• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Planning a ski trip after Christmas, Park City or Vail Town?

Rookie Diana

Booting up
Skier
My new snowboarding gear arrived recently and I'm ready to give myself a break after Christmas - which is better for snowboarding, Park City or Vail Town? (I'm a snowboarding rookie)

Attachments

• photo_2022-11-29_11-34-43.jpg
    photo_2022-11-29_11-34-43.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hope you have a great time. Both are fine and very popular spots for a great vacation on and off the slopes. I'm a skier and don't have the greatest ability to convert to snowboard mindset to judge ease of accessing and traversing terrain. I'd have a hard time rating the two, especially for intermediate and expert snowboarders who are going to cover a lot of ground. Of course skilled boarders can get around anywhere they want!

PC and Vail are both huge and I expect would have good beginner terrain if that's what you're looking for. At Park City there is a nice mellow trail pod on the Canyons side of the resort above the Red Pine Gondola. Served by High Meadow and Saddleback chairs. You'd download on the gondola afterwards to avoid more challenging terrain. That's a scenic area with relatively good snow quality because it's high on the mtn. Whereas, most beginner areas at ski areas are located at the base of the mountains where things are busier and snow is not as good. There is also a high elevation beginners area at Vail called Practice Parkway near the top of the Eagles Nest chair. I'm sure they'd take care of you there too. If you have an Epic Pass go to both:yahoo:

Last edited:

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve skiied, not snowboarded Vail and do not think it’s a good of a beginner mountain, especially for snowboarders. There is a nice smallish learning area at the top of Lionshead/Eagles Nest which is easy to access. The best beginner terrain is Sourdough which is not easy to get to. Vail has a fair amount of catwalks to get from one area to another which suck for snowboarders. I haven’t skied Park City so can’t compare. Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breck and Copper are much more beginner friendly. Copper has naturally divided terrain so most beginners are together without more advanced riders screaming past them. With that being said,of the I-70 resorts I think Beaver Creek is the best for beginners. It has two awesome, large beginner areas (Red Buffalo and McCoy Park) at the top of the mountain with another good beginner area at the bottom of the mountain (Haymeadows/Highlands). I never have any reservations about taking beginners to Beaver Creek.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
“Vail has a fair amount of catwalks”

Catwalk:

F51C32E1-34FA-42A4-AF09-71DBFC91BFA6.jpeg

cattrack:

40D286F0-015F-49BD-BC28-3C115CC7453C.jpeg

snowcat leaving track (no walking involved)

7822664D-8AE2-4B7F-9459-FF07C471BC92.jpeg

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Park City is easier to travel to, is lower elevation (easier to sleep/breathe) and has tons of terrain for all levels.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, today is Christmas. Have you decided where to go?
would love to hear what you decided.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Park City Mountain Resort is a good choice. Note that the adjoining Deer Valley resort doesn't permit snowboarding.

Diana, I'm guessing that you already have an Epic pass because of the options you picked. If you don't, you'll save money by getting one of the multi-day passes, but read the fine print. Some are non-transferrable and non-refundable.

Sponsor

Staff online