• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pros and cons of bib pants?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been enjoying a TNF bib the last two seasons. Expands with beer and food consumption. Yesterday, I found a con. Ripped a big one while loosening boots and it got trapped in the bib with the only way of escape being to go up through my jacket and right into my face. Took a good 30 mins of wiggling to get all the smell out with random whiffs for hours after.

At least you know they keep the warm air in.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Can you fit in Norrona?

Never tried them. In Spyder now. Wanted very much a Stio but they don’t ship to Europe or sell here and the other routes are too complicated. The red Environ is a beauty.

dx111

Booting up
Skier
FYI the Norrona Lofoten bibs run quite slim in the chest. I have had a couple of their Medium sized bibs, and I'm a 32 waist ( 5'8" 160 lbs ). You wouldn't want to be much larger as it can be difficult to zip up the chest part, or you might burst that chest zipper if you bend over. Mine are now 3 years old, so maybe they have increased the fit a bit by now ?
Norrona offers a truly awesome mesh vest that can be zipped onto any of their Lofoten pants. IMO a truly superior alternative to their bib/suspender extension option.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ good to know. I guess it gives some sort of "suspender" equivalency function, but better weight distribution. I read the reviews on Norrona's site, I might have to grab a set. However you can have it in ANY colour, as long as its black.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Been enjoying a TNF bib the last two seasons. Expands with beer and food consumption. Yesterday, I found a con. Ripped a big one while loosening boots and it got trapped in the bib with the only way of escape being to go up through my jacket and right into my face. Took a good 30 mins of wiggling to get all the smell out with random whiffs for hours after.
yeah, try that in a onesie!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still more comfortable running suspenders on everything except the thin pants on warm spring days. Bibs (or a onesie) definitely better when there is snow flying.

I do prefer the LOOK of pants and a belt.. but not as warm, gaps.. Ya, you can get the stuff that jacket snaps to pants, but naw..

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
This thin BMI 22 old fit guy, recently bought at a big discount, expensive Eddie Bauer Chair 6 Shell Pants with a higher waistline that have an integrated Velcro cloth belt through pant loops. Despite tightening the Velcro belt as much as possible, the pants kept sliding down some during my ski day, causing some lower leg bind up movement. Thus added a real nylon web belt through the pant loops that when tightened, totally keeps my ski pants in the same spot. The new ski pants are nicely loose enough to allow a thin polyester elastic base layer plus various warm mid layers. Below shows my warmest down mid layers.

David-down-012024b.jpg

Last edited:

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My one complaint about my Lofoten bibs is that they are a bit too heavy duty for my liking. I've also had Arcteryx Theta SV Gore-Tex Pro bibs which are probably going on 7-8 years old now -> wearing them is like I'm wearing nothing -> weight-wise and restrictive-wise.

Today I received some Dynafit Infinium pants ( Gore-Tex Infinium ), that have removable suspenders. They are also very lightweight and Medium is a great fit for me. They can still accommodate a ski boot, but gaiter is only elastic ( no velcro or snaps to open the gaiter more ) and the inside foot scuff pads are nowhere as burly as the Norrona or Arcteryx. My only complaint as that there is no small pocket to store my car key, or lip balm, a couple lozenges if need be. Not a deal breaker, I'm keeping them.

Rc231

Booting up
Skier
What fits like an old arcteryx theta? Mine are no longer waterproof but I’m having trouble finding a suitable replacement. I wear 33x34 relaxed fit Levi’s and size large thetas that fit perfectly. I have tried Patagonia powslayer (too baggy) mtn hardware bounded ridge (hard to move in) bc cottonwoods in med and large (too small and too big, non articulated fit) and Norrona lofoten non pro (tiny bit snug in the butt and the vent supper hits me wrong.)

I want a trim athletic fit with narrow cuffs but well cut so it’s easy to move in. Burly cuff fabric since I learned to ski when feet close together was the way to do it. Waterproof enough to ski in the rain (gore pro equivalent) since that happens more often than I would like. Bibs, 3 layer construction and some venting are they only critical features otherwise.
I want to try on the Norrona lofoten pro/plus if I can find one. What else? I will be in Whistler in 2 weeks so will do some shopping there for better selection.

Sponsor

Staff online