• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
181495186_316461650043889_3344397236751909038_n.jpg

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
Its more fun to get a rotary dial phone for your kids friends to try to use.

While you’re doing that, try explaining to them how the phone company had a monopoly on not just the phone lines but even the phones themselves. Don’t like the service or the devices? Tough luck, because there aren’t any alternatives.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...but even the phones themselves...
Interesting... that's something I've never known/experienced. When I was younger, we could always just buy whatever phone and plug it in to the wall port. Was it universal? Or particular locations/phone companies?

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
While you’re doing that, try explaining to them how the phone company had a monopoly on not just the phone lines but even the phones themselves. Don’t like the service or the devices? Tough luck, because there aren’t any alternatives.
And not everyone was happy with that either. Plug junk in the jacks and get billed for a service call. "What do you mean this Harley/train/Batman phone is bad in 2 months? My old rotary was 20 years old!" "Why wont these ring? I have 23 phones connected." "That line cord that I direct buried to my garage isnt bad. You have to fix it for free!!"
You should have heard the howling when we tied all of the people who had been paying for a party line but were the last on the party line all together to get them to take a regular line.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Interesting... that's something I've never known/experienced. When I was younger, we could always just buy whatever phone and plug it in to the wall port. Was it universal? Or particular locations/phone companies?
Universal, you just are not old enough.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For those that still have an old Bell line, rotary phones should still work, those that have a discount line it is likely a VOIP type line and at that point all bets are off. Hard part is, unless you truly know is if you try it.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
For those that still have an old Bell line, rotary phones should still work, those that have a discount line it is likely a VOIP type line and at that point all bets are off. Hard part is, unless you truly know is if you try it.
My old copper line stopped working and they forced us to switch. The Verizon tech told me he was not allowed to fix the old copper lines under any circumstances, they want everyone on FIOS.

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Can anybody hook this one up!! View attachment 133173
Yes. As long as the guts are good, it can be connected. It should dial the operator when you crank the handle. Unless you are on a voip. OR you can switch hook dial. A rotary phone makes and breaks the contacts, and tapping the switch hook will do the same. You just have to keep count and hope who you are calling isnt 9999890908. The ringer will have to be rewired, open the back and see if there is a wiring diagram in it. Did one 20+ years ago and it worked. Copper pairs are the same.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yes. As long as the guts are good, it can be connected. It should dial the operator when you crank the handle. Unless you are on a voip. OR you can switch hook dial. A rotary phone makes and breaks the contacts, and tapping the switch hook will do the same. You just have to keep count and hope who you are calling isnt 9999890908
Heh. I had a "tone dialer" in the '90s that made the coin deposit sound for a payphone. It was quite useful with the ridiculous long distance charges they used to have.

Last edited:

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Heh. I had a "tone dialer" in the '90s that made the coin deposit sound for a payphone. It was quite useful with the ridiculous log distance charges they used to have.

In the 70s we called people like you Phone Phreques. Ma Bell put special equipment in Potsdam NY to catch them. A bunch of my buddies had or made Spiros and Agnews to rip off the phone company. At an RIT Clarkson away hockey game the college radio station phoned in from RIT on a pay phone to report on the game. After they managed to fill the phone with nickels the nickels would fall out after hitting the bell making the operator think they had paid. They kept the line open that way for the whole game. Engineering students are, well engineers.

Sponsor

Staff online