• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Recovering from a broken leg (March 2021)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
40:34 for a 10k is legit for any 49 year old, it takes a lot of effort to get back to those previous levels. I've done the same thing with some serious setbacks of my own - I chalk it up to being more dedicated and purposeful with the training rather than turning the clock back to my youth. Either way it's a win and I love hearing these stories from anyone. Life can deal out some harsh shit but you have to roll with it - you have no choice.

TS
T

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
I thought I'd provide a little update since it is 12 months since my last update.
  • I am back skiing again for the 23/24 season and using Carv as per the last few years. While it is early in the season and Carv changed their algorithm I have already surpassed last season's SkiIQ using the updated algorithm. 133 (2022/23) vs 139 (2023/24). My goal is to hit the 140+ level of Mountain Master and then I may treat myself to a new ski outfit, e.g. On-Yo-Ne or something.
  • I am spending much of my time skiing on 155cm Head e-SL skis which are an absolute blast for doing quick carving turns etc which for where I ski is perfect since the longest ski trail is only around 0.7 miles/1.1 km
  • I am back to running 6 miles/10km most days with a longer run at the weekend. I have also competed in a number of road races for the first time ever
    • I have jogged 2200 miles/3500 km during 2023
    • My 5km PB is now 18:47 minutes
    • My 10km PB is now 39:24 minutes
    • My 1/2 marathon PB is now 1:29:23
    • I ran the Sydney City to Surf race in 58:06 minutes
It's not all super fantastic though as:
  • My right leg/knee continue to have some level of discomfort, particularly when pushing hard on running/skiing etc.
  • My right shin is particularly sensitive to the point that if my kids/dog put even slight pressure on it in a couple of specific spots it is an 'Ow' moment, but other than that there is no sharp pain, the x-rays all show the bone healed, the surgeon/PT were all happy.
However, considering the incident, my age, etc I have been fortunate/lucky that it has not prevented me from following my passions, and in fact has focused me even more on improving my running/skiing.

Enjoy, and to anyone that is still recovering, remain positive, set goals, create healthy, sustainable habits and bit by bit you'll get there.

TheWombat.

Wombat_n.jpg

Pandita

Booting up
Skier
HI all:
Haven't been on in a while. Back in April 2022 I reported my broken and displaced Tiba and fibula fracture that required emergency surgery with a rod, plate, and screws to repair it. My recovery was very very long and by January 2023 my tibia had not healed so I had to have a second surgery at the end of January 2023. The ortho took out the old hardware and replaced with new IM that goes from my knee to ankel. This second surgery did the trick. It took all summer for some strength to return. My bionic leg, is definitely weaker than the right leg. I have returned to skiing but my strength and mobility are not the same as pre-injury

I think now my biggest struggle aside from strength and mobility my biggest struggle is the mental component. I am still afraid to go up the lift. I can only make it down green runs, which is really hard. I have reverted back to my wedge. I am able to teach beginners in the beginnger area but I just get this anxiety. Certain movements are still hard, which I recognize is due to having two surgeries and a serious injury.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to help manage the anxiety of returning to something you once really loved? It is a struggle.
Thanks

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It can certainly be difficulty. You basically have PTSD. I would say seek professional help. You can do it in your own but it takes much longer. Been there done that. All the best. :hug:

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
In other things in life I've found that teaching, like you're doing, has been helpful in my own breakthroughs. Sooner or later you're going to have to teach someone on a green and you'll have to be the stronger person. It's just one strategy that has worked for me and you're already doing it.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
HI all:
Haven't been on in a while. Back in April 2022 I reported my broken and displaced Tiba and fibula fracture that required emergency surgery with a rod, plate, and screws to repair it. My recovery was very very long and by January 2023 my tibia had not healed so I had to have a second surgery at the end of January 2023. The ortho took out the old hardware and replaced with new IM that goes from my knee to ankel. This second surgery did the trick. It took all summer for some strength to return. My bionic leg, is definitely weaker than the right leg. I have returned to skiing but my strength and mobility are not the same as pre-injury

I think now my biggest struggle aside from strength and mobility my biggest struggle is the mental component. I am still afraid to go up the lift. I can only make it down green runs, which is really hard. I have reverted back to my wedge. I am able to teach beginners in the beginnger area but I just get this anxiety. Certain movements are still hard, which I recognize is due to having two surgeries and a serious injury.
Anyone have any thoughts on how to help manage the anxiety of returning to something you once really loved? It is a struggle.
Thanks
I haven't had nearly the experience you have had, but I have had some struggles after my knee replacement. Yes, lots of mental issues start when you don't trust your body! As others have said, nothing wrong with looking into whatever help is needed there. One small bit of my story is that I had not accounted for the difference in my alignment caused by the surgery. I imagine you probably have some changes to your leg angles as well? Maybe maybe not, but have you been reassessed by a bootfitter since the surgeries? The TKR straightened my leg out a little bit and it turned out that the stuff in my old boot was no longer the right stuff, and was negatively affecting my skiing and it really freaked me out to be unable to do what I expected to do. It is getting better each year since, so that's good. But maybe make sure that you aren't also being handicapped by and old boot with a new leg.

Pandita

Booting up
Skier
I haven't had nearly the experience you have had, but I have had some struggles after my knee replacement. Yes, lots of mental issues start when you don't trust your body! As others have said, nothing wrong with looking into whatever help is needed there. One small bit of my story is that I had not accounted for the difference in my alignment caused by the surgery. I imagine you probably have some changes to your leg angles as well? Maybe maybe not, but have you been reassessed by a bootfitter since the surgeries? The TKR straightened my leg out a little bit and it turned out that the stuff in my old boot was no longer the right stuff, and was negatively affecting my skiing and it really freaked me out to be unable to do what I expected to do. It is getting better each year since, so that's good. But maybe make sure that you aren't also being handicapped by and old boot with a new leg.
I did. I now have rear entry ski boots. Helped so much. I am just soooo tentative. I even bought new skis last year, ones that were not overly dynamic. My legs and feet are very well supported in the boots. I appreciate the suggestion. :)

Pandita

Booting up
Skier
I thought I'd provide a little update since it is 12 months since my last update.
  • I am back skiing again for the 23/24 season and using Carv as per the last few years. While it is early in the season and Carv changed their algorithm I have already surpassed last season's SkiIQ using the updated algorithm. 133 (2022/23) vs 139 (2023/24). My goal is to hit the 140+ level of Mountain Master and then I may treat myself to a new ski outfit, e.g. On-Yo-Ne or something.
  • I am spending much of my time skiing on 155cm Head e-SL skis which are an absolute blast for doing quick carving turns etc which for where I ski is perfect since the longest ski trail is only around 0.7 miles/1.1 km
  • I am back to running 6 miles/10km most days with a longer run at the weekend. I have also competed in a number of road races for the first time ever
    • I have jogged 2200 miles/3500 km during 2023
    • My 5km PB is now 18:47 minutes
    • My 10km PB is now 39:24 minutes
    • My 1/2 marathon PB is now 1:29:23
    • I ran the Sydney City to Surf race in 58:06 minutes
It's not all super fantastic though as:
  • My right leg/knee continue to have some level of discomfort, particularly when pushing hard on running/skiing etc.
  • My right shin is particularly sensitive to the point that if my kids/dog put even slight pressure on it in a couple of specific spots it is an 'Ow' moment, but other than that there is no sharp pain, the x-rays all show the bone healed, the surgeon/PT were all happy.
However, considering the incident, my age, etc I have been fortunate/lucky that it has not prevented me from following my passions, and in fact has focused me even more on improving my running/skiing.

Enjoy, and to anyone that is still recovering, remain positive, set goals, create healthy, sustainable habits and bit by bit you'll get there.

TheWombat.

View attachment 219911
Wombat:
So glad you are recovering and recovered in many aspects. I second that sensitivity, my on the left leg. I am still struggling with getting speed in my walk. Prior to injury I would walk at a 3.5mph pace, and currently 2.6mph. I can walk distance and have done a few 10 mile walks and other shorter distances. I just have some stuggles getting faster and then there is the anxiety/fear.

Kudos to you on your accomplishments. Keep up your great work.

TS
T

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier

I'm not sure that my own approach helps, but I broke my leg on a black run called White Lightning, in slushy conditions - entirely my fault. I know the first ski season after breaking my leg I wasn't sure if I was mentally ready to go back on that specific slope. But once my leg had strengthened I made the decision to do it. From my perspective it was a 'face your fears' type thinking. And I made it down White Lightning carefully but without issue. Since then my skiing technique has improved and surpassed where it was before I broke my leg.

I do typically spend the majority of my time on the blue runs though as I am focused on drills/improving technique using Carv. I have found Carv helpful in keeping me focused more on technique improvement to the point that I don't have time to consider the negatives of my accident. e.g. if I have Carv reading out my edge angle to my headphones on every turn, it encourages me to work on higher edge angles. This season - for the same mild slope I have gone from 40 degrees edge angle to 60 degrees edge angle. This works for me as a focus point as I am hugely competitive in wanting to push/improve.

I would say that it is only really now in this ski season - 2.5 years later - that I feel that the majority of my strength and mobility has returned to the point where it is not causing me major issues for day to day skiing. If it was moguls or tough terrain I may still struggle a bit with leg mobility/strength.

However my situation is a little different than what you've gone through, so all I can really suggest is patience on the strength/mobility - it will improve if you keep with PT type exercises, mobility/strength exercises. For the anxiety it might be a question of seeing a therapist, or just keep getting on the snow and setting small incremental goals, or keep with the teaching etc.

Good luck

TheWombat

Attachments

• IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1489.PNG
    IMG_1489.PNG
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
TS
T

TheWombat

Putting on skis
Skier
Wombat:
So glad you are recovering and recovered in many aspects. I second that sensitivity, my on the left leg. I am still struggling with getting speed in my walk. Prior to injury I would walk at a 3.5mph pace, and currently 2.6mph. I can walk distance and have done a few 10 mile walks and other shorter distances. I just have some stuggles getting faster and then there is the anxiety/fear.

Kudos to you on your accomplishments. Keep up your great work.

Thanks - for the strength/mobility it just takes time. Keep focused on mobility/stretching/strength exercises. The improvements will be slow and steady, but you'll look back at some point and realize some good progress has been made.

Sponsor

Staff online