• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rossignol Black Ops Gamer 118, the best powder/crud ski being made? (at least for lighter and some medium sized skiers)

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
The 190 if I spend a lot of time here? I used to spend a lot of time skiing crud but I tend to ski mostly untracked with just a few crud runs mixed in these days.

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Man, how neat. Wow.
Beautiful glade skiing!

Lordy, the Katana 190 over the 184 for sure. And this ski if you want a relatively narrow powder/crud ski.
It would be both playful and directional, fun.

But lots of other skis come into play, with your situation, as you know, even leaving out really fat ones.
Guess I might rather be on an excellent, slightly higher floater (that is also incidentally a good resort powder/crud ski).

To me, it would for starters be the Black Ops 118/186, or the K2 Pettitor 118 when it gets deeper, if my knee is okay that day. (It's heavier.)
But a higher floater might be better, without need so much for a crud ski, seems like.
(And a more pure powder emphasis option might be even better, like those customized Folsom Rapture 121/192
skis that Blistergear's Alaska tester, Paul Forward, likes so much.)

The Pettitor would work for sure at your size, I have to guess (mounted at +3 to +4, maybe). But it is no longer made. And it's heavy.

Not sure if you are too big for the Black Ops 118 - you have maybe 30 lbs on me. You might be okay. But it might be close;
I have to think no better than 50-50 odds. If it works, there's nothing better, at resorts.

Again, not sure because of the weight difference. But in those glades I'd guess you'd be happier on the float of the
Head Kore 117/longest length 191; and/or the float/drift of the Dynastar M Free 118/189. (Big guys like both skis.)

Wow again.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
Thanks. Greg hooked me up with a black ops 118s so I guess I’ll see. I’m usually more like 170-175lbs but put on some lbs this summer. Hopefully it will melt away with some skiing.

mount on the line? Behind?

I typically ski 125-128 wide here (protests, pescados, cease and desists) but I keep thinking of trying something narrower. I brought my MX98s up there a couple times last year and loved them but it was tiring. The weight of the v.werks intrigues me. It is a drive so I usually go bell to bell. I used to ski DPS 112rp here like many of my friends but the eye wanders.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
mount on the line? Behind?
Only time you should be close to the line is if you’re small and “spinning to win” in the park. Lol

-2cm min for a smaller directional skier(160lbs or so) and then -2.5cm around the 175lbs range, -3cm to -3.5cm for 200lbs plus as rough guidelines.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just saw someone on TGR with 184cm Sender Free 110 brand new in plastic for $525 plus shipping.

SpeedyKevin

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just saw someone on TGR with 184cm Sender Free 110 brand new in plastic for $525 plus shipping.

thought about it, opting to go with the 191 mounted slightly back. Already got a CT3 184 for the shorter ski experience

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
thought about it, opting to go with the 191 mounted slightly back. Already got a CT3 184 for the shorter ski experience
You are ending up getting a set then? Love!!!
Think you’ll like the 191cm Sender Free 110 more than the 190cm CT 3.0 as it will have lighter swing weight, a bit more forgiving tips/tails yet will still be very stable.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Got one of the SportChek deal Blackops 118 skis mounted up today with Attacks again. This pair is closer to each other in weight along with being noticeably lighter overall than my first set. Think they will still be plenty damp at 2440gr/2466gr but easier to manage than my 2520gr/2480gr set.

Had them stone ground on Corbett’s Wintersteiger Jupiter with extra passes to flatten the bases(touch base high) and reset the base bevels. Complete hand tune and wax along with extra lube on the binding heel track and even ceramic coated the topsheets again. Excited to try them out!

IMG_3567.jpeg

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At the Loveland demo day this past Saturday, at the Rossignol tent there was a clear division: the lighter weight/shorter skiers
swore by the Black Ops 118/186 (for most of them moved forward a touch) as their favorite ski since it came out - big smiles;
and the really heavier/taller skiers did not like the 118 so much, too much fore-aft instability [for them] - but now loved the longest
Rossi Sender Free 110/191 as "a better all around ski" [for them], with better edgehold and fore-aft stability,
and for some of them, their daily driver. These latter, heavier folks - including the top rep - were hoping for an even wider version
of this same 110/191 ski!

LOL. Dang, I enjoy these Rossi guys.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
One confusion I still have is that Blister places the Rossi Sender 110/191 Free in the category of "All-Mountain Freestyle" skis,
whereas the Volkl V-Werks Katana 112/190 is in "All-Mountain Chargers," and the Salomon Blank 112/194 is in "Powder Skis - More Playful,"
along with the Rossignol Blackops 118/186. Seems like the first three of these could be in the same category, directly comparable.
Of those three, the best in powder may well be the 190 V-Werks Katana 112 - dunno again.
For the Blank and Sender 110 you have to remember they reviewed the shorter lengths. I believe for the Blank at least that would make a difference.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
For the Blank and Sender 110 you have to remember they reviewed the shorter lengths. I believe for the Blank at least that would make a difference.
Agreed and I think the powder float, stability and carving performance will be hugely improved when they try the Sender Free 110 with the mount moved -2cm to 3cm behind the rec line. Tough to compare similar width skis in things like powder float when one ski is mounted -8cm from center and the other is mounted -3.4cm back!

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, for sure.
I've posted about this specifically, repeatedly. :)
I've not skied the 110 Free Sender Rossi, but the reps have told me this difference is decisive:
they don't want to ski the shorter ones, and the longest is a favorite or a daily driver for more than half
of those reps (the bigger ones especially).

For the other two skis in question, the longest Blank is also decisively different from the 186 version, which for me sucks.

And with the longest (19x) 112 V Werks Katana, the difference is not quite as great, but it is still decisive. Like the two
versions of the old Moment Bibby Pros, both VW Katana lengths are fun and good. But having skied both,
I would no longer want to ski the V Werks Katana in 184 much, unless I wanted to absolutely loaf, or
if there were less than four inches, on mild and even terrain; while the same ski in 19x is one of my favorite
skis ever - only the Black Ops 118 and the Pettitor can displace it, but not in all situations.
Agreed and I think the powder float, stability and carving performance will be hugely improved when they try the Sender Free 110 with the mount moved -2cm to 3cm behind the rec line. Tough to compare similar width skis in things like powder float when one ski is mounted -8cm from center and the other is mounted -3.4cm back!
You don't specify which length Sender Free 110 you are talking about moving back, or if it's both; but
more than likely, for most, the 184(83?) version, just guessing. For the longer one, the style and size
of the skier would determine whether to move back, forward or stay at the rec line. The main rep (6'2" and 215)
says he's either at rec line or one cm back (big and directional). But could go two back.

For me, at 150 5'10", I'll try the rec line, but might end up as much as plus 2 cm.

(That same rep said the smaller guys on the Rossi rep crew, guys as small as 5'6" 130 lbs or so,
just looking at them, are almost certain to move forward some, on that longest ski,
maybe plus 1 or 2, he said.

But they just smiled big at me, meaning they might even go forward farther.)

Yes, I agree, the rec mount point is critical for the intended use envisioned and styled by the prototype testers.
Also critical is their size.
For other styles or uses of skiing, that mount point often needs to change - IF the ski is flexible that way.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yeah, for sure.
I've posted about this specifically, repeatedly. :)
I've not skied the 110 Free Sender Rossi, but the reps have told me this difference is decisive:
they don't want to ski the shorter ones, and the longest is a favorite or a daily driver for more than half
of those reps (the bigger ones especially).

For the other two skis in question, the longest Blank is also decisively different from the 186 version, which for me sucks.

And with the longest (19x) 112 V Werks Katana, the difference is not quite as great, but it is still decisive. Like the two
versions of the old Moment Bibby Pros, both VW Katana lengths are fun and good. But having skied both,
I would no longer want to ski the V Werks Katana in 184 much, unless I wanted to absolutely loaf, or
if there were less than four inches, on mild and even terrain; while the same ski in 19x is one of my favorite
skis ever - only the Black Ops 118 and the Pettitor can displace it, but not in all situations.

You don't specify which length Sender Free 110 you are talking about moving back, or if it's both; but
more than likely, for most, the 184(83?) version, just guessing. For the longer one, the style and size
of the skier would determine whether to move back, forward or stay at the rec line. The main rep (6'2" and 215)
says he's either at rec line or one cm back (big and directional). But could go two back.

For me, at 150 5'10", I'll try the rec line, but might end up as much as plus 2 cm.

(That same rep said the smaller guys on the Rossi rep crew, guys as small as 5'6" 130 lbs or so,
just looking at them, are almost certain to move forward some, on that longest ski,
maybe plus 1 or 2, he said.

But they just smiled big at me, meaning they might even go forward farther.)

Yes, I agree, the rec mount point is critical for the intended use envisioned and styled by the prototype testers.
Also critical is their size.
For other styles or uses of skiing, that mount point often needs to change - IF the ski is flexible that way.
Would agree with all of that and think I’d start a person of your size on the 184cm at -2cm and factory recommended on the 191cm on the Sender Free 110.
Those at Blister and a few reviews online are sometimes skiing the 184cm at recommended and they are directional skiers larger than 160-170lbs skiing it on rec line. They of course are finding it “skis short” and not as good float or stability as they thought but it would be transformed by moving the mount back -2cm to -3cm.
Or just move up to the 191cm at rec for a ski that is a good compromise of stable and playful.

The 184cm is only 181.5cm tape measure so should be a good ski for even smaller skiers but average skiers need to move that mount back for compatible float to other skis in its width range.
I think the 184cm version mounted -3cm will be a blast in the trees and in the Springtime at smaller hills. Bigger days or hills and the 190cm CT 3.0 or BO 118 will come out!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Had both pairs of my BO 118 including the heavier pair I’m currently selling to see if I could notice any difference in swing weight etc in my basement “ski hill”. Lol
The right ski(Blackops 118 on the tailis the one that’s 80gr different and it definitely felt lighter swinging it around. The “left” were close in weight so felt no difference there at all.

Swapping to the Sender Free 110, they feel light as a feather whipping them around yet still have that Blackops, damp feel when slamming them down on the ground.

Could see them eventually just swapping out the Blackops 118 plastic spacers with the Airtip ones but running the rubber still up overtop of them. Get a bit of weight savings and reduced swing weight yet it shouldn’t effect the damp, rubber feel of them.
Kinda wished they just did that with the Sender Free 110 too but the rubber on those does still run up into the tips/tails and down into the cambered part of the ski.

IMG_3572.jpeg

TS
S

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For me it was day twelve yesterday, fewer than usual, but all on those WROD or close to WRO Deathes, at different areas.
(Still just a few runs open at each - many of them sketchy now, a step backwards).

But a few of the days sure were great, including on those CT 1.0s. (In the Rockies, you know.)

Sponsor