• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is really somewhere in Utah. 70 west of Green River. Stunning. These are just view spots in the highway. View attachment 177376 View attachment 177377 View attachment 177378
Your photos were taken in the central region of the San Rafael Swell. Interstate 70 divides the northern region from the southern region. The size of the Swell measures approximately 75 miles north to south by 40 miles east to west and it is a huge playground for those interested in canyoneering, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, horseback riding, mountain biking, dirt biking, and riding ATVs. In big runoff years, there is a window of opportunity to kayak and river raft as well. Not an inviting place to recreate in the summer, especially this summer, as the Swell acts as a very big oven, with little shade or water available. The limited road network is susceptible to flash flooding during monsoon season also. There's not a great deal of wildlife found in the Swell: the usual desert-dwelling reptiles, large birds of prey, and herds of wild horses and donkeys constitute the majority of animals I've seen during my many visits.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Your photos were taken in the central region of the San Rafael Swell. Interstate 70 divides the northern region from the southern region. The size of the Swell measures approximately 75 miles north to south by 40 miles east to west and it is a huge playground for those interested in canyoneering, hiking, backpacking, rock climbing, horseback riding, mountain biking, dirt biking, and riding ATVs. In big runoff years, there is a window of opportunity to kayak and river raft as well. Not an inviting place to recreate in the summer, especially this summer, as the Swell acts as a very big oven, with little shade or water available. The limited road network is susceptible to flash flooding during monsoon season also. There's not a great deal of wildlife found in the Swell: the usual desert-dwelling reptiles, large birds of prey, and herds of wild horses and donkeys constitute the majority of animals I've seen during my many visits.
You read the interpretive signs! JK, but at least there was quite a bit of info about the Swell and what caused it, what is around it, etc. I definitely want to go explore the area when it's not 100°!

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
My favorite campsite, at an undisclosed location in the San Rafael Swell. @Daniel can probably figure it out…
90117C86-B8BF-4280-A21C-294211CDFF2B.jpeg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
You read the interpretive signs! JK, but at least there was quite a bit of info about the Swell and what caused it, what is around it, etc. I definitely want to go explore the area when it's not 100°!
Colorado Plateau landscapes in Utah are best visited after normal winter precipitation in May while ephemeral streams still have water and the atmosphere is clearest without any wildfire smoke. So one won't have to carry as much water, vegetation and wildflowers are peaking, and snow still adorns nearby mountains. Also less others vacationing as most Americans unwisely do so in summer when temperatures are often hot, and vegetation is long dried up. From May 2005, a scan from a Provia 100F 4x5 scan. Caineville area badlands. The above noted, it has been a few years since those droughty areas had a normal winter.

05-L-84y.jpg

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Coming back from Vail via Highway 50 in Nevada.
20220906_073742.jpg

Illipah Reservoir. The water's low but the duck numbers were high.

20220906_094231.jpg

Stoke's Castle, Austin

20220906_094422.jpg

Reese River Valley from Stoke's Castle

20220906_101048.jpg

Smith Creek Dry Lake on Nevada 722

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
My favorite campsite, at an undisclosed location in the San Rafael Swell. @Daniel can probably figure it out…
View attachment 177409
W. O. Have camped there at least a half dozen different times encompassing about a dozen days or so going back a long time. It was once possible to have the entire area to yourself but those days are much more difficult to come by now. Like in your photo, we rarely found a fly for the tent was needed when camping in the Swell. It's also my favorite camp location in the Swell but I do have a close runner-up; however, it's a long distance out of the way from most anywhere.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lot's of talk about the Colorado River in any number of outlets this summer. We thought we would check out the upper Colorado and have a nice day on the river. It was a perfect day.

IMG_1219.JPG

There were plenty of others enjoying a peaceful day also

IMG_1221.JPG

Had to put the phone away here

IMG_1222.JPG

Really nice on the upper. You have to go about 300 miles down river from here before you see it get bad.

IMG_1223.JPG

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The Great Reno Balloon Races are in town. Generally I don't have to go anywhere as a few come to me.
20220909_084429.jpg
20220909_081444.jpg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Smokey skies