• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Blue Box, Designed and Built by Steve Wozniak and Marketed by Steve Jobs, circa 1972

1680488574628.png

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Never paid for one of those in the 70's. We just called the operator and put the coins in the adjacent payphone for our free long distance calls.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Got to be an April Fools Joke. These things are illegal as hell !
Nope. Woz really did that. I suspect that Jobs' 'marketing' was directed at his friends, not the public in general.

Last edited:

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not sure what the second part of that is. Sounds creepy.

Here’s a couple more though- one of those tone generators that plays phone number tones into the receiver. So you don’t have to dial them.

- A scanner with plug in crystals
I don't think I ever saw one of those that wasn't modified to make coin drop tones for pay phones.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Nope. Woz really did that. I suspect that Jobs' 'marketing' a directed at his friends, not the public in general.
I was at Clarkson College of Technology at that time, early 70s. A bunch of my friends were phone phreques. Once they called around the world to the phone in the next room. The lag was interesting. There were also two other boxes, the Spiro and the Agnew. One allowed you to call free and the other allowed you to accept calls so your caller did not get billed. Ma Bell finally built a special facility in Potsdam, where Clarkson was located, in an attempt to catch these guys. Ma Bell finally caught a few.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some people only take checks.

The other 6:

It is important to not lose the ability to read a paper map. Especially if you travel in areas prone to lose satellite signal.

I can't seem to give away my old dictionaries. Multiple languages.

Vinyl is still great and I still have some cds that aren't on streaming platforms, although hardly use those. My DH has some historic recordings on cassette from his brief time with a Rolling Stones tour.

People still like getting postcards.

Sponsor

Staff online