• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Same model bindings on all pairs of skis?

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Thanks for all the advice and the recommendation for the STH2. I pulled the trigger today--figured I couldn't go wrong for $142. I definitely needed a little retail therapy today.

Money may not be able to buy happiness--but it can buy a ski pass.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for all the advice and the recommendation for the STH2. I pulled the trigger today--figured I couldn't go wrong for $142. I definitely needed a little retail therapy today.

Money may not be able to buy happiness--but it can buy a ski pass.

My only knock against the Sth2 was that it I had to buy a new jig. This was the first tome Salomon changed their hole pattern on a Driver since the 957 in 1989.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Have about 8 - 10 pairs of Marker royals (griffon/jester/squire) in the family. They are a pain to step in, especially the squire. something to do with the pivot point. Gave away the 2 pairs we had.
Lately we have been using Tyrolia attacks 13 & 16s. Have about 6 pairs mounted. Really nice bindings. Easy to step in, Generally feels less chunky than the riyals.
Funny, Marker had such a bad reputation for pre-release but that is NOT an issue with the Royal collection. I have a small BSL so its not easy for me to step into the Squire or Griffon, but there is still a following for that binding series.
At this time I have Head/Tyrolia, Look and Sth2 13s on my skis.

Thanks for the tip. I generally buy from evo.com so that's where I was heading to look.
FWIW, Pugski.com has developed a relationship with a couple shops that may be worth talking to about gear.
@Gerry Rhoades from SkiBoot RX, or @SkiEssentials may have some opportunities for you on product like bindings.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
FWIW, Pugski.com has developed a relationship with a couple shops that may be worth talking to about gear.
@Gerry Rhoades from SkiBoot RX, or @SkiEssentials may have some opportunities for you on product like bindings.[/QUOTE]

We usually have some killer prices on past season bindings. Definitely check out SkiEssentials.com, or feel free to give us a call and our customer service guys can help find the right binding at the right price!!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Gerry Rhoades from SkiBoot RX, or @SkiEssentials may have some opportunities for you on product like bindings.

We usually have some killer prices on past season bindings. Definitely check out SkiEssentials.com, or feel free to give us a call and our customer service guys can help find the right binding at the right price!![/QUOTE]

Ski essentials are great guys to deal with

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

We usually have some killer prices on past season bindings. Definitely check out SkiEssentials.com, or feel free to give us a call and our customer service guys can help find the right binding at the right price!![/QUOTE]
Got my husband's AAAttack 13's from SkiEssentials for a whopping $119!

This is an interesting thread because bindings are such an overlooked, yet obviously very important part of the whole ski experience. It's funny, my Sambas have Head/Tyrolia Peak 12's on them (thanks to Phil) and I've often commented I just feel more connected to the snow on those than on, say, my Marker Squires that are on my Black Pearls.

How do system bindings play into this kind of stuff? I bought a used pair of Kastle LX82's that come with a system binding. Haven't skied them yet. Still a good binding?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I sell skis to a customer, they go over lots and lots of information on the skis themselves, but when it comes to the bindings, they either...
  • Trust me (or whoever the salesperson is)
  • Want the binding to look good on the ski.
  • Want the bindings that their buddy has (usually a park kid who wants a binding that is waaaaay out of reality for him)

In most cases its up to us to be knowledgeable about what we're putting a customer on.

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
All three pairs of my current skis have Griffins on them. I even have griffin schizos on my gotamas. I guess I'm missing out on something? I've never had any issues stepping in or out of the bindings in any situation. Pole whack the boot, click, whack, click, ski.
My next pair of skis will be a pair front side carvers to compliment my soft snow do anything gotamas and thin day do anything soul riders. Maybe I'll try a different binding as well. Thinking about head magnum or rally and they have integrated bindings, which I don't really care for.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
All three pairs of my current skis have Griffins on them. I even have griffin schizos on my gotamas. I guess I'm missing out on something? I've never had any issues stepping in or out of the bindings in any situation. Pole whack the boot, click, whack, click, ski.
My next pair of skis will be a pair front side carvers to compliment my soft snow do anything gotamas and thin day do anything soul riders. Maybe I'll try a different binding as well. Thinking about head magnum or rally and they have integrated bindings, which I don't really care for.

I just don't know. But each Marker (Griffon and Squire - I've had both) I've had has been successively more difficult. After the shop adjusted the Griffons on my Sick Day 110s for my new boot, I couldn't even get my boot in there. We backed the screw off a tiny bit, but since then I feel like it's released in a couple of situations where that should not have happened - so I'm going to take them to the shop to figure it out. Maybe the mount of the binding needs to be unusually precise, and I've had bad luck with the people who mounted my bindings? :huh:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It depends on your BSL. Those with bigger BSL tend to have no issue.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Jason Robertson

Better than a 35 mph stick through the liver!
Skier
I guess so. I adjust all my own bindings minus mounting. Too many times have I gotten my skis back from a shop check/work and the forward pressure was set wrong.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mine's around a 300 - is that big or small?
Well, it's bigger than my BSL.

Usually the issue is with BSL's under 275-280mm. The shorter BSL requires more leverage and usually with everything else being equal (Height, Weight, Age and Skier Type) has a higher DIN.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
I'm 300 BSL and I've had issues stepping into Griffons. Not a big deal, but more so after hiking a ridge or something on a powder day and being required to build a ridiculously stable platform to get into them because more downward pressure is required.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm 300 BSL and I've had issues stepping into Griffons. Not a big deal, but more so after hiking a ridge or something on a powder day and being required to build a ridiculously stable platform to get into them because more downward pressure is required.

Bingo. It's not always disastrous - it's usually just a few extra seconds, although in hike to powder situations it can become egregious - but it's a little annoyance several times a day in the best case scenario. It's not quite bad enough to spend the $$$ to replace all my bindings - not with the hit to resale that would cause and the fact that I don't tend to keep my skis forever - but it's bad enough to make me cranky. And in rare instances, when my group is waiting for me (or not) on a powder day, infuriating.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
It's worth noting that I've had less issues with Jesters than Griffons, but that could just be an anecdotal coincidence...

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
So except for hostage skis and 'special brake sizing' you might say I have binding preferences :rolleyes:

Fat end bindings.JPG
Narrow end bindings.JPG

Gerry Rhoades

mtcyclist rippin' again
Industry Insider
I also have binding preferences, no Knee bindings or Marker Royal family bindings. I had Schizo Griffons on a pair of skis and always had a terrible time getting back into them in 12" or more of fresh snow. The skis and the bindings are now gone.

SkiBoot Rx always has some outstanding prices on bindings.

Last edited:

Sponsor