• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Road biking 2018

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So my 853 frame..silver brazed lugless..has a 28.6 downtube..actually a top tube..I find it whippy..called for price to get it replaced with a 31.75 tube..$350 for the repair, $100 for silver brazing and $350 for powder coating. Ouch.. So I'm going to continue riding the whippy bike.. :roflmao:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So my 853 frame..silver brazed lugless..has a 28.6 downtube..actually a top tube..I find it whippy..called for price to get it replaced with a 31.75 tube..$350 for the repair, $100 for silver brazing and $350 for powder coating. Ouch.. So I'm going to continue riding the whippy bike.. :roflmao:

:useless:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Im running the schwalbe pro one 28s f/r which sot at 32 at 65/68 and think thats pretty dialed for where i ride. My avg speed is between 18-19 with climbs and 20-23 on rolling so i dont know if there's a significant aero penalty to go much wider since most studies show aero penalties start at about 18mph

I dont see any advantage in different tires unless you are limited by frame.

Now look at my idea the other way - keep the aero-reasonable front from the regular setup and take the rear all the way to the frame limit. The advantage is to get more vibration absorption on the heavily loaded wheel while keeping a) obstacle encounter b) front aero c) contact patch the same as your previously optimal.

The one bike I really want that on (Propel) is the one that won't take a fatty in back. :(

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Now look at my idea the other way - keep the aero-reasonable front from the regular setup and take the rear all the way to the frame limit. The advantage is to get more vibration absorption on the heavily loaded wheel while keeping a) obstacle encounter b) front aero c) contact patch the same as your previously optimal.

The one bike I really want that on (Propel) is the one that won't take a fatty in back. :(

Oh, I agree, I am pretty much at max on the Emonda SLR, on my Moots, I am running 38's (measured) and that's also about maxed. those Compass Bon Jons Roll Fast!

scott43

Skier
TBH the rates quoted didn't sound unreasonable. Do they do S&S couplers?

#toomanyprojectideas
They do. Price is what I expected really. Not saying they don't deserve it, I'm not quibbling on their charges, it's more I'm not prepared to put $800 into the bike! :)

scott43

Skier
Not much to look at I don't think..you can see here they're the same diameter. I sent this off to the builder as the head tube may have to go as well. Lovely brazing and finish though..
DSC_0013.JPG

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
If you have any taller buddies, I have a not-whippy 61x57 Nashbar racer frame (Tange 2, 126) that's begging for a cheap powdercoat and a junkyard racer or fixie build.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have mentioned before I am doing Cycle Oregon in September, which starts in 2 weeks. Today my 20 yo distance running son and I along with another cycling buddy who is doing Cycle O did a ride out of Salem, OR. Here is my Strava screenshot.

76DAB7DE-7CC2-4F60-B65F-7E701D559D76.jpeg
The longest I have ridden in my 2 season ride biking career as well as the most vertical. I think I am as ready as I can get for Cycle O. I plan to start a trip report thread for it when I start. Yes I am tired and I think I will sleep well tonight!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have mentioned before I am doing Cycle Oregon in September, which starts in 2 weeks. Today my 20 yo distance running son and I along with another cycling buddy who is doing Cycle O did a ride out of Salem, OR. Here is my Strava screenshot.

View attachment 52096
The longest I have ridden in my 2 season ride biking career as well as the most vertical. I think I am as ready as I can get for Cycle O. I plan to start a trip report thread for it when I start. Yes I am tired and I think I will sleep well tonight!
My sister is riding it too. She's done it a few times before, and it sounds really fun. She has been really busy at work and hasn't been able to ride as much as she'd like, so she's quite worried about day 2. That does seem like the toughest day. It looks like you're ready. The ride itself will get you into even better shape. Have fun, and I look forward to the ride report!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

View attachment 52096

GREAT JOB! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been in distress since discovery a crack on my top tube mid May, absolutely no idea how it happened. Trek would not honor a warranty replacement, just loyalty discount on a new frame but Silque frame is no longer available. Domane with different geometry and hideous color was unpalatable. The alternative was to send to Calfee for repair which would take many weeks.

IMG_6367.JPG

I dragged my feet with indecision, riding my spare aluminum entry level Synapse in the meanwhile. Gosh, I really wanted to ride the Silque for STP, Seattle to Portland, mid-July although questioned the safety. Perhaps with a leap of faith, everything worked out fine riding STP, despite some mishaps the two days prior to the event which almost made me quite... then I took the Silque into a shop to dissemble and ship the frame to Calfee for repair. Now I have a bike with a scar...

IMG_7389.JPG

However, the imperfection is growing on me. It now has...character! Although I've gotten a bit out of riding shape the past few weeks, I'm happy to be reunited with my baby.

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
WOW! I know some Trek frames have lifetime warranties. I guess this one didn't ???? I'd be pissed for sure.

A friend with a carbon frame Trek MTB and her friend with a road bike both spoke highly of their replacement warranty experience with cracked frame. But I actually had 2 different shops 250 miles apart help me file the warranty claim, including someone who personally called Trek to speak on my behalf... to no avail.

In life you win some and lose some. I won't be buying another Trek but I will continue to enjoy this bike for years to come.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been in distress since discovery a crack on my top tube mid May, absolutely no idea how it happened. Trek would not honor a warranty replacement, just loyalty discount on a new frame but Silque frame is no longer available. Domane with different geometry and hideous color was unpalatable. The alternative was to send to Calfee for repair which would take many weeks.

View attachment 52189

I dragged my feet with indecision, riding my spare aluminum entry level Synapse in the meanwhile. Gosh, I really wanted to ride the Silque for STP, Seattle to Portland, mid-July although questioned the safety. Perhaps with a leap of faith, everything worked out fine riding STP, despite some mishaps the two days prior to the event which almost made me quite... then I took the Silque into a shop to dissemble and ship the frame to Calfee for repair. Now I have a bike with a scar...

View attachment 52190

However, the imperfection is growing on me. It now has...character! Although I've gotten a bit out of riding shape the past few weeks, I'm happy to be reunited with my baby.

I've heard good things about Spyder Composites repair in Scott's Valley CA. A local company for me. Heard something about a 2 week turn around.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/spyder-composites-scotts-valley
Hope that might help.

TS
Rainbow Jenny

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've heard good things about Spyder Composites repair in Scott's Valley CA. A local company for me. Heard something about a 2 week turn around.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/spyder-composites-scotts-valley
Hope that might help.

Thanks, Calfee is also near Santa Cruz. I consulted bike shops from Reno, Santa Clara, LA, to Seattle. They all directed me to Calfee. It was a 2 week turn around with Calfee, but with shipping, dissemble and reassemble, the total time was closer to 4-5 weeks.

btw, @Plai, did I run into you and your better half around Sibo at Squaw in the spring?

Sponsor