• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
River crossing too! My lovely wife pictured. the water was really cold but refreshing on the legs. you can see how clear it was.
82C00356-0B19-445C-B4D8-1A537BE4B258_1_201_a.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
for sure, some of those pics were taken from the hike along the coast. That was pretty wild, steep rocky up/down but incredible! We had torrential rain on the way back, water cascading down the trail. It was really fun though.

View attachment 146242
Did you get any of that red clay on you? I was told it is difficult to get off, and they use it to dye tee shirts.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Did you get any of that red clay on you? I was told it is difficult to get off, and they use it to dye tee shirts.

OOH yes! However, we were so drenched that the clay got watered down! We were in shorts so our legs were red though. I washed our shoes out as soon as we got home and it all came out. At home when it rains, the temps drop and you freeze but it was warm so you didn't mind walking in the rain. It was like being a little kid playing in the puddles. Ironically, the red clay can be "kauai Ice" but once the rain came down it washed off the layer of algae (or whatever slime it is) you had better traction. Its just like skiing though COM over your arches and match pitch with upper body and you won't slip :).

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
OOH yes! However, we were so drenched that the clay got watered down! We were in shorts so our legs were red though. I washed our shoes out as soon as we got home and it all came out. At home when it rains, the temps drop and you freeze but it was warm so you didn't mind walking in the rain. It was like being a little kid playing in the puddles. Ironically, the red clay can be "kauai Ice" but once the rain came down it washed off the layer of algae (or whatever slime it is) you had better traction. Its just like skiing though COM over your arches and match pitch with upper body and you won't slip :).
When were there we rented a car and was told that if we brought it back with the red clay they would charge us extra for cleaning.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
@Ron did you guys make it as far as the caves? Used to be an ad hoc hippie commune back in the day. Historically they had quite a past too.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
When were there we rented a car and was told that if we brought it back with the red clay they would charge us extra for cleaning.
I could see that! There's also the issue with tourists driving on roads that they shouldn't be on with a regular car (just like in CO). Hawaii is also notorious for their charges when renting cars.
@Ron did you guys make it as far as the caves? Used to be an ad hoc hippie commune back in the day. Historically they had quite a past too.
We only did the 4 mile hike, We weren't sure of the weather for the 8, which is to the waterfall. they tell you to allow 8 hours for that hike and 4 hours for the 4 mile hike. it took us 2.5 hours for the 4 so we could have done it but, next time.

Not sure about the caves, there are caves everywhere! the beach we hiked to did have a really cool one but you couldn't live in it. the tide was coming in and it wasnt safe to go Inside.

DA009023-3903-464E-BD5B-DE75266B291A_1_201_a.jpeg
BD6A1630-2C3C-4CA2-A8DF-03239F520A3C_1_201_a.jpeg

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow. So hard to capture a big moon like that. Beautiful.
I use a PhoneSkope adaptor with my Vortex spotting scope. Kinda pricey but great results. All the other photos were with just the phone and some practice with manual settings. I think they're all off a Samsung S20+. I also had good results with the S10.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd imagine that Hawaii is like Alaska in that the pictures just do not do it justice.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nevada Day Parade. The start of the show flyover.
20211030_100040.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Some more Halloween shots. This is my oldest several years ago. He makes his own masks and I think this one was the best of the bunch.
1836762_10203449139531079_4676044146103031765_o.jpg
10712593_10203450871054366_9003882329377135643_o.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That's pretty gruesome. He has some serious skills. He'll be working in Hollywood soon.

Sponsor

Staff online