant for most drivers.

I took my daughter’s turbo 2015 Forrester out last night for some testing of the Wildpeak AT Trail, which is 3PMSF rated. It was cold, 18F degrees, which is never super low traction, but it had gotten icy in spots early in the day to the extent her high school was warning drivers to be careful and she called me to ask. This was the first time she has ever driven in snow by herself and she just drove home through steep neighborhoods with zero issues. We’ll see lower traction days that this for sure here, and I’ll keep testing, but so far that tire is just flat out planted on our two Subarus and it’s an outstanding road tire.

And good grief that car is fun with this kind of tire. I stopped on a steep downhill around 10% grade, gunned it so the turbo would spool up, slammed on the brakes, zero drama of any kind, insane traction. Also did a hard start stop on an icy corner patch with not much snow on it, stopped on a very steep uphill with snow and ice, just zero issues unless I was gunning it. I did take video, but I haven’t uploaded it yet.

You could rally that car on those tires, what a blast. I also spend a lot of time having oversteer fun with an AWD drivetrain, although the traction control shuts that down entirely here. Most people don’t have any experience cornering with oversteer, and that’s why FWD is generally safer and traction control won’t allow it, but using the turbo to break out the rear, oh boy that would be fun.

The AT Trail has stupid good traction on a car like this, which is what it was designed for. Again, if we are talking about safety for driving purposefully in winter, no issue I can find yet. Would be fun to test the limits racing. That’s why I drive trucks for the last 20 years and not fast cars.

Also driving Loveland Pass with 38” off-road tires. There was a Crosstrek sitting up top who then followed me down - easy to follow brake lights. That’s really tough conditions to be sitting down low. Temps -2F, I had zero traction issues and we went down pretty fast once we could see.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah but the problem with that “test” is you can’t drive around traffic floored and spinning the tires in max oversteer all the time. Plus scenarios like that video with the hill coming into a T is more realistic then an empty track in Finland. Acceleration spinning is useless braking downhill. That’s more the likely spot people get into trouble.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Yeah but the problem with that “test” is you can’t drive around traffic floored and spinning the tires in max oversteer all the time. Plus scenarios like that video with the hill coming into a T is more realistic then an empty track in Finland. Acceleration spinning is useless braking downhill. That’s more the likely spot people get into trouble.
You can’t just oversteer around your neighborhood, you need a cul-de-sac or more open space to do it for sure.

Outside of driving in the winter with tires that have zero traction (just sliding with no control down hills), lateral traction is the most difficult thing to manage, and most drivers have little to no skill in breaking and regaining lateral traction - it’s the primary purpose of electronic traction control systems (safety). You never want to have more than one vector breaking traction, which is why you don’t brake hard into turn, because it compromises lateral traction and forward at the same time.

Accelerating through a turn to break traction is easier, because it can be intentional and typically brought back under control purely by throttle management. Once of the absolute best tests of a tire, IMO, is the oversteer test under throttle, because you are using throttle to intentionally brake traction, steering through the oversteer slide, and then backing off throttle when you need to. If the tire regains traction immediately in that test, then it is going to be very predictable in lateral traction, which is by far the most difficult to control when lost.

The downhill throttle test to break traction and then stomp on the brakes to stop is forcing a spin and then regain of control against gravity in one motion. It’s not as good as a cornering test, but it sure is informative as to whether you have good lateral and braking control. Same engine as the WRX here, 250 HP turbo, 3,600 lb shortish wheelbase car. There is never any break of lateral traction, it stops stupid fast, and these neighbohood roads have a decent crown that puts a lot of people in the ditch when it’s icy.

You can see here watching RPM what it takes to even get any slip (flashes on the gauge cluster finally). There is no reason, ever, to drive like this on public roads.

Last edited:

Chickenmonkey

David T.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Can one even call it a test if they skip over braking completely? Panic stops and hill stops happen.

At least level with people that the new wonder tire all seasons do in fact have a shortcoming compared to dedicated snows.

James

Out There
Instructor
Can one even call it a test if they skip over braking completely? Panic stops and hill stops happen.
No, since theres little data other than lap times. Might as well have a 1970’s rear wheel drive sedan out there with 1970’s tires. That would be fun too.

Somewhere they have a test of different tires in different temps. Summer, all season, winter.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
^ Geez, that was painful.

Doesn’t the snowflake mean 10% better than a standard?

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Yes. When it was being developed, the idea was to have it much better, but that idea got voted down and they settled for 10% better. It's a pretty low standard, IMHO. Not all 3PMSF tires are created equal.

However, that's the minimum, not the top end. Some will do better than others.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at the Consumer Reports rankings, there's a huge difference in winter performance between all-season car/SUV 3PMSF tires.

Car/SUV 3PMS tires (like the CrossClimate 2) have good winter performance, and the winter performance of the A/T 3PMSF is not so great.

There's not a single A/T tire with an excellent snow traction rating, despite a bunch of them stamped with 3PMSF.

In contrast, there are a ton of all-season truck and SUV tires with excellent snow traction ratings, most of which are not stamped 3PMSF.

It is sad folks are going out and buying 3PMS A/T tires that have worse winter performance than all-season tires. Folks are misled by the 3PMSF rating and lured into the odd fashion trend of making their car-based SUV look like it can go off-road by slapping on A/T tires. Most would be much better off with good all-season tires.

Of course, nothing compares to actual winter tires, especially in the most winter condition, icy roads.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jumping back into the thread...

With the blizzard and additional dump of snow at mammoth in one week.... with the Michelin CrossClimate2, 235/55r20

3897ECC8-962E-4D8E-B7C5-F4198C7A2511.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

Getting the car pulled out was uneventful. Driving around, once I got a feel for traction vs throttle input, careful driving up and down the mountain at Mammoth was uneventful, which is a good thing. Didn't do anything stupid, like purposedly trying to get stuck and pull the car out by the tires... barely got the ABS kicked in, except for when I was about to miss a turn...

Things did get a little squirrely when I wasn't paying attention going back down the mountain, and letting the speed creep up to 30 mph and a sharp right curve... once the VSC and tires got traction again, all was well (just a split second it took).

Who doesn't like tire prints in the snow?
IMG_2885.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online