• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Renoun skis

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is an interesting review of Renoun 98 mm ski over at Blister gear reviews.

Basically, the (very experienced) skiers found the ski to me very, very stiff, almost impossible to bend into turns for the great majority of potential skiers. That's not the whole story, or the end of the story, but that was a first impression.

I know some of the narrower skis are popular in this community, so I thought I would post some thoughts/questions.

The technology is interesting. I did some quick research about non-Newtonian polymers; there's some good simple information on Wikipedia. Basically, it seems like these substances change viscosity as shear forces increase. If you compress them or stretch them slowly they stay compliant; if you compress them or stretch them very quickly they become more rigid. There also appear to be other substances that do the opposite (become less viscous as shear forces increase). They are actually pretty common, and include everyday substances, like cornstarch and blood, as well as materials used in wide range of industrial and other applications.

In this case, it seems as if the ski has been designed so that, as forces on the ski increase, the shear forces on the polymer increase, and the polymer becomes more resistant to deformation, making the ski more rigid and possibly more damp. That theory appears to be supported by your experience; the ski is lightweight and hand flexes soft to moderate, but, the faster you go, the more resistant it is to deformation, or, more simply, the harder it is to bend, or, even more simply, the harder it is to turn. It sounds like, in the case of the 98 mm skis, it's too hard to turn, at least for the great majority of people who will ever ride this ski.

Here are some questions I had about the technology in general:

What are the actual mechanical properties of this polymer? As you increase shear forces on the polymer, how does the resistance to deformation change? Is the change linear, progressive, regressive, and so forth. In the case of the 98 mm skis, it almost seems like there is an "on" and "off" with the ski, i.e. at slow speeds, or not skiing at all, it remains soft, but then, with even a little speed, it quickly ramps up to very stiff. This could probably be adjusted by changing the composition, amount, and placement, of the polymer, to make it more or less progressive, and so on.

Then there is the whole question of how the polymer interacts with the other materials in the ski, and the ski shape. If the other materials were modified, or if the side cut, tip shape, and rocker profile were changed, would the ski initiate turns more easily?

As i said, the narrower more piste-oriented skis from Renoun seem popular, so some combinations of the right polymer, the right other materials, and the right shape, seem to work well.

One thing is for sure: if these polymers become common in skis, then this will introduce another huge variable to ski design. It's hard enough to understand how traditional materials, side cut, tip and tail shape, and rocker profile effect ski performance, to say nothing of adding different degrees of stiffness at different speeds.

I can't imagine that other manufacturers, especially the large manufacturers, aren't experimenting with this technology.

Any ideas?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm one of those who found them woefully hard to bend/turn. Throw in the shape, particularly of the tail, and all I could do is envision my knees getting ripped apart before I got to the bottom. That being said, I could feel the dampening working.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yesterday I read the review and listened to the podcasts, and am looking forward to hearing today's update after his sound sleep.

His discussion of how they feel at speed resonated strongly (no pun intended) with my experience on the 184's, as do the reports of feeling hard to bend when on edge in hardpack; I plan to post my full evaluation later after I have time on the 178's that I'm trading them for. There are definitely some tradeoffs, but the hype about how well they handle variations in conditions and how they seem to get quieter at speed ain't just hype.

A google search for "dilatant fluid damping" will return some helpful results, e.g., Smart Viscous Dampers utilizing Shear Thickening Fluids with Silica Nanoparticles and Review on shear thickening fluids and applications. The first one I found particularly interesting in trying to understand how I might expect these skis to react.

I plan to give them a thrashing at Nubs Nob this weekend. More will be revealed.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
And I'm one I LOVE the Z-90's - my avatar is my turns on them on some soft springy snow. I am not a light weight have been skiing forever they bend fine for me.
I don't like Volkl's because of their stiffness Line added Rock maple to their ladies skis and they are like 2x4's to me, they don't bend and aren't playful like the Z90's are for me

yes I can ski on anything, these skis are a dream ski for me. Maybe coming from old straight skis and skiing skis as ski technology changed is why I find this ski so stable and easy to handle?I have a quiver that is collecting dust.. Older model Black Pearls, Atomic Elysians, Atomic Cloud 11's (I still take the 11's out for hardpack) but the Z-90's seem to be my 1 ski quiver this winter. I keep taking them where I think they won't work.. hasn't happened yet. From groomers to piles of powder Z-90's have been great.. I love the Zoom factor, and I do make my short quick turns and big GS Turns.

Yesterday at Gore it was hard packed, slickery on top and seas of corn on the bottom. For me they really excel in chopped up snow. Their HDT (Hyper damping technology) works fabulously and I don't feel any change except for a smooooth ride.

Yesterday As the sun was going down and corn was seizing back up the Z-90's were a dream (PS: I have wrecked MCL and bashed knee from fall on concrete in ski boots yes yikes) these skis do not bounce, throw me or cause the chatter and "UMPH" I'd be getting with any of my other skis plowing thru the piles, I'm wowed at how good they are cutting thru the 'gack" my knees/body REALLY enjoy the stable ride. My knees do not hurt skiing! (all that matters)

No ski is for everyone and why I think demoing is so important, I love how technology is making skier better and easier!!

Add a plus 1 for me in the "I love them category" My Z-9o's are 165cm and perform flawlessly for me!
I haven't tried the 98's I am interested in 103's that I saw mentioned on Renoun Website.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Renoun has a following on Pugski with the majority of skiers who have been on them have been believers and backed that belief with purchased them. As far as other manufacturers experimenting with what @Cyrus Schenck is doing, of course they are and I know of more than a few that have bought some to see what makes them tick. Cyrus now has a patent for this application is skis, he has a unique product. I skied the upcoming Endurance 98 at Snowbasin in 10" +/- of snow and the Z90 yesterday at Alta and both were ideal skis for the conditions they were on.

Freddo Bumps

Booting up
Skier
All the Renoun reviews are how I found this site, so thanks to all.

I’m very interested in your experience moving down in size, Chilehed. I’ve been most interested in the Endurance 98 since first discovering Renoun, but have been hesitant regarding size and haven’t been able to get on a demo. Size charts put me on the 178 (5’11, 160 lbs), but I’m even more interested in demoing after reading Blister’s review yesterday.

Thanks to the generosity of a great member here, I was able to get on a Z90 and confirm that that’s not the ski I’m looking for.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug I'm pretty stoked the Citadel is now out there. Think you will have one in your stable anytime soon? If so, I have a head to head request. The Citadel vs the DPS Alchemist 106 ogsmile

Not sure if you can answer this now but since you mentioned the upcoming Endurance 98 and Z90 can you confirm or deny if there are any changes in chamber or the tail.

@AmyPJ just curious if you have skied anything in the Kastle MX series and how you would compare it with the Z90? How you feel on the Z90 is pretty much how I felt the 1st time I skied an MX. I think it was last season someone asked about the tails and I commented that for my initial 4 days on my Z90's that I did feel a difference in the tail. It never felt hooky or anything like that. I just knew it was there. Not sure how to describe it. I hate to use words like heavy or not releasing because I don't believe that was it. I felt it more at the start of each day and as the day progressed I noticed it less. But after say the 1st week it was all good. I also commented on never feeling like I was being pulled into the turn as others had described. Maybe I adapted my skiing to the Z90's?

I probably have 95+ days on my Z90's now and I'm still happy.

Last edited:
TS
B

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi Philpug,

Now that's curious. You have two people--you and JE over at Blister--who are both extremely experienced and skilled, and have probably tried hundreds if not thousands of skis. And it appears that the two of you had very different experiences with the Endurance 98. You love the skis and found them easy to turn, while JE seemed to think they were nearly the stiffest and most unyielding ski he's ever been on. He did mentioned that the version he had might be changed somewhat before production--perhaps you rode a newer modified version? Or maybe it's just a case of, "Different strokes for different folks?" But it does raise questions--I'm not suggesting bias or anything like that. I just find it interesting. Try before you buy....

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Have 131 days on my Endurance 98’s with nimble, lively and playful coming more to mind to describe this most unusual ski. My new Mantra and Faction Dictator’s are stiffer than the Renouns.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi Philpug,

Now that's curious. You have two people--you and JE over at Blister--who are both extremely experienced and skilled, and have probably tried hundreds if not thousands of skis. And it appears that the two of you had very different experiences with the Endurance 98. You love the skis and found them easy to turn, while JE seemed to think they were nearly the stiffest and most unyielding ski he's ever been on. He did mentioned that the version he had might be changed somewhat before production--perhaps you rode a newer modified version? Or maybe it's just a case of, "Different strokes for different folks?" But it does raise questions--I'm not suggesting bias or anything like that. I just find it interesting. Try before you buy....
Actaully Jonathan's view of the Endurance are not that different than mine, while I like the ski, i don't love it like I do the Z90. From the first time we started testing E98, I immediately reached out to Cyrus and talked about the strengths and short comings of the ski (as we do with many sksi) and we discussed the evolutions. I am not sure which version Jonathan was on but we have had soem versions and sizes that jsut were not balanced skis ie the E98 in a 168 and the Z90 in a 157. In defense of Renoun, there are many cases when sizes are just not scaled right be it flex or width or both in a size run....and again, it is not just Renoun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug I'm pretty stoked the Citadel is now out there. Think you will have one in your stable anytime soon? If so, I have a head to head request. The Citadel vs the DPS Alchemist 106 ogsmile
I am usre I will see a Citadel in our stable soon.
Not sure if you can answer this now but since you mentioned the upcoming Endurance 98 and Z90 can you confirm or deny if there are any changes in chamber or the tail.
@Cyrus Schenck still has me under an embargo with the new E98. :(

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

@AmyPJ just curious if you have skied anything in the Kastle MX series and how you would compare it with the Z90? How you feel on the Z90 is pretty much how I felt the 1st time I skied an MX. I think it was last season someone asked about the tails and I commented that for my initial 4 days on my Z90's that I did feel a difference in the tail. It never felt hooky or anything like that. I just knew it was there. Not sure how to describe it. I hate to use words like heavy or not releasing because I don't believe that was it. I felt it more at the start of each day and as the day progressed I noticed it less. But after say the 1st week it was all good. I also commented on never feeling like I was being pulled into the turn as others had described. Maybe I adapted my skiing to the Z90's?

I probably have 95+ days on my Z90's now and I'm still happy.
I have not skied the MX series. I do have an LX 82 that I absolutely love.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi Philpug,
Now that's curious. You have two people--you and JE over at Blister--who are both extremely experienced and skilled, and have probably tried hundreds if not thousands of skis. And it appears that the two of you had very different experiences with the Endurance 98. You love the skis and found them easy to turn, while JE seemed to think they were nearly the stiffest and most unyielding ski he's ever been on...... Or maybe it's just a case of, "Different strokes for different folks?" But it does raise questions--I'm not suggesting bias or anything like that. I just find it interesting...

It is very interesting, they are unique as JE at Blister says. I spent a day on a Renoun last week and I concur about the interesting. These skis can be both compliant and easy to turn and the stiffest and most unyielding ski you have ever been on. I experienced both myself. In the morning I was pushing the ski very hard in carved turns and they were the stiffest skis I have ever been on. At times they were 2 x 4's. When doing fast GS turns, I actually really liked the stiffness, there are real benefits to stiff, damp skis. In the afternoon I stopped pushing them, I was a little tired, and changed my style to more cruiser and pivoting. And then I experienced a moderate stiff ski that was very easy to pivot and turn.

I deduced the ski reacts to how much you flex it. How hard, how much bend, and how fast you try to flex it. I could feel this after serious hand flexing to figure out what was going on. The ski will be sensitive to a person's weight, and style. To put it another way, if you are skiing a power style or a finesse style. Also how much force you can generate due to body weight, technique, and speed. The more the flex, the stiffer it gets. I don't think that vibration frequency is a major factor, but that is more a guess on my part.

There are other factors in play here. The amount and placement of the HDT is different from one model to the next, and probably from one length to the next. So this will make one ski be different from another, as it is the combination of HDT and the skis layup that dictate its performance. Its certainly not just about the HDT, its one of the players.

The other major factor that dictates the skis performance is their shape, obviously, and that appeals a lot to personal preference in skis. All ski companies are constantly tweaking their shapes and layups to make a ski perform better and better.

As a big guy, when I got the skis into moguls and tried to carve my way into, through, up and over, the skis turned into 2 x 4's. When I adopted a pivot through the trough style, the skis became compliant. It was confusing skiing these at first, but it is slowly making sense. Also, someone who weighs 100 lbs less than me skied these skis and never got them into 2 x 4 mode. He didn't have the weight to flex them to the degree I do.

My 2 cents for what its worth

Last edited:

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Actaully Jonathan's view of the Endurance are not that different than mine, while I like the ski, i don't love it like I do the Z90. From the first time we started testing E98, I immediately reached out to Cyrus and talked about the strengths and short comings of the ski (as we do with many sksi) and we discussed the evolutions. I am not sure which version Jonathan was on but we have had soem versions and sizes that jsut were not balanced skis ie the E98 in a 168 and the Z90 in a 157. In defense of Renoun, there are many cases when sizes are just not scaled right be it flex or width or both in a size run....and again, it is not just Renoun.

"Z90 in a 157" - I am having trouble with my Z90 in a 157. The base of the ski is wavy and I can't track in a straight line. I plan to exchange or return the skis this week as I've only skied them 4 days. I am certain that I am not getting the full Renoun experience. I wonder if I should try a 165 since it is not an outlier size.

I'm currently on a 162 Nordica Wildfire which is 105 underfoot and has an 18m turning radius. I think I should have no trouble handling a 165 Renoun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"Z90 in a 157" - I am having trouble with my Z90 in a 157. The base of the ski is wavy and I can't track in a straight line. I plan to exchange or return the skis this week as I've only skied them 4 days. I am certain that I am not getting the full Renoun experience. I wonder if I should try a 165 since it is not an outlier size.

I'm currently on a 162 Nordica Wildfire which is 105 underfoot and has an 18m turning radius. I think I should have no trouble handling a 165 Renoun.
You skied our 157's and did not experience theses issues, so I am assuming that it is the pair that ou have. I would recommed that you do not step up to the 165, it is way too big of a ski for you and not just 4cm longer than the 161 Nordica's but a sigificantly longer running surface for a bigger skier.

Last edited:

Sponsor